Flavor Gem pluot

Absolutely! Plan on searching up a storm!

Very good info. Gives me hope for success in my zone. Thanks!

Well seeing is believing!

Dapple Dandy

This was my 2017 harvest Flavor King in the center

Left to right, DD and FK

Various pluots from 2018

Not really related but 7 days later a number of my figs were ripe too

10 Likes

Drew is in Michigan, not quite the east coast. I think his area is not as hot or as humid as where we are.

Hopefully, @scottfsmith and @speedster1 will chime in. They are closer to you and grow some pluots.

My grafts of Flavor King, Flavor Granade and Flavor Suprene have not grown much, unfortunately.

Thanks Drew. I live fairly close to you and have been trying to find out what pluots and plums grow best here. I’ve got two dapple dandy trees going in this year and a bunch of root stock. I might try to barter for some scion wood from you next year. I’m also trying toka, superior, green gage, methley, prunus Americana, and shiro this year.

While my trees and grafts have grown very well and quite comparable to my Asian plums, I’ve had a very difficult time fruiting pluots. They bloom too early for my region and the blossoms continually get frozen out. A nice crisp pluot is one of my favorite fruits but they are hard to recommend here in 6A/B.

Yeah they don’t here. I agree that may be a problem, luckily here it’s cold then it’s warm. Rarely does it get warm in the winter, warm in the winter here is 40F. I think we had 2 days above 40 so far. Now that is changing but bloom here is not till the last week of April, first week of May. The Great Lakes really help buffer everything and it works!

Yeah I trade like a beast, but even for postage is fine. I will need Green Gage scion next year, so grow that one well!

@Drew51 Why didn’t FS work for you? Lack of pollination? Did you hand pollinate?

Yeah lack of pollination I guess? I did try some hand pollinating, it didn’t work, I’ll try again this year. I still have it. This is a troublesome one here, too much work!

1 Like

Should be polinized by Emerald drop, Flavor Queen, Santa Rosa,Geo pride,Late santa rosa, and Flavorosa pluots.

1 Like

That seems to be common with Flavor Supreme.I planted a tree a few years ago and probably had two fruit.So,a bunch of other Plum and Pluot varieties are sharing the branches.There are still some flowers that bloom of the original that get hand pollinated,so maybe some year,things may change.The thing grows like a weed though.bb

3 Likes

That’s what I am trying to understand, why FS gives poor fruit set even with some hand pollination…

My tree is full of flower buds this year and I am planning on extensive hand pollination… willl see the outcome…

@Bradybb yes, my tree is very vigorous too.

I’ve had good fruit set on FS with extensive hand pollination. It’s also happened with bees. But most of the time the bees just fly right by the FS blossoms or get close and fly off. FS is not attractive to bees.

At the time I had good set there were numerous other pluots and plums to provide pollen.

3 Likes

Keep a watchful eye out for FS aborting it’s buds. Mine’s were loaded with buds too, most aborted.

1 Like

That’s what I have read here several times, but what puzzles me are reports of low set even with hand pollination. I have six other pluots and will try to use pollens from different varieties in hand pollination.

@jaypeedee last year, it aborted all of its flowers after I hand pollinated it with apricot/aprium pollen. Not sure why, but it was on its second leaf, so I thought may be the tree wants to focus on establishing itself before it starts reproducing. The other curious observation that I had last year, was that I could hardly see any pollens on pluot flowers in general, while my cots, nectarines and cherries had plenty.

2 Likes

This may be a case of not having the right pollen.
It was mentioned that Emerald drop, Flavor Queen, Santa Rosa, and Geo pride work. I have all of them and will collect pollen from all to try.

Do you have that one Jon? I tried this one I think but I didn’t get a take. I may ask you next year for some wood.

1 Like

I didn’t know you had Geo Pride. It hasn’t produced any yet has it? Is it a few branches or a tree?

Just curious, I planted a GP tree last year and was wondering how it grows and tastes. Heard it was both tart to go along with the normal sweetness of a pluot, which sounds appealing.

You have harvested Dapple Dandy and Flavor King. Does either have any tart to them? I have tasted a DD, seemed pretty sweet, but not a lot else, but still tasty.

1 Like

@subdood_ky_z6b here is an older post from @fruitnut

Geo Pride pluot, another sugar high

2 Likes

Drew, I have tasted Flavorosa but I don’t have it. It was rather bland, but who knows, may be a lot better home grown. I got that info above from Dave Wilson nursery, aside from Emerald Drop, which I have noticed blooms almost to the day Flavor supreme blooms. FS does not set well unless the conditions are right during spring, but we always get some, regardless of conditions. With good conditions during bloom it will set a decent crop, but I never have to thin any but the doubles and the fruit is very large and tasty. We like it so much we have 3 trees and the fruit keeps well, like a month in the fridge. Probably the best pluot to our taste, right there with Flavor King.

4 Likes

It is a graft I put on last spring. Patent expired. I put it on a peach tree and it grew like mad! It should fruit this year, 2nd year. It’s about 2.5 feet long already.

Yes I have harvested FK and DD for a few years now, this will be the 4th year of harvest. Yes they are sweet. If looking for tart, which I love. Nadia is good, has a nice bite! So does Weeping Santa Rosa. This year I should taste many more. The pluots are very sweet. I like both sweet fruits and tart, but the sweet have to have more than just sugar.

I had fruit one year of 6 on one branch. That branch had Black Knot. I could not tolerate it in the orchard so removed it, and lost the fruit. The only time it set. It set nothing last year. It has other pluots grafted to it, but I left a branch. It has a lot of buds. I will keep it and hope I can taste fruit. If I get fruit I will be growing out the seed.

2 Likes