First salsa of the season, other canning adventures and classical music criticism

Ok, we didn’t grow any of these tomatoes, we got them from a food pantry who was giving away lots of produce this week. I think they actually came from Appharvest, the massive greenhouse which I worked at for a year (quit a year ago). We bought the peppers, cilantro, ACV, etc.

We ended up making 14 pints of spicy salsa, looks like it came out alright. I had a bit left over and tried it today after letting it chill in the frig overnight. Not real spicy, but pretty good regardless.

Some pics of the processes…

Cooking the mixture down in a big pot to make it more chunky and not as runny. We like it thick as opposed to most store bought stuff.

Before it went into the canner

Finished product, looks pretty good. All the jars sealed.

I have our recipe if anyone’s interested.

10 Likes

Yes on the recipe, do you need a lot of peppers.

1 Like

I think one quart jar would be a year’s supply for us.

1 Like

Ok, I’ll post in a bit, I’m working on some other things right now. But to answer your pepper question, per pot we used about 5 decent sized jalapeno’s, a couple serrano’s and a large medium heat banana pepper. Plus we gave it a generous dose of powdered cayenne pepper and some pepper flakes. I like the hotter stuff, my wife not so much. It’s medium hot to me, she might think otherwise.

1 Like

Yeah my wife’s not a big fan of Mexican food, but I grew up on the stuff back home. And living in Texas for 30 years, well, let’s say I’ve had my share of Tex Mex food. Salsa is almost one of the main food groups for me.

I “sampled” so much of it last night while making it, I didn’t even have supper. I started chopping up the tomatoes about 2pm, and after she helped me out, I got done with the last batch about midnight.

4 Likes

Well that explains it!

2 Likes

I love salsa if it’s not hot.

2 Likes

The reason I ask about peppers is so I can save them for the salsa. Right now I have jalapeño, poblano, and something else, could be cayenne pepper. I will have lots of tomatoes from my garden.

Ok, here’s a rough recipe of what we used, it’s an offshoot of the Spicy Tomato Salsa found in the Ball Blue Book canning guide.

This will be long. I’m adding instructions for the canning process if you’re not familiar with that part.

This is for 4-5 pints-

(Before starting, you’ll need to put on a pair or couple pairs of nitrile, or latex gloves, as you can get chemical burns cutting up hot peppers. Even jalapeños. Plus, if possible, cut up the hot peppers outside, as the fumes can get a bit intense in an enclosed area.)

We used about 4qt of tomatoes, after they were processed for use. I think weight wise, it may have been 8lb of tomatoes to begin with. Processing involves taking ripe tomatoes, and immersing them in a sink with boiling water (maybe a couple quarts of boiling water) for a few minutes, then into a sink with cold water, with ice cubes to chill it. This facilitates getting the peel off the tomatoes.

Then take the tomatoes out of the cold water, take off the peel, cut off any bad spots, and cut out the stem core. Then cut them into quarters, then again, until you have chunks about half the size of an orange wedge. You’ll need about 3.5-4qt of these chunks.

Put these into a large pot, we use a 5qt pot, it should mostly fill up the pot.

3-4 decent sized white or red onions, you’ll need about 3 cups of onions, dice into small bits.

Take 4-5 medium jalapeños, cut in half, cut out the pith and seeds, cut into small pieces, we used about 1-1.5 cups.

Cut up a small handful of cilantro into small pieces.

We didn’t have any, but you can cut up about 4-8 decent sized cloves of garlic, minced. We used garlic powder, about a half teaspoon.

We also cut up a couple Serrano and a large medium hot banana peppers. Cut in half, remove pith and seeds, then dice into small pieces. This is if you want spicier salsa.

We also added a small amount of cayenne pepper powder, maybe a half teaspoon. Salt amount will vary, we may have used about one or two tablespoons. Start with one and add more if needed. We also added a couple shakes of black pepper and pepper flakes.

We used about one pint of apple cider vinegar, and a teaspoon of lime juice. And, to give the mixture a bit more body, we also add a small can of tomato paste.

I believe that’s it, you don’t need to add water as the tomatoes will provide that.

Give everything a good stir in the pot, put on stove and cook on high heat, you want to get the mixture boiling. Depending on how thick you want it, you’ll have to cook it a while, I think it took a half hour to get ours to cook down to the consistency we wanted. Give it stir a bit to keep it from scorching, especially as it gets cooked down. You’ll probably need to skim out the tomato foam as it cooks at first.

Taste it as it cooks, take a teaspoon or so, put it in a small bowl, and taste it with a different spoon. Blow on it to cool before tasting. Add salt or other seasoning to taste.

