Flavor Treat pluot vs Emerald Beaut plum

@murky. My tree really big I will send it to you in November. It’s very good, juicy and extremely sweet , ten times better than Shiro plum.
My friend’s peach tree in Seattle this year looks so good, I think maybe the Frost peach. I just come back from flower world nursery but the frost peach out for now,

so I get Hardy Red Nectarine.

6 Likes

What happened to Flavor Treat? I see it mentioned in a lot of older threads, but I’m never able to find it online or at stores to buy. I can’t even find it on Dave Wilson’s site. I’d like to add a late pluot but is my only choice Flavor Finale at this point?

Flavor Grenade is fairly late and a few people have Fall Fiesta.

Flavor Treat has been a big disappointment for me.
Just an average fruit, nothing special at all. My first
tree died in its second year for no reason at all, and
I’m top grafting my other tree. Don’t bother. That’s
probably why you can’t find it.

I’ve grown Flavor Treat in my greenhouse for 15 yrs. I like it better than Flavor Finale. It’s later in maturity, bigger, absolutely beautiful, and more consistent in quality. But it’s probably too late for most situations outdoors. My greenhouse has a 320 day growing season. Is it the best pluot, no, but it’s very good and in Sept and Oct it’s very much appreciated. It is the last stone fruit each yr that I look forward to. I have ripe stone fruit April into October, about 6 months worth. The first and last to ripen of any stone fruit is seldom the best but can still be worth growing if you have the right conditions.

4 Likes

I have flavor grenade, which I love. I’m just looking for something later if possible. My trees lose their leaves after Thanksgiving in southern california, so I have a long growing season. The only late season pluot I see is flavor finale on Dave Wilson’s site.

1 Like

Fall Fiesta is a commercial fruit so unless you can buy one hundred at a time you won’t get a tree. At one time you could special order the commercial trees. That program has been stopped
So some here have a few commercial trees it’s too bad as DWN has dozens of commercial only pluots. Another late one is Flavor Treat. This is one I would love to try. I like the late fruits. Flavor Finale I let ripen till the first freeze here in late October. Man was the fruit fantastic. Fall Fiesta the same thing but I need more fruit before I comment on them. I will know more by the end of this season as mine is loaded with fruit buds. Nothing has bloomed here in Michigan yet. Last year it was pretty darn good. The tree is very vigorous and produces a lot. Some question if pluots are truly inter specific. I would say after growing both for over six years pluots are clearly different. Fruit buds for one form early and look a lot different than plums early on. Later they look a lot alike as the plums catch up in bud formation. The difference is quite obvious. I don’t see fruit buds in February on plums but all the pluots have them. I often think they will be damaged from the severe cold. But that has never happened. On some they even begin forming in late fall. But by the time pluots bloom so do the plums. Very strange and very different from plums.

2 Likes

Do you grow in containers in your greenhouse or are your pluots in the ground?

Mostly in ground

If I where to do containers in a green house how big should I go to get fruit?

If anyone knows they have the real Emerald Beaut, I have a question for you?

Does it have tiny flowers with short stems? I have a 4 in 1 pluot that includes Emerald Drop, and I have a graft of Vincent’s “Emerald Beaut” that sounds like is actually Emerald Drop too. The flowers on both are smaller than any of my other stone fruit. I’m wondering if this is a way to distinguish Emeral Drop. Neither have fruited for me yet, but I’m hopeful about this year.

@fruitnut would give better advice. I’m growing a pluot in a container for the first time.
All of mine are in ground. I would do 30 or 35 gallon.

2 Likes

Thats who I meant to respond to

1 Like

Bigger is better. I’ve fruited all kinds of stone fruit in 15 gallon. But 20-30 is better.

I had EB in my previous home. Some fruit did have short stems but not sure about flowers. I grafted it this year on my ED from that tree.

I grafted a couple years ago,what is suppose to be Emerald Beaut,which hasn’t fruited yet.The small flower size was the main thing,that struck me.

Seems unlikely that the unusual trait would show up in both of these. I’d bet the small flower ones are all Emerald Drop.

perfect. Before I have a wide branching tree inside the green house in ground I want to make sure its the one I cant live without

Hi there. Just wondering where can I possibly get flavor treat pluot? I’ve looked online but couldn’t find one. Is there anyone willing to sell me scions? I want a fruit that can last till December. I’m trying to make a home orchard that can produce fruit from Feb to Dec. Thank you!

I’ve confirmed that Emerald Drop (AKA Emerald Gem) has small flowers and Emerald Beaut has medium.

2 Likes