Ghost Apple

I got this from Cal Poly Pomona last week.

Ghost apple tree and fruitlets

6 Likes

Please let us know how this taste and this one grows!

1 Like

I will. Hopefully, they will ripen before the heat wave in July.

1 Like

My ghost apples gave two fruits last year. They definitely weren’t fully white, but still translucent for the most part. One had some mealiness to it, but the other had an acid to sub acid taste. Good novelty/cider apple, wouldn’t be my main choice for fresh eating.

3 Likes

Uhm, in italy we have a very early completely white heirloom sardinian apple. It’s called “E Santu Giuanni”. E SANTU GIUANNI – RISGENSAR
They ripen in July.
IMG_20190714_163234
(Fruit very small, the plant is being grown in half gallon pot)

9 Likes

Very interesting, thank you. Hope everyone around you is safe and positive thoughts for everyone in Italy!

What does it taste like?

I translated some of the growing info from that page

Vigor: high

Plant habit: expanded

Fruit type: spur and mixed branches

Branch internode length 1 year: medium

Flowering period: medium - early

Productivity: high

Ripening period: very early

Fruit size: very small

Fruit shape: obloid

Fruit ribbing: moderate

Pedicle length: short

Peel bloom: absent or light

Peel background color: yellowish green

Peel overcolour tone: pinkish red

Overcolour type: uniform and mottled

Pulp color: white

Pulp consistency: firm

1 Like

Ciao @RichardRoundTree. I’m not going to lie, the apple, by itself, apart from the novelty of the white color, it’s not something to write home about. It might be worth growing, though, if you like fruit salads because it gives you a fresh, natural apple, in the middle of summer, when any other apple may be unavailable unless refrigerated from last winter. The flavour itself it’s not bad; it’s just the texture wich i find off putting. It’s somewhat “spongy” if this make any sense. But then again, the situation i grew it was less than ideal.

2 Likes

WOW! That’s a real ghost! :smile:

1 Like

Ciao @Pancrazio and great avatar by the way! I have been super interested in this one since i read this article on how green and white skinned apples are extremely good for your stomach and can help heal ulcers. It made me wonder if these really white fleshed apples would have a lot more of that (and that it is a taste on the bitter side). Sadly a lot of my green to white skinned apples seemed to have gotten fireblight and i have not gotten good replacements.

Im also not a fan of “spongy” apples, Was this your first year growing it or does it just not have a ideal apple spot in your orchard?

1 Like

Eh, overall I’m not a great fan of apples, i prefer by a wide margin pears and apricots, but i got a “fruit-friend” of mine which offered me this variety along with some other stuff in an exchange, and you know, in “fruit world” there are people you trust, so when he said it was worthy i grafted it. I can’t tell it’s not worthy, because indeed the looks and the time of harvest are something… it’s just that the eating experience it’s not its strong point. So it never got it’s own place. Moreover, apples at my place don’t grow really well (they tend to get a lot of pests) with the exception probably of heirloom varieties of southern italy… this might be potential but then again, i’m not a fan and this is not exceptional taste-wise.

2 Likes

Ah we have very bad bacteria fireblight here and it gets tons of pears and apples sadly. Sounds like maybe a good salad apple? I very much like fresh early summer apples and will be grafting pristine this year.

Here is a picture of my apricot tlor-tsiran it is really good and has purple apricots it was in full bloom yesterday today it is -4c and will hopefully not get to -10c tomorrow like they say. In general we are very marginal for apricots and would get lucky 1 in 7 years in Denver Colorado, i have gotten fruit so far 1 in 4.

2 Likes

VERY nice tree. We have had a temperamental spring also here, but as for now temperature seems to have stabilized and we got a good 10 days wit temps in high 70s.

I’m unsure if this can be a good salad by your point of view, because i don’t know what people in US might consider a good salad apple, and i feel that your apple tradition might be stronger than our apple tradition.
I think to have seen some more flowers on my tree this year, if you wish i might post an update on the quality of the fruit later this summer, it’s not more than 4 months away from now.

2 Likes

I’m thinking to have one ghost apple tree too… i have to decide between ghost and white cloud apple… the whitish seems to be the ghost but the better one is what?

I will post a review here next month when mine ripen (should ripen around mid july). First year I am getting fruit from Ghost, and they are loaded.

2 Likes

Thank’s! Do you have any opinion between ghost and white cloud? Thank’s!

I’m sorry, but isn’t this called wasting precious space?

2 Likes

i guess that would really depend on how much space you have. I have plenty of space and would like a decent summer apple, so i am willing to try this. there are mixed reviews on this online, so it is better to try them myself and let my taste decide the value of the tree. I do my best to multi graft all my apple trees, so this tree has 2 other varieties on it already, and i can completely remove the ghost branches if it is terrible. So to me, not a waste of space.

@Luisport i have not had either yet, so can’t answer until ghost ripen.

1 Like

Maybe just one or two grafts for experiment. Here in Europe we have plenty of these types of apples, and to tell you the truth, they are not worth growing, unless you have an intense apple plantation where you need to plant theese for better pollination.

1 Like

Well, possibly but they are very unique looking… i nead to decide wich is better…

Apple ‘Ghost’ — Green Acres Nursery & Supply (idiggreenacres.com)

White Cloud Apple available at - One Green World

i think it may come down to your climate. Ghost is what I would call a southern apple, due to low chill hours and how it stands up to the heat.
White Cloud is an early blooming Siberian apple so it probably wouldn’t stand up to the heat as well (if you don’t have really hot summers, this isn’t an issue).

1 Like