Free Watermelon Seeds Orangeglo X White Wonder

I got the seeds you sent, hoping to get them planted today. Thanks!

1 Like

that is great news thank you for letting me know

4 Likes

7 or 8 years ago I grew lots of Japanese and Chinese watermelons. The flavors definitely were a little different, sometimes the textures too. Some of the Chinese melons had very soft flesh. Overall I didn’t care for them because they were just not what I was used to eating. I also grew some Turkish watermelons and I found them to be more like the American melons I am used to eating.

I am happy to try a few seeds/plants this year.
I have a bunch of varieties coming up in seed flats, and am not sure what total germination I’m going to get, as they are still coming up.

I am really wanting to learn about how to do the controlled pollination, so I can keep seeds from what we are growing.

Thanks for the offer. I’m sending a pm…looking forward to trying your controlled cross!

1 Like

Here are my watermelons this morning, had a nice rain last night and hot weather on the way so they should take off

2 Likes

Damrabbits certainly do like strawberries. I had to net mine early because the varmints were nipping off the entire fruit stalks as they emerged

Mine look the same. Raining here too. I’m expecting them to take off too!!

1 Like

i have a baby one in my garden, he thinks i planted everything just for him, haha

i got one here, i am clocking it in at 4 days old which means i will pick it tuesday july 18th

2 Likes

here it is a week later, i have a feeling this is going to be a big melon maybe 16-20 pounds

3 Likes

another week has passed and we are about ready to start feeding bloom nutrients it will be fed from now, until the end of week 4
i feed from the beginning of week 2 - the end of week four and feed water until the end of week six
along with a healthy dose of plant tone and diatomaceous earth at beginning of week one and picked at the right time this is all the watermelons need to be at their full potential

2 Likes

Mine are just starting to set a few fruit, we got some rain over the weekend and the plants look good

We have had constant rain here for quite some time. My other Watermelons got so full a few busted open on the vine.The WW/OG though are looking very nice but are just starting to bloom. I have Blood Meal and Earthworm Castings. Is that enough nitrogen to use on them now? How often should i feed them and I noticed you said water until week six? Do you quit watering them at week 6?

@dutch-s im not very familiar with nutrient rates of blood meal and earthworm castings but im sure if you don’t over do it they will be fine
you don’t have to feed them bloom nutes like i do, but i count weeks from day of fruit set, and not overall plant age
so when my plant set a melon i started counting days, i have found that most small/medium sized watermelons like the ones you would grow at your home or find at the store are at their peak ripeness
if picked at a total of six weeks old, thats six full weeks which means 40-46 days from day of fruit set.

i feed a healthy dose of plant tone which is a slow release chicken manure based nitrogen fertlilizer, when the plants start to vine, another dose of plant tone when melons start to set and feed water soluble general organics bloom nutrients
at the rate of two tablespoons per kitty litter container filled with water
from the end of week two of fruit set to the end of week four of fruit set, they just get plain water from then on out until the end of week 6 when they will be picked
ofcourse you don’t have to grow melons like i do because i grow most of my watermelon vines to only set one fruit
but a majority of people grow watermelons a little differently and they are still of excellent quality. the main thing i would pay attention to is when to pick a fruit and to watch over your melons so you can know for sure how old they are
this pays off when you eat a super juicy and sweet watermelon :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the seeds , the plants look healthy and the vines are running. I have two or three small melons now.

2 Likes

beautiful lush green growth!

1 Like

Starting to get a melon on my vine.

1 Like

I have a Bunch of watermelons that look beautiful. These all came and grew to this size in 2 weeks.

3 Likes

your melons are beautiful, i think they will be bigger than mine, will split one in half in two weeks

i posted this image in the watermelon growing thread of 2018 but i will post it here too since it is the orangeglo x white wonder thread

two weeks left

1 Like