Garden pictures 2019

I’m in 8a and it gets very very hot in mine with the roll up door open. I use it in the winter and spring for a little while but it’s way too hot for plants in late spring and summer. Mine does not have two door for blow through air and that might help but the sun is merciless. A family close to me has removed the plastic and replaced it with shade cloth for the summer.

3 Likes

I suspected as much, thanks! I just showed him this and he agrees to take it off for the summer, phew! The shade cloth is a good idea and it’s good to have put it on and got it cut and fitted. It’ll be ready to go in the fall

1 Like

Few pictures as of today. Everything seems to like the chicken poop.

8 Likes

My garden is the most popular with the groundhog.

5 Likes

@galinas - The hostas are so gorgeous, no your entire yard is gorgeous, wow!!! Are your hostas in shade or sun? The netting around your fruit trees - what brand is it and where can I buy one? Thanks!

Here also TN-Apple, 1 troublesome groundhog has turned into a family of 5, and I’ve had to replant my bushbeans 5 times now. They’re like small bulldozers.

Find their hole and use a gopher bomb in it or you won’t have a garden much longer. I speak from experience!

1 Like

Thank you! Hostas were planted in partial shade, more shade, than sun. But their shade tree was removed to help the orchard. So now they almost completely in the sun, first year. So will see how they doing later in the summer. For the cover, I need to find a link, I already posted it somewhere, will update the reply when I find it. Here, I bought the largest to be cheapest, but there are many sizes, just search for gardenwill. https://www.amazon.com/GardeningWill-Mosquito-Barrier-Hunting-Netting/dp/B01G79X53Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?keywords=Gardeningwill+Bug+Net+Insect+Bird+Netting&qid=1560154224&s=gateway&sr=8-11

1 Like

Thank you, very helpful! Once again - such a lovely garden and great usage of the space and different levels without any wastage!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a garden pic per se, but one of our Watermelon tomatoes in a big pot on the newly stained deck. It’s about 3ft tall, and doing well despite all the rain we’ve had recently. Guess we got the soil mix right this time. One part MG potting mix, garden mix, and old rich barn dirt, with straw mulch. Love those big tater leaves.

Big tomato/corn patch is in the background, will try to get a few new pics of that soon.

3 Likes

Finally! I have grown these Meeker raspberries for 4 years,1st got leaf diseases like orange rust, and then very few tiny mealy berries. I nearly dig it out. But this year is much better! No sprays used ever.

UPDATE:
1 day later, yesterday

7 Likes

F3 lettuce population. Compact, bolt resistant and heat tolerant. Tasty too!
Picture does not do the colors justice.

16 Likes

very neat

I live in WA, and have had problems growing lettuce large and not bolting. I have a couple seeming to do ok this year! Any tips?

A lot of it has to do with the variety, some bolt as soon as it gets hot. Otherwise keep it well watered, fertilized, spaced and weeded. My favorite lettuce breeder is in WA (edit: OR), he has lots to choose from, many are compact or miniature though since that is where market sales are headed: wildgardenseed.com

I harvest at the rosette stage, lots of problems with tip burn once they form a head here. That is when the color/taste/texture is the best anyway.

3 Likes

Picked this stuff over the past few days. It has continued to be my best spring garden yet. Turnips, kholrabi, raddish, carrots, potatoes, beans, kale, chard, and lettuce.

Blueberries are great this year. It takes me about a half hour to fill one of these containers. It was full this morning after getting up at 5 to pick.

13 Likes

What a bounty! Beautiful! I just love gardening!

1 Like

Know what is coming up? Scarlet runner beans!

This is a volunteer squash, likely turban but could be butternut. Whatever it becomes will get eaten.

I had a ton of larva now bugs.

Grapes are growing a lot visibly daily. This week we will drop into upper 60s and have lightning.

Plums are doing well.

No pix of persimmon but so far only 3 out of 50 dropped. All flowers browned and came off leaving fruit that is growing. I doubt I get a lot, but how cool if I get any 1st year in ground.

5 Likes

A row of snap peas. We’ve had a cool, rainy spring so these guys have grown very well.

15 Likes

How straight those purple-flowered peas stand!

1 Like