Gardening isn’t shut down, but

My local garden centers allow me to pick items over the telephone and they load the items into my car at the curb. This is legally allowed in an area that has been ordered to shut down. Obviously I lose the ability to select plants myself, but this can potentially reduce rate of transmission and still keep businesses open. In Los Angeles area, nurseries/garden centers that incorporate this practice are actually booming. People have more time at home to do gardening, so they are ordering a lot via telephone and picking up curbside.

3 Likes

None of that has been implemented in KY yet, as gardening is considered as essential as groceries.

But, I got notices by email yesterday that BB Barnes in Asheville NC and Briar Rose Nursery in Ohio are only doing the curbside pickup thing.

When it’s all said and done, a lot of little shops will end up bankrupt…and the big ones will get government help. As usual. But the resourceful will find a way to garden.

4 Likes

How did you like your Drip works drip irrigation? I have 8 raised garden boxes and am thinking of getting their medium sized drip irrigation kit with timer. Also in CA and am hoping to be able to water my garden more consistently. Undecided between the dripworks kit or getting separate parts from rainbird.

Also check out Drip Depot, i got my entire system from there and it was very well priced. I would also strongly recommend getting drip tape or drip line as emitters are a pain to deal with.

1 Like

Did you get the Drip Depot Raised bed kit or a different system? I’m now looking at both Drip Depot and Drip Works raised bed kits. Both seem to use drip line for the actual watering.

I’m hoping to keep the setup as minimal as possible, and also like this Rainbird header pipe with its built in “outlets” - https://www.rainbird.com/sites/default/files/media/documents/2018-02/bro_QFHeaderTriFold.pdf

I want to bring 1 main line down the middle row of all 8 of my 4’x8’ raised beds (they’re in a 2 x4 pattern), and then split off a supply line to each box and up the side, then use the Rainbird header outlet pipe to create 2 overlapping loops of drip line that span the length of the box, like this:

I’m very much a newbie and have never set up drip irrigation or any kind of irrigation for that matter. Any thoughts on my idea?

1 Like

I kind of just cobbled my system together over three years of trial and error.

What I ended up doing is running a 1/2" tubing to each bed then 1/4" drip line for bed coverage. Very similar to what is shown in your image I just didn’t loop back - that’s actually a good idea. Since I have very well draining soil I also used the drip line with 6" dripper spacing and just ran it for a shorter time, 12" is better for clay IMO.

I would start with their Raised Bed Gardening kit and swap in the drip line. Couple of tips would be include a coupling valve to control each bed. Also, double up on the quantity of goof-plugs and get yourself a bunch of 6" Heavy Duty Wire Staples.

1 Like

Thanks! I also have a sandy type of soil in my raised beds. Do you use any kind of mulch in your beds? I’m in a zone 10a and I find myself watering everyday in the warmer months.

I headed to Southern States, instead of Home Depot or Lowes, this year.
When I got there - it was just me and 2 other shoppers. We stayed clear of one another.
I had bags of manure / 10 10 10 / etc loaded into my car. I guess the gardening section in stores that have them - in open air - is a lot safer than going into the store. I did run into Home Depot once - to grab two tomatoes.

I drove by Home Depot and Lowes, yesterday - and the lots were packed! Same at Sam’s. Saw people loading their cars with flowers and plants.

I live in the ‘country’, where it is just about impossible to have anything delivered . . . except by Amazon. So - I’ve ventured out several times . . . to get my garden started. And to the grocery store. Hardly anyone shopping . . . but oddly - still no T.P. !

Things are quite ‘quiet’ here, virus-wise. I keep asking friends if they know anyone who has contracted it. ? Everyone seems to have the same kind of answer . . . ‘so and so’s brother in law’s sister . . . who lives in Pennsylvania’. (not to pick on PA - just an example)

Most folks I know, personally, are staying put, quite strictly - at home. I feel for those who live alone - and the elderly in assisted living - who can have no visitors. Terrible. :disappointed_relieved: This is going to take its toll on mental health - besides everything else. People are getting creative about how to spend time together - but there are those who don’t have that luxury. What a mess.
My family is scattered all over - including Great Britain. This Saturday we have scheduled a ‘Zoom Trivia Contest’. Should be interesting!

7 Likes

Illinois just let the garden centers and greenhouses open. And the golf courses, as of May.

4 Likes

Michigan just recently allowed the greenhouses and garden centers open, also.

1 Like

I’m worried for my elderly relatives that the lack of exercise and mobility as well as the loneliness might be more of a risk to their health than the virus.

2 Likes

@GardenGekko
Yes. Loneliness can be a ‘killer’. In some situations - it leads to hopelessness. Things lose perspective - depression sets in. Severe isolation is not a ‘healthy’ fix for everyone. Instead of making people feel safe and protected - it can threaten their very lives. :worried: It’s definitely a conundrum - whether to spend time with the lonely - or not. How much distancing/isolation is necessary? Which is a greater risk - for them - and for us? We all have to decide for ourselves, what level of ‘protection’ we choose to abide by.

3 Likes

As a confirmed introvert, I thrive in isolation.

6 Likes

Yeah this isolation is exactly what I needed to kick my garden into high gear.

I’m lucky enough to be able to work from home now and I hope to god I never have to go back into the office.

2 Likes