Gardening in the news

2 Likes

Ive been practicing on grass blades for years, but just cant get that whip and tongue quite right

4 Likes

Around here, there’s a rotation of corn to wheat, to soybeans, then back to corn.
Getting a second main crop every other winter/spring.

Though soy leaves a lot of nitrogen in the soil…it’s still very doubtful soy should be a food for humans. (Feed for animals, especially ruminants, and for bio-diesel, but I’m not sure soy oil or soy burgers are any healthier than pork/lard.)

After all the work we put in the garden and all the canning we did this year (90 quarts, 65 pints), we’re considering letting all the plots go fallow next year. We’ve done lots of plots every year since we’ve been here (10 seasons), so maybe we ought to give the soil a break.

3 Likes

Maybe you should stagger which ones go fallow, so you can still have some fresh veggies yearly. I find freezing things much easier. Plus, you don’t need to have enough for a whole canner load at a time. With solar power there is less danger of a freezer loss from power failure.

3 Likes

Gardening in the news? Patrick Brown, founder of The weather channel, recently said in NATURE magazine “Climate change is not happening, there is no significant man-made global warming…”

1 Like
2 Likes

https://bsapubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/ajb2.16250

A very long term study on the viability of seeds

2 Likes

For organic gardening, this might be a game changer. Unfortunately they are seeking a patent for some part of the process but I bet there’s a way to take advantage of this naturally occurring hormone.

2 Likes

That might be good news. Hopefully they might find a solution to get rid of nematodes.

1 Like

Anyone using methyl jasmonate?

From phys.org article: “methyl jasmonate (MeJA)—possessed a hitherto unknown function. They found that MeJa served as a shared, possibly secret, language that allows a plant to communicate with the surrounding layers of microorganisms embedded in the soil.”

1 Like

surreal. where can I get some, the neighborhood druggist?

1 Like

“Scientists discovered about 15 years ago that genes at the root tip (or more precisely, the level of proteins produced from some genes) seem to pulsate. It’s still a bit of a mystery but recent research is giving us new insights”

https://www.agweb.com/news/crops/crop-production/damned-data-state-destroys-farmers-yield-pays-810000-damages

"Fighting to save his farmland, Marvin Houin exposed government neglect with a damning paper trail. From 2009 to 2019, Houin watched his bushels crash and land value plummet due to bureaucratic dereliction. Ignoring a direct court order, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources swamped 407 crop acres, silted drain tile, destroyed yields, and placed all blame on Houin. "

1 Like

That should be a Law and Order episode.

That was a good read.

1 Like

Good record keeping makes all the difference!

1 Like

“Tribal citizens interested in growing fruits and vegetables their ancestors grew will get the chance soon.”

This would be cool if it was bright enough to illuminate a pathway.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting development but doesn’t seem very practical. The amount of light generated wasn’t stated, but it’s likely very little. I wouldn’t expect these petunias to light up anything except themselves. They could be used as edge markers for sidewalks and pathways but would probably only be useful in zones 9 to 11 where petunias are supposed to be perennial. I would be interested in this kind of plant only if it were a hardy perennial.

2 Likes

If, as is likely someday, the electric grid goes OFF…just a faint light might come in handy!