Free Watermelon Seeds Orangeglo X White Wonder

Hey Fruit Growers. I have a handful of some watermelon seeds i made myself two years ago
they are a hybrid of the famous orangeglo and a lesser known white wonder watermelon
if i am correct the flesh color of this watermelon will be white, but since they are untested their characteristics are still unknown

but i can tell you that the pollination was controlled very carefully and the mother that carried the seeds (orangeglo) was very delicious and well taken care of with plenty of organic fertilizer and bloom nutrients

no need to pay anything

i will put them in a plain envelope and get them out to the first 20 people who want to try them

you will recieve between 7-12 watermelon seeds

just send me a message with your address and ill let you know if you are one of the first 20 messengers.

Thank you and happy growing,

Mountain_Donkey

3 Likes

two takers day 1, i will be back on may 5th.

hopefully more people will want seeds then.

I too am trying these for the first time this year i will post back the results.

1 Like

1 for me

1 Like

Hey SliceOfHeaven

send me your address in a private message and i will get the seeds out to you at the earliest convenience

May I suggest you call the new variety Creamsicle?

I have named them white glo

but unsure as to whether i replicate the cross would produce seeds of the same quality, due to the general greatness of the particular orangeglo female i used. excellent flavor and absolutely 0 hollow heart.

the white wonder male pollen i used did however have hollow heart but its flavor was a 7 out of ten when picked at week 5

i speculate that if these melons were picked at the end of week 6 after day of pollination like the orangeglo
that they would be at their peak ripeness atleast in my hot summer environment of central north carolina

Up to 8 takers now people which means i still have enough FREE SEEDS to send to 12 more people

im not afraid of sending seeds outside the US so let me know if you want some seeds and are from another country this will not be a problem

there is a high probabilty the flesh color of this watermelon will be white due to it being a dominant gene from the father, but due to using orangeglo as the seedmother there is a greater probability that more of her genes will be inherited. it is a general rule of thumb that more genes will be inherited from the female but i am uncertain about watermelons. There are also genes related to being inherited only from the male, but i am uncertain if watermelons do this. if seeds are saved from these f1’s then the genetic outcome will be very uncertain,

due to these two factors the genetics of this cross will be hard to say until these melons are grown.

you check out more about watermelon genetics here

a excerpt taken from NCSU a good farming university i live very close near

I wish I could understand more from that link :wink:. Interested to know what future generations look like as well. What about backcrossing to orangeglo or other orange melon? In a simple scenario where orange is recessive there should be 25% orange melons in the F2 generation, but a backcross to an orange melon should increase that to 50%.

Not sure I have room for the melons I’ve already started, I’m thinking about it though, nice offer.

let me know you can always save them for next year.

will let know how mine are doing with the germ report. started on last monday planted last tuesday. seed should come up anytime early next week

thats a good idea hoosierbanana

i think my next cross will be of

hime kansen red fleshed round watermelon and kaho orange fleshed oval shaped watermelon

i am growing these two melons this year too, but the cross will be reserved for the future until i can evaluate these two melons

the japanese melons interest me for their described varying flavors from conventional melons

time will tell

free seeds of this cross too will be offered if they prove themselves

also

THERE ARE STILL FREE SEEDS OF THIS MELONS

LET ME KNOW IN AN PRIVATE MESSAGE AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU AT MY EARLIEST CONVENIENCE

1 Like

That cross sounds really interesting, I’m growing Sorbet Swirl this year which is an orange F1 with some red mixed in… maybe you will get something like that. I read about mixed color in segregating generations but nothing about in the F1, maybe it is a new mutation or just a specific combo of red and yellow genes?

