Garden pictures 2019

It’s more of a small park. Cleaned one bed today. ‘Rain tonight so will finish tomorrow afternoon.

We decided to put in some small beds near the house. The big garden keeps getting flooded and we can’t get the tractor in there yet.

16 Likes

Now that is one heck of a garden and orchard! Bravo! Tons of work but really worth it. Hope you walk through it often!

1 Like

I’m still working on this little bed. Just pouring the sand between the pavers and have the bones of the greenhouse strewn around it. But I couldn’t help myself from taking any early picture :blush:

10 Likes

You’re going be so happy with a green house. Wish I had one.

1 Like

I am very excited about it. I’m making it myself with pvc pipe and greenhouse plastic from Amazon.com we’ll see how it turns out :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

What is under the netting on the right raised bed are tomatoes, and eggplants. If I didn’t net them in one night the rabbits would chomp off everything to the ground! As soon as I plant I net. After I finish my three major sprays my trees are netted too!

1 Like

Did some cleaning up over the weekend. It’s coming along…

8 Likes

It looks great!

1 Like

Very nice. Did you trap the groundhog or find a way to stop it from coming back?

I ended up adding couple of electric wires to my fence. Keeping it high to shock only the climbing animals. Not rabbits etc. apparently it gives out a pulsating shock so it doesn’t kill. They get a chance to get away. It’s powered by battery that is connected to a solar panel for recharge. While we were at it my father in law thought I need couple of lights in the veggie area so I don’t have to come back inside even after night fall. This is my set up:

Unfortunately the lights don’t give out enough light for me to work in the garden entire night so I do come in at some point!:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Wow. That is a very nice set up. Thanks for sharing the details. Now we can look forward to pictures of your summer harvests.

Window shot this morning. Snap peas are starting. Shelling peas should be soon. Lots of stuff to eat and make us healthy.

8 Likes

Everything is plugging along here, despite a weird extremely wet spring. I’m starting to pull lettuce instead of cutting it. The plants have started enjoying the 80 plus degree days we’ve been having.

9 Likes

Also please excuse my mess. It’s been a very busy spring. Also, if some of my beds look like they were built out of scrap lumber in the dark by a near sighted man, well, they were.

3 Likes

Jim your entire back yard is one big garden! You left no space for the kids to run around in. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Kids have a play set in the side yard and a grassy knoll in the front yard. I’m a believer in front yard playing. It is more social and friends are always dropping by when we are visible. I also have an in ground pool. Don’t feel sorry for my kids, they have plenty!

5 Likes

Has your electric system been put to the test yet? I wonder if the raccoons wouldn’t just dig under the fence like they would a chicken coop. This appeals to me if it works because my dogs could avoid getting shocked

So far no body is getting in. If I see any holes dug I guess I could easily add a wire closer to the ground. That way they’ll have to start digging far away from the garden. There’s plenty of food around for them. I don’t think they’d go through that much trouble to get to the garden. It was too easy to access before.

Also no dead bodies! This is supposed to be a pulsating shock so it gives the animal a chance to run away. 30 seconds between shocks I think. My husband said it gives out a nice shock , he knows because he just couldn’t resist touching it!

2 Likes

My garden is almost ready for the season - only Cucurbits are waiting to be settled in the beds, but beds are ready. I like this time of the year when everything is done and in order and there are no jungles yet outside. Made few pictures, sorry for a long list.
View from second story deck:

Not technically my land, but I take care of it in exchange of the right to do whatever i want there. I have my raspberry patch there, and a lot of flowers I do not have space for in my own land.

Low portion of the yard (but not lowest), espaliered gold rush, bush cherries, and bunch of other things.

And this one is lowest part of the yard. (I have at least 6 levels, not counting deck where I have containers :grinning:)

This is front yard - mini-orchard and flower bed

Not my land again, this belongs to another neighbor, it was covered in poison ivy and brush. Now I moved my hosta collection down there :grin:

26 Likes