Garden Prince Genetic Dwarf Almond

Sadly, they do not mail plants, and the one in Texas isn’t near me.

@Trees_as_Therapy
You’re in Austin?
I’m accustomed to driving a couple hundred miles for plants and once drove to Portland OR (1100 mi). :rofl:

Looking at the TX phytosanitary regulations for import of almond trees it appears there is nothing special. A cutting can likely be shipped from here with just my nursery stock certificate whereas a rooted plant will require the usual snail-free cert., etc.

1 Like

I’m in Montgomery Tx., which is about 50 miles from Houston Tx. If you could sell me a cutting for a reasonable price, that would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Let me check on the phyto certificate cost first. There might be someone here that can do it for less money.

1 Like

6 Likes

This is the first time I see pink almond flowers :smiley: Have you tried eating whole almonds when they’re still green? Some varieties taste super good.

1 Like

Is there a significant cyanide content in green almonds?

That’s a very good point! I don’t know honestly. I grew up eating them in abundance every day when they’re in season, they do cause some some bowel movement when abused and help with constipation.

They would only contain large levels of cyanide if its related Prunus dulcis var. amara which its not.

I’d like to see an assay before eating them.

Is it on its own roots?

I don’t recall.

Green almonds are the favorite snack all over the Middle East. There is no difference in cyanide content between green and ripe almond for a given variety.

2 Likes

do you grow any other almonds? i see its for zone 6-9 but im not so sure if i can grow it in my cool PNW weather your tree very beautiful.

I tried a few other “low chill” cultivars but this is the only one that sets a crop. So far it has taken all summer (80°s) for the nuts to mature.

1 Like

thank you Richard, i dont know if there is a website to check back if my pnw how many days of summer is over 80 degrees.

I wish I could share some varieties with you, I have some of the lowest chill almonds. Chill hours are falling to a bare minimum these years in centre Tunisia and the trees still produce profusely. I doubt the trees even went into full dormancy, I bark grafted many in the middle of December and they still took. I think dormancy and chill hours don’t apply to warm regions.

1 Like

Wow!

Here is a photo I took today, showing blooms and very healthy last season leaves that cold couldn’t drop.

7 Likes

Soo beautifull! Enjoy this beauty! :+1:

1 Like