Flavor Grenade

Do you have another plum/pluot as pollinator for your Grenade? I just want to make sure all those fruitlets are pollinated and will not drop on their own in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Iā€™ll happily spend time thinning knowing Iā€™m getting my first fruit.

I always wondered why I read to thin after fruit sizes a lot more than Iā€™d think. Maybe because they are waiting for natural drop before finishing it by hand.

Iā€™m thinking thinning to one fruit every 5-6 inches.

1 Like

I canā€™t grow them on my property although it sets fruit just fine, although most J. plums require a lot of thinning and I donā€™t find FG to be more a hassle than others to thin- Iā€™m comparing it to other J. plums-not other pluots.

Wasps tend to destroy the fruit before it ripens for me on years it sets well. On other sites with just grafted branches attached to a J. plum they donā€™t seem to illicit so much attention; They can certainly be a pleasing late plum when harvested firm-ripe. Crunchy sugar juice.

Maybe I should cut down my tree and graft the variety to something else. I donā€™t need that much of its fruit since it really only excels for fresh eating. Keeps a long time in the fridge though when picked firm-ripe. Thatā€™s what it was bred for.

Iā€™ve never had a pluot self thin. But then Iā€™ve always had a lot of pollinators. Most people solve the issue by leaving way to many fruit. Thatā€™s not my style. But your tree is probably still small so it wonā€™t be that bad. Iā€™d hate to have a hundred acres of FG in a commercial setting with big trees that need thinning by hand. That would be like setting your bank account on fire.

2 Likes

Commercial growers thin plums and pluots?

Not sure about California, but here in the NE some of them even stopped thinning apples! I visited three orchards last year and their apples were very clearly not thinned, one owner even said it to me that he does not thin. So one year they will have a bumper crop of tasteless apples and the other year either no crop on that variety or a small tasty crop. It really annoys me, because I can no longer rely on orchards for stocking up on apples for the winter months, and my trees are still small and donā€™t produce enough to last a month.

1 Like

Yes, they do in CA. My neighbor had Santa Rosa and other plums and apricots he didnā€™t thin. Youā€™d no believe how much fruit was on those trees.

2 Likes

PS my Splash pluot graft on the Flavor Grenade seems to be takingā€¦though looking at the tree today it probably doesnā€™t need another pollinator!

1 Like

Yup, it appears to be a standard management practice. https://coststudyfiles.ucdavis.edu/uploads/cs_public/05/1e/051eabc3-9bdd-45cc-9c85-f122f8f275f0/2016plumssjvfinaldraft112316.pdf

I donā€™t understand why a conventional commercial orchard would not at least thin apples chemically. That seems like a very poor business decision. Getting workers to do hand thinning can be next to impossible in this state. They prefer sitting on machinery, at least in my town.

2 Likes

My husband and I went absolutely nuts over flavor grenadeā€™s from the local farmers market. We were so pleased that we had already purchased a tree. It is young though, so I donā€™t know when we will get our own here. Most of the varieties I have I picked on advice and research.

We also have a flavor supreme but havenā€™t found any plums to try yet. I hope we like it, but I heard itā€™s a stingy bearer and might even have a flower flaw that makes it hard to pollinate.

Anyways, itā€™s been a few years now. How are you liking your flavor grenade tree?

3 Likes

So this is the third year in the ground for my FG.

It has flowered each spring since the first year I planted it. The base is 2.5-3" in diameter, about 8 feet tall. Iā€™ve been keeping the height managed by summer pruning.

This is the first year itā€™s starting to size fruit.

Iā€™ve never eaten a Flavor Grenade pluot but bought based on this forum and the fact the fruit holds on the tree for a long harvest. Stores here donā€™t sell any variety in fruit.

3 Likes

Interesting! I ā€œthinkā€ Iā€™m going to get good fruit set on my plums and pluots for the first time this year (fingers crossed). Good to know they need such heavy thinning. Is a good rule of thumb to leave a single fruit about a fist apart? Local growers here have been saying to wait for the ā€œMay dropā€ before thinning. Any advice on that?

And finally, I was wondering what you do with all the thinned fruit. Just leave it under the tree as a mulch? Because even in those tiny fruits, I bet the tree has put in a bunch of work and nutrients. So my thought was to mulch them.

1 Like

If I wait for the fruit to be much larger I was thinking of making plum extract. Many cultures figured out a way to eat as much of their resources as they could.

If I thin early I wonā€™t get that chance.

I know the resources the tree spends sizing the fruit I eventually remove will limit the growth, but in reality I donā€™t want a huge tree anyway.

Iā€™ll have to do some thinking on this. Maybe I thin to twice what I think I should let ripen, then thin half when about half size to make he syrup.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a nice tree. Not very big. Only a few hours over several sessions to thin.

It is usually stingy to bear but is one of the all time great fruits. Zaiger, the breeder, tested tens of thousands after this one but only stuck lightning in a box one time.

The flowers donā€™t interest bees so set can be little or nothing. Hand pollination is tedious but does the job if you have good pollen around.

1 Like

I donā€™t wait for May/June drop on anything. We get so much sun here that very little drops. And by then the tree really has wasted resources. Thin early and then thin again. Youā€™ll still have too much fruit.

Iā€™ve almost never thought I thinned too much. Have often thought not enough. And havenā€™t had drop after thinning. If you thin early and enough, half the fruit wonā€™t fall off later.

1 Like

That is good to hear Fruitnut. Although I have not tried a flavor supreme fruit as of yet, I have had dapple dandy.

I tried dapple dandy from the farmers market and I tried it from the grocery store and honestly I just donā€™t give a hoot about it and would never buy a tree.

Then I saw pictures of flavor supreme, and it looks like dapple dandy, and then I got worried that I was not going to like the fruit on that tree

What do you think of dapple dandy? How does it compare to flavor supreme?

I have also tried pluots from Trader Joeā€™s, and nothing compares to our beloved flavor grenade that we got from the farmers market. Iā€™m grateful that I will be getting able to get some this season and hopefully until my own tree produces.

What are some other great pluots?

1 Like

Dapple Dandy canā€™t hold a candle to FS. Itā€™s like night and day. DD is OK. Iā€™d certainly eat it if nothing else was ready. But there are many much better pluots.

The best pluots Iā€™ve had are FS and F King. Many other good ones in the same class or better than FG.

1 Like

Flavor King and Geo Pride.

1 Like

The widely available ones that Iā€™d avoid are DD and F Queen. FQ is very sweet but no flavor.

Also IME avoid Cot-n-candy and Flavor Delight apriums.

1 Like