Fruit compatibility for grafting

Have you tried Flavor King, Flavor Supreme and Dapple Dandy? These are the best, and their flavor profiles are different enough that at least one of them should match your palate…

3 Likes

I am trying all of those.

I have been unsuccessful grafting Flavor Supreme, and failed to attempt another graft last year, so the wait goes on.

I did get some Dapple Dandy last year, but they had a pretty earthy taste - hopefully this year’s crop is better.

Birds got all of my Flavor Kings last year. This year, only one fruit set - but it is safely netted, so there is hope for a taste.

The pluot that has done well for me is Splash. Early and tasty.

I have a really nice looking crop of Geo Pride that should be ready to try soon as well.

2 Likes

Splash and GeoPride are very delicious too, but they are a step below the above three.

2 Likes

I got a few pluots and pluerry too - younger so never fruited. Not many ppl grow them here so probably more of a gamble and see what happens for me but I’m grafting some of these plums onto those trees along with the peach.

Question have you grew out any of the cherry plums? Nadia is one. Those are pretty
Good too. Bit smaller than the pluots and pluerry though.

I have not grafted any of the cherry plums.

I’m by no means experienced grafter - many people on here have far more years doing this. But I have had great success with a couple of plums, Moyer, and a hybrid from my great granfathers orchard - VK’s Umpqua Italian - on apricot tree I top worked. Did mid-April grafts both cleft and whip and tongue. Equal success. Peach and nectarine bud grafts took easily in August too.

Also topworked an almond for my Mom Jan 23, that now has Spice Zee Nectaplum and a Burgundy plum on it - blooming beautifully. Pluots - Flavor Grenade took easily on almond too, not producing yet but we will keep fingers crossed.

To the experts - anyone know what rootstock or interstem to use to delay apricots budding? Mine bloomed already this year and now have frozen. I need them to wait until sometime between late April and mid-may to get fruit.

1 Like

I do not know how to do what you are asking about, but if it is possible to delay apricot blooming via a carefully selected root stock or interstem, it would be quite helpful.

Found this post on another forum.

Ahhh, the permies forum. Delay may be a viable route for certain species. I expect to use it on my persimmon rootstock for particularly sensitive varieties. I’m not an expert on stone fruit, but I imagine the same concept could apply.

I’d recommend looking for apricot threads, I’ve seen at least one here about late blooming varieties. Selecting them could be a better route than hoping for a delay from rootstock.

I am resistant to planting apricots except for ornamental value due to the rare situations where they wouldn’t be zapped by late frost. I’d rather pick fruit I’ll get to bear more than once or twice a decade in my area.

1 Like

Yup you describe my EXACT situation.

In topworking this apricot last year i added two plum varieties - Moyer and VK’s Umpqua Italian. Both amazing and wonderful fresh or dried. That said the apricot has a few suckers i left underneath. Note on the left side of the tree they are days or even a couple weeks behind the right side. This got me thinking that scions could hormonally influce what’s under them too right? So then i got to wondering what moght happen if i bud grafted some apricots back to the plum higher up later this summer. Then i thought well is there a rootstock that would do this? Or a interstem?

The poster trying to grow apricots Zone 5 in NORWAY on another thread has some ideas about Himalayan varieties of apricots Ladakh region among other. Hmmm. Well I’m off to find a more appropriate thread for this i guess.

1 Like

Interstem definitely could help too. Good luck!

Also, check the reference section… Rootstock Graft Compatibility

1 Like