Flavor Gem pluot in Spain

Much has been discussed about the variety of pluot Flavor Gem:

Creating confusion with other varieties such as Emerald Gem, and to clear your doubts, I show you some photographs of this variety.

First your patent

The pictures

I’m not going to put the typical photo of the fruit next to the packet of tobacco out of respect for Mrs Gibson (I have to give up tobacco)

The comment:

It is medium in size (keep in mind that it is its first year of fruiting), but what it lacks in size, it has plenty of flavor hahaha.
It is delicious, semi-complex flavor and extra-super sweet.
It is a variety that has given me a very pleasant surprise.
Is very good.

Regards
Jose

11 Likes

Hi Steven.
Thank you for you like .
I knew you were going to like it, because it is a controversial variety and they had not yet seen his images clearly in photographs on the forum.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Wow Jose that brix is above average. Would you compare it to flavor queen on the sweetness? F queen is a big hit with my friends and family

1 Like

Hi John.
No man no, Flavor Queen is a pluot (from my point of view) in the middle step, within the entire range of Zaiger pluots.
Flavor Queen, its normal brix is around 18º, and in a good year and well cultivated, it can reach 22º brix, but it does not have a powerful flavor.
Flavor Gem, in addition to its “excessive” brix level, has a powerful flavor.
I would place this variety at the taste level of the Flavor Blast variety (both varieties extremely sweet and tasty).

If you like Flavor Queen, you have a lot better varieties than it, in the for home gardens range.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

For my taste Flavor Queen is one dimensional. Sweet and nothing else.

2 Likes

Hi Steven, we have overlapped by answering exactly the same thing.
Flavor Queen is sweet and nothing more (very flat flavor).

John, the first two varieties of pluots that you should have in your orchard are Flavor Supreme and Flavor King, and then little by little other varieties ( but well chosen ).

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Absolutely, couldn’t agree more.

2 Likes

Hahahaha, it shows that we have similar palates (the same tastes), but it is enough to try Flavor Supreme and Flavor King just once, to know that you are in another fruity dimension.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

Someone had a short thread about chill hours for Flavor Supreme. A store tag with 400-500 and DWN with 600-700.

The lower end and I buy scions.

The upper end and I cross it off my list forever.

PS Flavor Gem only shows up in a search in one place. Dave Wilson Nursery. Even then it’s just on the long list of Zaiger fruit with no information on it.

@Jose-Albacete is teasing us again with varieties we can’t find!

:joy:

One day we may all show up in your orchard…

2 Likes

@Shibumi
Apparently they don’t have a license for it.

1 Like

Richard, I’m sorry for the messages directed at you.
You were referring to Davewilson, and you did not want to refer to the fact that I was not licensed to have this variety.
I apologize to you and edit the messages.

(damn Google translator)

Message edited due to a misunderstanding (Google Translate made a bad translation)

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

It is what it is.

I should really just be happy with what I can control and try to be successful with the handful of varieties I have or can get via scions.

In high school in 1981 I went overseas for the first time. I was so surprised to see car models I didn’t know existed… Even from manufacturers that sold many vehicles in the US.

I started to get how big the world is. No surprise fruit tree varieties and accessibility is no different, be it climate, market strategy, or some other factor.

2 Likes

Message edited due to a misunderstanding (Google Translate made a bad translation)

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

Regards
Jose

Wow, I was offline working on a new fig article and missed all the drama!

Jose, I’m so glad you sent a PM - and I saw it before coming to this thread.

1 Like

A picture of the patent of Flavor Gem

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

I know nothing about pluots. I have an Adara on Prunus A. rootstock. I assume I can graft them to Adara? Can they survive Northern Illinois 5b winters?

1 Like

Hi Masbustelo.
Pluots, like the rest of prunus, tolerate very cold winters well, however in Illinois you have 2 possible problems:

• If I remember correctly, Illinois has a lot of humidity, so it would be advisable for you to use rootstock resistant to very humid soils such as Krymsk-86, but if you have Mirabolan, Adara, or any other compatible stone fruit rootstock in grafting with plum , and It works well on your land, you can use it for pluots.

• And the second and biggest problem is that pluots, like the Japanese type plum varieties, have a very early flowering, so if you have spring frosts, it is a big problem, but if you have varieties of plums such as Santa Rosa and work well in your climate, the pluots will also fruit well.

They are very rustic and undemanding like their cousins Japanese plums, and the only problem is their very early flowering.

Regards
Jose

1 Like

Thank you, Jose.

1 Like