Genetic dwarf peaches

@Borer_the_explorer ,
Home Dpot near me are selling genetically dwarf peaches this year. They were about3.5-4 ft tall.

I would have bought one for fun had it not been so pricey. I think it’s $64.99 a pot.

3 Likes

I’ll stick to growing them from seed! Any peach grown in a pot will be somewhat dwarf. Just prune it and try to get it to branch as close to the soil as possible (low fruit/low height). I have Ambre/Sweet dream/sweet bagel all loaded with blooms and they are in 20ish gallon pots. I think the tallest might be 6 to 7 feet at most and that can be whacked back if i need to.

1 Like

I will not stop at Home Depot on my way home tonight… I do not need another tree…

2 Likes

They are cute and have a lot more flower buds than regular peaches. I think your eesolve will last until you see the trees :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@warmwxrules ,
I have two peach trees grown from seeds in pots. One I grafted a Spring Snow on it. The other, the grafts did not take.

They are in a 15 pots. Not sure I want a 20 gal, these are heavy even with soil-less mix. The trees grow like crazy. I need to prune hard.

2 Likes

By the way, Michigan Bulbs is selling Bonfire for $35.99
Bonfire Patio Peach Tree

le cooke has closed but their website still has variety recommendations by area. for Pittsburgh they recommend empress, golden prolific, golden glory. bonfire is on some of their other lists but not for Pittsburgh. reading their history of genetic dwarf peaches, it’s very california-centric as are the zaiger varieties, so the rest of the country needs to be selective with varieties

1 Like

here’s bonfire’s tag. “tree will set some fruit but they are not desirable for eating”

1 Like

Thanks, that pdf is very informative. Looks like I nailed some of my tree varieties while others are a total miss.

When I’m finished counting every 45,000 chill hours in my part of the North Pole it’s usually time my dwarf peach (3) and sole dwarf nectarine are blooming.

They are not exceptionally tasty or sweet but when you live in the North Pole, take my word for it, you fully enjoy whatever Nature offers you… and last year was great!

Ciao!

Marc

5 Likes

Tippy, is that a Spring Snow in your pot?

It has a lot of blooms compared to mine, in any given year.

What very few peach buds survived the -17F temps this winter, they are blooming here now.

Surprisingly Spring Snow trees have a few blooms on them, which are pretty much open now.

Mark,
Yes, that’s Spring Snow grafted to a seedling in 2019. I kept the pot in my garage so there was no cold damage. It took it outside to get some sun and wind. Just brought i5 back because it will rain tomorrow.

This was taken a minute ago. More blooms have opened.

I have a graft on an in-ground tree. I have not checked but we did not have drastic temp swing like other part of the country this past winter,

3 Likes

what kind of grafts did you do? any tips? I was planning to do a couple t buds to seedlings later this year but I was worried about how close together the nodes were

That seedling is a regular peach seedling, not from a dwarf tree. Their nodes space normally like most peaches do. I have had good success with T- budding but suck at chip budding.

I like to do spring grafting as I could see success right away as budding you have to wait until the next year.

2 Likes

thanks I was confused I thought you had grafted a genetic dwarf to a regular seedling. that’s what I’m trying this summer

1 Like

I wonder if the pot has something to do with the bloom load? I’ve grown Snow for quite a few years and currently have about 15 trees of the variety. I’ve never seen one bloom with the same bloom density as yours, nor at such a small size. Beautiful little tree!

Mark,
I told it if it did not perform, it would be “off with the head”. I think it heard my threat :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. Kidding aside, I agree with you that being in such a confined space could have contributed to that.

I checked the graft on the in-ground tree. Like you said, not many flowers and we have not suffered any freeze (so far). I love its sweet taste. Thank you again, Mark for the scionwood.

1 Like

Just posting an update on directgardening.com, since it was discussed here. They charged my credit card at the end of April, and refunded the charge on May 17. There’s been no communication of any kind - I just happened to notice the refund on my credit card statement. I guess I’m not getting those peach trees this year.

@urbangardener Alex,
Trust me you are better off! Only a few things I got from them survived. Had an American persimmon from them die and the 2nd shows green on a scratch test but is still to leaf out. It only leafed out in June last year. Only buy hardy perennials from them if your going to take the gamble!

1 Like

I would not worry about it too much. I think they provided misinformation on the website anyway. I did research after research on peach trees and I found there is very little reliable dwarfing rootstock for peaches. There are only genetic dwarfs. I hear Honey Babe is quite the taster. In 3-4 months Bay Laurel Nursery will start selling their genetic dwarf peach trees. I have given Bay Laurel a few calls and they stated that they start selling peach trees late August or September. Right now they are selling them for something like 27 or 28 dollars a tree.

1 Like

When a peach is a genetic dwarf does that mean the entire tree, including root, is of the same variety?
Will grafting a non-dwarf variety onto the genetic dwarf / root produce a dwarfed version of that variety?

I have a patio peach that appears to be grafted, which sent up suckers. If I save these and use them as root stock, will they produce a dwarfed variety?