Flemish Beauty pear

I tried this variety out in my nursery and finally got to sample some fruit this year. It appears to have adequate disease resistance for my region and the fruit is beautiful and remains buttery even when ripened on the tree. Just a small sample but this may be one of the top pears I have grown on my property. Prettiest one I’ve seen.

7 Likes

Hi Alan:

Known around here as “Beauté Flamande”. It’s a variety very common around here. Very hardy, disease resistant, petite (compared to Anjou) with a good taste (not too sweet and not too juicy when eaten) and with a nice “red spot” on them when fully ripe. It’s an overall winner!

Marc

3 Likes

The pears I picked are quite large, much larger than Anjou and comparable to Bartlett. Ripens about the same time as Bart, maybe a few days later. Trees are from Adams County Nursery. Not too many pears on the young trees so they got as big as the trees will let them- size is good this year in general.

1 Like

I agree. Flemish Beauty and it’s look alike Parker very reliably produce many 8 ounce pears.

2 Likes

Your growing season is probably longer than ours here in the North Pole…. Marc

4 Likes

@alan

I’m growing this variety but they are not producing yet. Do you remember how long it took for yours to produce?

It wouldn’t teach you much because my nursery trees take longer to bear than when I plant a tree in my orchard where it gets more sun and more individual care, but it is not a precocious pear.

2 Likes

The first year or two my few Flemish pears were terrible, corky, covered with fungus, deep cracks, and inedible. After two years they bore a modest crop and were fine.

1 Like

What I should have said was the first year or two of producing. It took quite a few years to reach that stage.

1 Like

I would call the fruits medium-sized, roundish in shape, fairly resistant to bugs.

1 Like

Any pics of this fruit? Some consider it to be similar or the same as Parker, so I’m curious what anyone else is seeing…especially since varieties get mixed up all the time. I swear my flemish fruits don’t keep as long as parker, but my memory sucks. The fruits are very similar and the tree habit looks the same…which is interesting.

1 Like

No takers so I’ll upload a pic and we argue about it :slight_smile: This should be flemish beauty unless I accidentally grabbed a parker, although they look identical. Yummy!

3 Likes

Looks just like mine. Sorry, I’ve never mastered photo downloads from my phone even though members love to see pictures.

1 Like

@alan I haven’t either. But I can send the (reduced sized) photo to my email and drag it from my email to my desktop to my post … not elegant but the best I’ve figured out.

Same shape as mine, but mine were pretty russeted -lots of my pears and apples are this year.

That’s a handsome pear. And they’re good, too.

1 Like

Mine don’t have a spot of russet, just beautiful smooth skin with that red blush. Prettiest pear I’ve ever grown.

The one in the picture seems to have been entered by an insect and lost its virginity.

2 Likes

I noticed this one turning in the fridge earlier than the others, probably because of the bug. I planted this tree in a horrible frost pocket and it still made pears this year even though it got hit by 18F during full bloom. The tree also has a nice spreading habit almost like it doesn’t know it’s a pear.

2 Likes

Yeah, like Seckel.

2 Likes

“At one time Flemish Beauty was a leading commercial variety in the pear regions of eastern America, but it has been supplanted by other varieties because the toll of blighted trees is too great, and the fruits are too often disfigured by the scab fungus. Perhaps the latter is the greater fault as in some seasons no applications of spray give the pears a clean cheek, and they are blackened, scabbed, cracked and malformed with this fungus. Not infrequently the scab-infected foliage drops before the crop matures. To offset these defects, the trees have to their credit great vigor, unusual fruitfulness and as great hardihood to cold as those of any other variety. The trees do not come in bearing early, and are not suitable for dwarfing as they overgrow the quince stock. The fruits are nearly perfect if scab-free and properly matured. To make sure of perfect maturity, the pears must be picked as soon as they attain full size and be permitted to ripen under cover. So treated, a bright-cheeked Flemish Beauty is as handsome as any pear, and is almost unapproachable in quality; the flavor is nicely balanced between sweetness and sourness, very rich, and has a pleasing muskiness. Blight and scab condemn tree and fruit for commercial orchards, but a lover of good pears should combat these troubles for the sake of the choice fruits.”

“The fruits are nearly perfect if scab-free and properly matured…”

https://www.chathamapples.com/PearsNY/MajorPears.html

1 Like

Thanks for posting this, I ordered scion and root stock and I’m not sure if I had intended to graft to Quince or not. If so I’ll redirect to '87 or '333.

1 Like