First robins

Our first robins of the year are showing up now and they act like they own the place! Lovely.

5 Likes

Our resident Towhee couple arrived Thursday. I’m convinced there is a hawk nest on the back of the property.

1 Like

dont see them till mid- late apr. here. 3 years ago we got a late apr. 5in. snowfall and they were stuck with no food. i bought some dried mealworms from tsc and a big bag of rasins to keep them going till’ the snow melted. i know some on here say theyre a pest but here they just eat worms and such.

1 Like

Yeah I hate robins as they are so sneaky walking into the yard to try and fool my dogs. Take as many berries as they can get.
I saw one here a month ago. I have no idea why? But it’s not the first time I have seen them here in the dead of winter. One year they were all in this giant choke cherry tree that held its fruit all winter. A cardinal has been here all winter too. I really don’t know anything about them? I have seen them take fruit but if you scare them away they only come back for one or two fruits and take off or don’t come back at all. Extremely wary of people. Robins on the other hand will duck if you throw something at them. And not fly away! Eat your fruit right in front of you.

I think their name Turdus is too apt.

2 Likes

lol! Yeah it’s nice today and I saw four of them.

3 Likes

We’ve got a storm moving in and the birds are in a feeding frenzy. Right now we have eight to ten robins in and out of our lawn and big maple, three or four flickers, a half dozen chickadees, and a nuthatch. A few minutes ago we had a downy woodpecker. This time of year we might get anything moving through; some years we’ll have a pair of hermit thrushes. Birds can be a nuisance but I think they do us a whole hell of a lot more good than harm.

1 Like

Here in northern Virginia, the juncos are still around and the robins have started making appearances in the neighbors holly tree (still loaded with berries). They know the warmer weather is not far out.

The robins don’t cause me much trouble and I have a couple that have figured out when I’m digging around the yard they should hang out and get the grubs and easy picking worms from the freshly turned soil. For the past two years, one has been smart/dumb enough to sit just out of arms reach from me and wait for me to toss grubs it’s way. It’s a win-win and fun to have a buddy while doing that work.

3 Likes

I’ve had robins hang around and gobble up grubs too. Never got as well trained by one as you have been though;-)

Juncos are a winter bird here, too.

2 Likes

When we moved here our dog Freida May was a fit and fast Feist. Then she discovered grubs. Today Freida May is a fat, sausage roll that waddles. All from becoming a grub addict.

1 Like

Saw a bluebird two evenings ago, so yesterday I repaired a bluebird house and re-posted it.

3 Likes

The current issue of National Geographic has a neat chart showing where different species of birds rank in the pecking order at bird feeders. Bluejays and especially woodpecker species rank high.

1 Like

A robin breast jambalaya is mighty fine eaten, at least that’s what I’ve been told by some of the old timers.

1 Like

How many robins would that take?

1 Like

Here the Lincoln Sparrows try to take the feeders. But the Cardinals, Chickadees and Titmouse all muscle in. The field sparrows try but get mobbed… Hear the Bluebirds but have not seen them. Some kind of yellow bodied finch like birds are arriving. Do not know what they are.

Had a young Kingbird trying to control the front pens. He must not like all the commotion because he left.

Apparently we have robins year round, but not necessarily the same ones.

I had one crazy fucking robin last year. It would attack the windshields of parked cars and shit all over the side mirrors. Neighbors put a fake owl on the roof of their SUV and bags on the mirrors.

1 Like

Might be like the Bluebirds fighting themselves in the rearview mirrors.

i have lots of those little yellow finch like birds that like to hang out in my cherry trees. its funny as the black capped chickadees stay in the big pines and spruces and those little yellow birds stay in the orchard. you never see either in the others spot. a group of starlings discovered my chicken feed and been helping themselves. been trying to keep them out but they always seem to find a hole. going to have to be creative. worry they will give disease to the chics.

i breeder i got my Britanny from years ago told me never to scold her for pointing robins because they were sought after game at one time in the south. id shoot/eat the damned rock pigeons in town before eating robins. they would be easy prey though.