While it’s cooking down, you should have already prepared the jars, lids and rings. We used pint jars. They should be thoroughly cleaned, we usually wash them in the sink in hot water with a teaspoon of bleach to sterlize them. Rinse thoroughly and set upside down to let them drain and dry. Take your rings and lids, wash them in hot soapy water, rinse, then place in a small pot with enough water to cover them. Put on stove burner and put on low heat. You don’t want the water boiling, as some folks say that can damage the seal on the lids, but I’m not certain on that.

Prepare your canner, it should be big and deep enough to handle a few pints. Fill up with water, maybe about 2-3qt. Place on large burner on stove, set to medium heat to get water warmed up. Add a teaspoon of vinegar into the water, this keeps the jars from getting a film on the glass.

After your mixture is cooked down to your liking, place jars on a towel, and start adding the salsa to the jars. You’ll need a funnel to pour the mixture into the jars to avoid making a mess. Be careful with the hot mixture! Fill up the jars up to a half inch below the rim. Continue until all the jars are filled. Clean off the rims with a clean cloth or paper towel to remove any material that would prevent the lids from sealing.

Use a magnet stick, take a lid out of the pot of warm water, center on jar, then take a ring out, place on top of jar, lightly tighten onto jar. Not too tight, you’re basically just wanting the ring to hold the lid down while it processes.

Canner should have a tray or some kind of item to keep the jars off the bottom of canner. Place jar into canner, and repeat this until all the jars are loaded into canner. You may have to use tongs to lower jars into the water. Cover jars with enough water so you have about an inch of water over the tops of the jars.

Turn up heat and cover canner until water starts boiling. Once water is in a rolling boil, set a timer for 15 minutes. You can probably back off the heat once it starts boiling, and slide the lid open a bit to let the steam vent some.

After 15 minutes are up, turn off heat, let set 5 minutes. Take out jars with tongs, set on towel to cool off, don’t touch the rings or lids while the jars cool. You might hear a pinging noise, which means jars are sealing. Allow to cool off, we usually let them set overnight.

Check jars later, take off rings, and verify lids have sealed by very lightly pulling on the edges, and make sure center of lid is pulled down. If lid hasn’t sealed, place in frig and consume soon. The other sealed jars can be wiped off, lids labeled, and put into storage. Some folks leave the rings on after they seal, but we take them off when we put the jars in the cellar.

6 Likes

Your recipe sounds at least similar to my wife’s. We end up with quite a few more hot peppers though (seeds/ribs/everything).

My wife usually makes 20-25 quarts and probably at least that same number of pints of salsa every year. We’re just about out now from last year’s batch. From the looks of our pepper and tomato patch, we’ll have a banner year unless we get hit with a freak hailstorm or something.

3 Likes

Yeah we probably could make quarts, but the recipe calls for pints. With all the acid from the tomatoes, acv and lime juice, it’s probably safe for quarts.

Our pepper patch is pathetic this year, so we had to buy ours for this batch. We should have enough tomatoes later in the season provided my plants don’t get all blown over. We had a couple severe storms blow thru over the last couple weeks, including yesterday and that’s messed up some of my plants. Some are already over 6ft high and loaded with fruit, so it’s going to be a struggle to get them to maturity.

Last summer it was really warm and more importantly dry, so our plants lasted almost into the fall. This year we’ve had so much rain already and the plants are starting to suffer.

1 Like

In wet years our gardens don’t do well either. We haven’t had a wet year for quite a while though. Probably at least 5 years now.

June was unseasonably hot for our area this year. Lots of 90s. Next to zero rain however. I actually prefer dry years for our gardens, I can control how much water they get and when they get it. July has been cooler than June so far, but still next to zero rain. Lots of sunny days so far this summer. 10 day forecast looks like that continues. We’ll likely have tomatoes and peppers until frost hits this fall.

1 Like

Looks good Bob. Just curious, you are obviously canning this salsa to have it around after summer, but I am curious if you ever make “fresh” salsa. Or do you ever save some out before cooking it to use right away?

We generally prefer the fresh kind, although fresh may be inaccurate in that the one we usually buy (Costco’s) comes in a sealed tub and keeps for a month or more in the fridge. But I think it is uncooked. I am curious how Costco gets it to last so long, since my home-made similar salsa rarely would last more than a week. Could be they make it more acidic (citric acid and calcium chloride). Next time I have a decent tomato crop, I will have to experiment some.

BTW, noticed you don’t put cumin in your salsa, that seems to be a staple spice for Mexican food in these parts.

