Frost Tolerant Pawpaw Seedling

@Lucky_P sent me seeds. I got a variegated one and then this surprise after a 29F/-2C I think night.

The seeds are a mix of cultivars and Corwin Davis improved seed that’s all a fly’s paradise :smile:

Let’s hope it’s a good fruit someday… let’s also hope the flowers are frost tolerant.

vs.

(12) that look like this one:

Pretty cool beans!

11 Likes

I’d bet on good quality and frost resistance. Paw paw are pretty tough and they carry their genes pretty well. As far as insects wanting to pollinate in the cold that’s a different matter.

1 Like

Cool…

But you mentioned a variegated one?!?!?

And no pics of that one?

Scott

1 Like

Here you at Chills:

last year and I’ll get one for this year, later. It’s in my greenhouse yet.

Dax

22 Likes

Awesome. Love it.

Scott

Too good to be true. It looks like all the others, now.

Dax

4 Likes

Guess I also have ‘frostproof’ ones…
as some bit to black and may die…
and others in the same group of 100 or so one gallon pots totally unhurt!!!

1 Like

hah!

strange-o

Dax

It hasn’t reverted. I’ve been watching the newest leaf and you can see now the variegation is continuing. Another leaf is being produced and I’ll be watching it.

17 Likes

Really awesome looking pawpaw…

How tall is it?

Scott

2 Likes

Dax’s Limon Pawpaw.bb

3 Likes

@Chills 6"
Thank you.

@Bradybb ‘Limon’ I like that. It must be lemon in another language. I like how that rolls off the tongue and the very good yellow those leaves produce, Brady.

Dax

2 Likes

It’d be a mind blower,if the fruit looked the same.bb

2 Likes

That’d be like sausage we got on Pizza’s around here that is rumored since I was a child to derive from Chicago’s mafia. It’s incredible crumbled sausage.

I can’t wait to find out, Brady! It’s going in mostly shade to start it’s life. Nearly all shade.

Dax

2 Likes

Here’s what the last leaf did and another new one coming on which I/we’ll probably certainly wonder what it’ll do.

Dax

10 Likes

WOW! You got a varigated pawpaw! :+1:
Congratulations!

3 Likes

Hey, thanks Luis!

1 Like

That’s quite rare i think…

2 Likes

It’s gotta hold and not revert. I’m taking very good care of it.

It’s gotta be watched for 5-7 years but also propagated and in other gardens/climates so as to not lose it. I’ll be chip grafting it next year I think.

Dax

5 Likes

Very cool! I’ve seen only one other, at Cliff England’s nursery.
Rare!

6 Likes