First pear tarte!

Bought four large pear William pears today. They are already so juicy they do not need poaching. I made it tonight to take to a lunch tomorrow. Sure makes the kitchen smell good. The frangipane was made from scratch. Really easy too, but worth the effort. Here tis!

33 Likes

Gorgeous!

2 Likes

Very very good looking! Yummy! :yum:

Bon appétit!

2 Likes

Wonderful and delicious looking as well.

2 Likes

Can we get a pic of it after you cut it. Interested to see how the guts look. Great on the outside though.

1 Like

If I could get a ticket, I’d be on the first bus to France!! Make that with those baby chickens…Olala! :yum:

1 Like

A patissier after my own heart! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Just got home! They loved it! Hey, it worked!

1 Like

Eaten too fast! Sorry.

Mark, I’m getting used to my new ovens that have more settings than my computer! They are hot air convection ovens with electric broiling coils. Very modern. Self cleaning too. I am finding the right back side of one oven is a bit warmer. Thus the darker side of the tarte. It is not burned. Cookies, evenly baked no problem. I might have to turn tartes half way through baking?

1 Like

@mrsg47

I’ll take two to go!

Mike

1 Like

Comin’ right up!

One of my ovens heats hotter in one back area. I set a timer for half way through the total bake time, and then rotate pans. I do this regardless of whether it is bread, pies, cake, etc.
Your tarte looked fabulous! I haven’t made frangipane from scratch… I will give it a go since you say it is really easy! :wink:
Would you like to share your recipe or recipe source for the pear tarte?

1 Like

I’ve only ever used convection ovens at work, and they were big enough to walk into, air circulated by a huge motor. And even they were not even. They never cooked as well at the bottom shelf or two.

Our Whirlpool has a fair oven but it’s hotter towards the back and I rotate bread if I have it full. I just assumed that’s the way all ovens are!

1 Like

Home convection ovens have improved a good deal. My previous house had a poor one that wasn’t worth using the convection settings, however when we moved into our current house, I invested some time and money to get a solid one. It is just a GE (ordered it from Lowes), but the temp differences in the oven are minimal and i don’t have to rotate things halfway through the bake. Just the other day i was baking 3 dozen cookies at a time (1 dozen on each rack), and they all turned out the same color.

The Tarte looks great!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Mark. I also like KSprairie’s suggestion to turn it half way through baking. France has a selection of excellent European models. They have Whirlpool, but its tiny. Parts here are a problem, so I went with something that could easily be repaired if necessary.

2 Likes

I see you didn’t peel them

2 Likes

Nope, I like the skin on. After baking its always melting and there is no crunch. Red pears here (the skin is always left on as they find them attractive. Please visit.

3 Likes

I’m another who likes to leave the skin on usually. I like the color and it probably adds a little nutrition, and, I don’t like peeling them.

Plum jam I now leave the skin on and after it is cooked I use an immersion blender to smooth it out.

2 Likes

I used the recipe from a ‘Beautiful Plate’ website. It had the best and easiest frangipane recipe. When they say Almond flour, you can make your own from almonds in a food processor. Pulse to a very crumbly, tiny stage of almonds before it becomes a paste. It is a great and authentic recipe. Works well and is not difficult. Since I slice my pears very, very thinly, there is no need for poaching them. Mrsg

2 Likes