Fruit Trees in a Flood Plain

At least you were not trying to text message

2 Likes

You need either a mount for your phone, or a pop socket/case so you can put part of it in your mouth as your third hand. Or a hat with a mount, or some tape. I’ve thought these things through many times running the excavator at work to film the ridiculous things I have to do.

1 Like

Well, the time is coming…with record snowpack this year, the yard will flood again.

Every plant and tree in the backyard survived 2-3 weeks underwater then - roses, pines, beech, irises, cedar, grass, a 50-year old apple tree, etc. It kind of surprised me.

I’m planning to leave the small paw paws and persimmon in place and let them ride out the flood. I might cut the bottom out of a few tall pots and try to bury them 6-9" around the seedlings but it would seem that the soil will be saturated either way.

I’m also thinking about sandbagging 180 degrees around a 4 year old apple tree at the bottom of a slope. And raking up the woodchips into a pile and covering and weighting them down so they don’t all float away. It’s a pain to wheelbarrow them back there.

Our walkout basement should be fine…

Wish me luck!

2 Likes