For those wanting uncommon varieties at cummins

I was on the Cummins site looking up some info on some varieties I already have when I noticed the tree list for 2020 is live. I picked up a few new varieties (because 300 trees is not enough!) including some that were already either the last one available or close to it. There were numerous apples I’d never seen through them before… either they have some new varieties available or I got there earlier than ever before.

I’d encourage folks to check for the oddities they want before they are gone!

5 Likes

Adams County Nursery and Century Farm Orchards also have their 2020 inventory online.

I noticed Aurora pear on Cummins’ list. I guess I’d better put in an order for that one soon if I’m going to get it.

1 Like

I grabbed a splendour from cummins. As usual i see they have a lot of heirloom cider apples; some day - maybe - i will bite on a few.

I put in my ACN order Thursday. I have a lot of geneva rootstocks, and since im a bit worried about G graft breakage im getting some different stocks on ACN trees. Cummins is heavily G-stocks now.

I’m still a noob with all of this. David Vernon talked me out of the Geneva rootstocks and into getting M111 last year. Three M111 trees are way more than I need, I plan to graft other varieties to them down the road.

I already have Aurora and Magness on OHxF 87 in my cart at cummins. I’m thinking about adding a peach or something to the order before pulling the trigger.

1 Like

Pull the trigger. You can change your order later if need be. I’ve added and deleted things well after I placed an order.

1 Like

There is a lot of trouble with the Geneva rootstocks. There are a few threads that have described their issues from embers here. I have 4 and all of the trucks have split from heavy rains over the years. They appear to be runting and not very productive , except for one variety.
David is very knowledgeable and I have bought most of my tress from him over the last few years. A lot of older, more rare varieties that I wish to keep their varieties going.
Good luck with your new trees.

2 Likes

Like @LTCider says - if u pay for yr cart, u hold yr trees but can still amend the order

Be careful of the buttons on bottom of order page! One late night i sleepily changed out a tree, hit ‘update order’ except i ACTUALLY hit ‘cancel order’ and before i could re-order my stuff two of the sold-out trees in my order had been snapped up!

I almost ordered from Cummins and raintree a while back but have way to many now. So I’m grafting next year hope to turn each of my ohxf87 pear trees to half of something else. I don’t know how anyone does it but I’m always behind weeding under my trees and mowing and training trees. Now next year spraying on top of everything else. I guess I’m a glutton for punishment.

1 Like

Cummins has had the tree inventory open for orders for a while- I think I opened my order and put down a deposit at least a month ago. An awful lot of the trees I ordered are no longer available.

They DID just add the rootstock inventory very recently. I didn’t notice them until Thursday when I added 50 roots to my order.

As others have said, you can always change your order! May as well lay some money down now and sort it out later if you’re not sure.

1 Like

Some trees from David Vernon died on me…as from some other places.
The issue was they ‘wake up’ in their pots too early, and in that condition late freezes kills the trees before I get them planted.

Also, 5+ years to see any fruit. I have a Camack Sweet from 2014 or 2015 from Mr. Vernon that has not yet bloomed. (On M111)

My David Vernon trees are all doing OK. They were putting on no growth for the year until I started watering them daily like I water my tomatoes. Now they’re putting on good growth.

A tree fell on my Korean Giant pear from Cummins when it was being cut down, so I’ll need a new KG. The Cummins pear trees are not doing as well as Vernon’s M111 apples are.

I have had great luck with David Vernon’s trees I have ordered. Just FYI to those postings above.