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s a lot of work, I really didn’t want to make it, but we suddenly had about 25lb of tomatoes and we didn’t want it to go to waste. Like I said, I started on the tomatoes about 2 or 3pm and finished up about midnight. Did a 9 pint batch the first time and was going to just can the last 7-8lb of tomatoes that I had already diced up, but my wife wanted to make more salsa, so that was enough for another 5 pints.

As to fresh salsa, I had less than a quarter pint left over from the last batch, and put that in a little container and put it in the frig last night to cool. I had that for a afternoon snack today. Yeah, the Costco or whatever other store brand probably uses more preservatives compared to ours. We have an opened jar we made last year, and it tasted okay, I just had some on a taco salad. It had been opened about 2-3 weeks ago, but yeah, eventually it’ll go bad.

No cumin, I didn’t know that about it, but I have seen it in some salsa recipes.

1 Like

My wife makes salsa fresca quite a bit differently than the stuff she cooks and cans in a water bath. It’s probably only good in the fridge for a few days. I prefer the canned stuff to be honest. No cumin in any of her salsa either.

2 Likes

I noticed a mistake in my processing post. At the end it should say-

Some folks leave the rings on after they seal, but we take them off when we put the jars in the cellar.

You definitely don’t take off the sealed lids after processing, unless you’re going to consume it soon. I’ve heard you shouldn’t leave the rings on in storage as that prevents you from telling if the seal has broken.

@smsmith, that almost sounds like pico de gallo, which kinda is what our mixture tastes like before we cook it down. But like you, I prefer the cooked version.

1 Like

I think salsa fresca and pico de gallo are pretty much the same thing. I could be wrong

This is closer to how I make my salsa, though the recipe I’m in the process of settling on is not a true salsa fresca either.

I use fresh garden tomatoes, uncooked, some onion and maybe garlic or cilantro, lime juice, and a little salt, but then I add a secret ingredient: roasted tomatillos, both standard greens and ripe yellow. Salsa fresca and pico are great for flavor, but they are watery and can be kinda “standard” tasting unless you have exceptionally good tomatoes. The tomatillos fix both problems. All the pectin thickens up the salsa very nicely, and the ripe yellow tomatillo adds a unique fruity sweet note–and don’t over do it, that flavor is quite intense and they are very sweet. Keep the sweet fruit in the background. I think most people use mango for the same effect, but the yellow tomatillo has the advantages of also thickening the salsa, being way less work to prepare, being ‘different’ and ‘new’ instead of “oh, it’s mango, ok,” and being something I can grow.

Since the prep is pretty simple, I just whip it up as needed during the summer months when I have tomatoes and ripe yellow tomatillos.

I’ll admit that I don’t bother with canned salsa. I grow beefsteak and slicing tomatoes, and cooked they just don’t taste all that different from grocery store tomatoes. Given the work involved, I’d want something that is vastly better than what I can get for a few bucks. And, if I’m being honest, I don’t eat much canned salsa anymore, during the off-season, I prefer just making a pico or tomato-heavy guac, and during summer I make the above mentioned salsa quasi-fresca rojo-verde-amarillo.

Not knocking those who make their own canned stuff–I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m saying I’m lazy. :smiley:

But yeah, get you some Queen a Malinalco tomatillo seeds. Crazy productive, early, big tomatillos that ripen succulent, fruity, and sweet enough to eat out of hand. Roast 'em and make a salsa. It’ll blow your mind.

2 Likes

I actually didn’t like Queen of Malinalco the one year I planted it. Too sweet/low acid for me. Maybe I’m weird, but I prefer my tomatillos to be tart, and for most Mexican recipes that use them, the acid is an important component of the dish.

I did like the fruity flavor though. I can see it making an awesome salsa with regular green or purple ones mixed in. I had just made the mistake of making Queen of Malinalco be the only tomatillo I planted that year.

1 Like

You can put whatever kind of peppers in it you want, according to your heat tolerance levels. I have a pretty high tolerance, on a scale of 1 to 10, I’m maybe a 7, my wife, though, is maybe a 3, she thinks jalapeno’s are too hot. I’ve grown several different really hot varieties like 7-pots, habanero’s, Bulgarian Carrot, and so on. None this year, tho. I made a hot sauce a few years ago with habanero’s in it, turned out pretty good.

We didn’t have any garlic, but that would up the spiciness a bit also. Used garlic powder instead, which isn’t really a valid substitute.

I can’t really rate these batches for hotness levels. I’m saving a jar to sample soon to rate it.

1 Like