Gardening in the news

If someone wants to grow something REALLY cool and challenging… How about a tree thought to be extinct for 2 million years?

2 Likes

Wollemi Pines were the must have plant many years ago when they were first available to buy. They were too expensive for me back then. Haven’t seen much about them in years.

I see options available for sale that are quite expensive in Australia. Seeds on ebay appear to be available. I didn’t know about them until I saw this article, must have missed the hype!

1 Like

National Geographic offered it for sale in its 2006 Christmas catalog from stock grown in Florida. Some plants froze in shipment across the country and others died soon after receiving. A lot of unhappy customers and bad press.

Here’s a 2010 story that mentions the NatGeo connection.

1 Like

Plants of Wollemi grown outside the Smithsonian in DC, Juniper Level Botanic Garden near Raleigh NC, and Norfolk Virginia Botanical garden all died after extremely cold winter lows.

Sounds like a zone 7b ornamental.

A handfull of species survived the “tohu” and “bohu” of Genesis 1:2. Because in Job 38:4-7 all the angels celebrated the creation of the earth. And Isaiah 45:18 says it not made at creation in a state of “tohu” (English for the original language).
But in Genesis 1:2 a state of ‘tohu and bohu’ existed. (State of destruction and confusion).

In some manner most all the old Creation got destroyed.
And it’s ‘renfreshing’ from chaos begins in Genesis 1:3.

Though many species died from catastrophe on earth, a handfull survived.
Ginkgo is one. This pine another.

"“Across the board, we were able to save between 30 and 50 percent on chemical costs and increase crop yields by enabling better pest control,” Jayaprakash says. “By focusing on the droplet-leaf interface, our product can help any foliage spray throughout the year, whereas most technological advancements in this space recently have been focused on reducing herbicide use alone.” The company now intends to lease the system across thousands of acres this year. "