Thinking of isolating a plant or 2 so if it is good I can save some seeds. Also have Sangria, Verona, Little Baby Flower, Bradford and Georgia Rattlesnake. Grafting most onto gourds or pumpkins since soil disease is bad here.

this is what the ncsu watermelon genetics thinks about mixed colors

“Although flesh color is shown to be controlled by single genes, the fruit in a segregating generation from a cross between two different inbreds is often confusing. Often there are different flesh colors in different areas of the same fruit. One possible hypothesis to explain the presence of the abnormal types is that the expression of the pigment is caused by several different genes, one for each area of the fruit. Thus, the mixed colorations would have been caused by recombination of these genes. It may be useful to have a separate rating of the color of different parts of the flesh to determine whether there are genes controlling the color of each part: the endocarp between the carpel walls and the mesocarp (white rind); the flesh within the carpels, originating from the stylar column; and the carpel walls.”

although this is just a hypothesis it would be interesting to see whether you are right and that the melon will have different color combinations

most of my seeds germinated this weekend

I will post a picture later today

1 Like

the other watermelons i am growing this year are gold in gold, hime kansen and kaho

one yellow skinned yellow fleshed, one green skinned red flesh, and one light green skinned orange fleshed

We just ordered hime kansen, the Japanese icebox watermelon, for this year. We’ll see how it turns out.

here is a picture of germ test along with a picture of white d strawberry @Drew51 gave me,

i haven’t eaten strawberries in 3 years, so i decided to edit out my previous review of rutgers scarlet and purple wonder strawberry
i will review them when i have eaten more of both
always remember to eat more than one of each fruit you are reviewing to avoid discprepencies

i had a few white d ripen up already and gave them all to my family this one will be going to my sister if the animals don’t have other plans for it

i think bunny rabbits like strawberries too and i don’t blame them it is probably the best tasting thing they will ever eat in their life

anyway i planted about 10 white wonder x orangeglo seeds about a week ago and 5 came up more will probably follow

ALSO THERE ARE PLENTY OF FREE SEEDS AVAILABLE. I KNOW I SAID 20 PEOPLE BUT I WONT STOP SENDING THEM UNTIL THEY’RE GONE JUST SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH YOUR ADDRESS AND I WILL GET THEM OUT TO YOU AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

1 Like

@Drew51 my sister just ate that berry and she said it was one of the sweetest strawberries she ever had thanks again

Yes, I think White D is the best of the pineberries. It’s biggest fault is it is not firm, and has a short shelf life. I was thinking of crossing them with strawberries that are firm, and have good shelf life. Can’t hurt? I may have to back cross it with pineberry to get white again.

i too will try across with mara des bois if its flavor is as good as described

Yes, I grow MdB also. I like french cultivars, Many french figs are exceptional, like VdB.
In strawberries Mara des Bois is not the most famous one. Gariguette originated in the 1930’s making it an heirloom variety. It is a favorite of many of the world’s top chefs. Many recipes for the use of this strawberry exist. I tried a few last year, tasted great but I would need a full season at least to give a review. I currently only have 2 plants.The fruits are elongated, interesting looking. I also grow Reine des Vallees a red Alpine. I like this one, it is a clumping Alpine, so no runners, you can divide the clumps. I grow 2 in root pouches that stay out all year. It produces all summer. They say everbearing does, but in the heat it stops. This plant may slow with heat but not much and produces till frost. I always grab a handful on my garden walk-abouts. I have 3 now, i divided one of them the first season already and have three plants now. These Alpines survived just fine in the root pouches, including the division and transplant in the fall of the first season. Alexandria is another cultivar like this. Worth growing too.

wow you are ontop of the strawberry game

i recently picked some perfectly ripe rutgers scarlet and purple wonder strawberries and a perfectly ripe white d, but i think all of these will go to my family
i will have more to report on strawberries next year when i have my experience but it gives me great esteem to see myself produce a handful of medium sized berries

my scarlet strawberries are too young to produce this season maybe next may i will have some fruits

i currently only have one alpine strawberry, yellow wonder, i think i will try alexandria at my next opportunity thank you for your recommendation

ALSO PLENTY OF FREE SEEDS PEOPLE
JUST SEND YOUR ADDRESS IN A PERSONAL MESSAGE
AND I WILL GET THEM OUT TO YOU AT MY EARLIEST CONVENIENCE

1 Like