Flavor Treat pluot vs Emerald Beaut plum

That is really dialed in.Is that with trees in ground,inside your greenhouse?What about trees in pots,do they take a different amount? Thanks,Brady

The 0.6 inch per 10 days is in ground inside greenhouse. The outer trees do root outside the greenhouse which can require adjustments.

Potted trees are another question. I never figured out anything other than watering once a day and hoping for the best. Sometimes that worked great, in fact usually did.

Fruitnut, yes Iā€™m near Portland. mugs47, mineā€™s not Bavay, but Bavay is a really good one.

Portland is dry enough in summer to grow some great fruit. On deep soil you might not need to water much all summer. And itā€™s not too hot so trees wonā€™t be over stressed with dry soil.

Iā€™m happy you are enjoying success.

1 Like

Thanks Fruitnut. Now I just need to do something about the thrips. Iā€™d posted before asking what might be causing the scarring on my plums. Since then Iā€™ve seen some pictures of thrip damage and it seemed like a pretty good match.

The summers here are very dry, following what are usually very rainy winter and spring. and my soil is pretty heavy. That gage tree didnā€™t get any water from me, but it is close enough to our septic drain field that Iā€™m sure its getting water from there, if not ground water as well.

Could be wrong but Iā€™m thinking spinosad has been working on blueberry thrips.

It may be difficult for me to spray because the tree is multi-grafted (doesnā€™t all bloom at the same time) and apparently the window for spraying for thrips is small, since they do their damage at such an early stage.

Iā€™m trying EB, but have some doubt it will ripen here. FG reached about 20 here, which is more than adequate for me and anyone else that tasted it. People raved about Elephant Hearts that seemed to top out at only 16 this year. The Jā€™s taste sweeter at lower brix than the Euros. I think extra juice can alter the brix reading without lowering the sweetness in ones mouth as the saliva is already diluting things.

That extremely sweet Honey Royale, I wrote about was the least juicy nectarine Iā€™ve ever eaten. Didnā€™t miss the wetness though.

Itā€™s so strange Steve, your Emerald Beaut plum fruits are oval Heart shape and my Emerald Beaut plum are round flat shape. Wonder they are the same fruit tree from Dave Wilson nursery?
I ordered my tree from Raintree nursery 3 years ago. Could you take time find out the answer for all of us please. Thank you Steve.

1 Like

This is Emerald Beaut as of today. I picked up the trees from Bay Lauren two years ago, and they are tagged as DNW plum.

3 Likes

My Emerald Beaut plum from Raintree 3 years ago. I will look for the tags in storage somewhere later. Anyway your EB fruits look round the same with mine . But some of us EB have oval heart shaped fruits, freestone, firm and crisp texture . Letā€™s find more information and make sure they are the same tree. Very soon I will buy some from the market when they available for comparison. Itā€™s very interesting.

1 Like

I first tasted the fruit two years ago at a farmer market in San Jose. When I asked for the name of the ā€œplumā€, the kid just grumpily told me ā€œItā€™s a pluotā€. When I looked on the DWN website for information Emerald Beaut plum seems to match so we bought the trees. The fruits we got last year were not really ā€œcrunchyā€ but still very firm and good. I always thought it was because my area was too hot for them, like in the descriptions for nectarines only the ā€œhigh chillā€ varieties have firm or crunchy texture.

1 Like

As far as Iā€™m concerned, a pluot is a plum. Iā€™m not sure that itā€™s been proven that pluots are a genuine accomplishment of breeding between species, but if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duckā€¦

I believe the idea of interbreeding is sometimes a marketing ploy to make the product stand out. To me, a pluot is a plum that ripens while still remaining firm. This is the opposite of an apricot, which doesnā€™t reach peak sweetness on the tree until itā€™s a bit soft and canā€™t be stored for long during distribution.

If you called a pluot a plear, it would be just as similar to a pear as a plum is.

3 Likes

Mine are clearly not round and they donā€™t get that yellow. They are getting an amber color now but not yellow. They wonā€™t be ripe for another month and my fruit is 1-2 months ahead of the PNW.

We appearently have different fruits. But itā€™s not 100% that mine is true. The yellow fruits look more like Flavor Queen. They should be ripe now and yellow.

6 Likes

This is what my EB plum looks like:

https://www.davewilson.com/product-information-commercial/product/emerald-beaut-plum

This is Flavor Queen as picked green by DWN:

https://www.davewilson.com/product-information-commercial/product/flavor-queen-pluot-interspecific-plum

The yellow fruit in post 29 isnā€™t EB.

2 Likes

Yes you right. and the size of your fruit not too big either. My Emerald Beaut most of them look really big and round flat shape like none astringent persimmon and will be ready for harvesting soon in a couple weeks even in up north Seattle areas I donā€™t think the weather make them so differently. But I bought it from Raintree which is always guarantees true to name and fruit. So weird, maybe they sold me Emerald Beaut plum version for cool short summer areas.
Thank you for information Steve .

1 Like

Post 29 is mine. Seems like the fruits are not EB based on the shape and ripening date.

However I have a question: EB is supposed to have freestone, why your post on Septā€™17 under ā€œEmerald Beaut Plumā€ stated

ā€œMine are over ripe at this point. One I just ate was 24 brix. But it wasnā€™t freestone. Looks like yours only no green left, just yellow.ā€

Also the leaves of the EB and Flavor Queen are not exactly the same.
The leaves on the two EB trees look like the one on the left, and the leaves on the three FQ trees look like the one on the right

My conclusion is: maybe the trees from DWN evolve/change with time, or they donā€™t know what they are tagging/selling, so sad. However I am happy with whatever the fruits are, they are still much better than what they sell in store nowadays.

2 Likes

I know for sure my tree is not Emerald Beaut plum and the fruit texture more juicy not too crisp but still superior flavor compare with the others Asian plum I ate.
At least ripping fruit turned out golden yellow not deep purple like Nadia Cherry Plum. Below is the picture of the leaves of my Emerald Beaut Asian from Raintree nursery version Spring 2016 on Mariana root stock.
I hope to have more room to plant the other version of Emerald Beaut even might not ripping in the areas of short cool Summer.

3 Likes

I am not quite sure about interbreeding to have new plants like pluots or apriums. However, I have many different plums and pluots, and I noticed that depending on what are flowering at the same time each year, the fruits on the Splash pluot trees may end up differently. Same with citrus fruits, especially mandarin.

1 Like

For me pluots have been clearly better fruits than plums. The pluots are sweeter and several have better flavor. I started out with about equal plums and pluots. THe plums got whacked one by one until only EB remains. At that time I had about 8 pluots better than any other plum I tried. EB is similar to the pluots.

4 Likes