Ghost Apple

Oh i have hot summers! Than the best is the ghost… Thank you very much! :+1:

I just got one Ghost apple tree! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Where did you got it from?

1 Like

Hi! From a UK seller. He is a great seller and i buy from him from some years.

Can you send his website/contact in PM? Thanks :smiley:

1 Like

Tasted it this year, and they’re sweet with a distinct flavor that I really liked. The only problem is that mine grew slightly bigger than a Crabapple and there were no seeds inside, so I’m guessing they weren’t pollinated.

2 Likes

I planted a Ghost Apple on MM111 rootstock last yr. It grew vigorously, probably because of the rootstock and it tolerated the summer 90 degree heat like a champ. I’m in inland San Diego, and I probably receive 300-400 hrs of chill in the winter , although it didn’t bloom till late April, and there weren’t any pollination partners around. I have Cripps Pink, Cripps Red, Anna, Dorsett, Fuji, Lady Williams, and none of them flowered around the same time. Maybe next yr I will plant Gordon/Pettengill to see if it cross pollinates it.

Not being pollinated doesn’t make sense, unless there is something special with this variety, apples won’t produce without pollination.
I had fruit for the first time this year. It was small, but larger than crabapple. It wasn’t the most crisp apple out there, but certainly did have some snap to it. I likely picked mine a bit too early (well a storm knocked all but 1 off the tree), as there was some sweetness but not a ton. All in all, it is not a bad summer apple (there are so few really impressive summer apples though).
Down here in north TX, it was blooming in March (second year of blooms). it should do better in the coming years as I figure out disease/pest management for it and tweak my feeding schedule/methods.

Anyone else growing the Ghost apple? I planted one last fall and I have 3 apples on it this year. I’m looking forward to trying it. I think I will add a White Cloud/Beliy Naliv apple next year.

1 Like

Hi! Yes i have but the tree is too small to fruit… in some years i will have fruits… :grin:

1 Like

I will let you know how my three apples turn out. It says it’s a July apple so they are getting close. They are small but thats probably because it’s the first year it’s fruited.

1 Like

Ghost is a July apple? Interesting because White Cloud/Beliy Naliv should be too because its a variety of white transparent

I haven’t harvested any from it yet so I’m not 100% sure, but from what I have read on it they say July/early August.

1 Like

Great i love early apples!

I got the Dave Wilson - Ghost Apple. I believe it is a patented cultivar from Zaiger genetics. I though they were mostly into stone fruit. I didnt know they did apples too. Reviews online have been mixed. @Fruit1 @Dudeness How are your trees doing ? Is it “sub-acid” and “fuji-like” as they claim ? :smiley:

1 Like

Sadly, mine didn’t even flower in 2022, so no apples last year. Will need a few more years to see if i just didn’t thin enough, or it is just a biennial apple (I am leaning towards this as i have a graft of another variety on the same tree that did bloom last year). This year has been really back and forth with heat and cold so far, and while it is blooming, i don’t really have anything else in bloom right now. Anna and Golden Dorset just wrapped up, and only my small Etter apples have some blooms on them (on the other side of my yard). I haven’t seen too many pollinators out yet this year (going to take up bee keeping in hopes of resolving this).
But more to your question, i found it to be a very balanced apple, and i would rank it better than a Fuji as i just find the texture of those to be too soft.

Great to know about the taste. So the brix levels are comparable to a Fuji ? I got zero early apples. Should I get an Anna or a Dorsett for it to set fruit ? I have read that Apple do produce without pollination. But the fruit would be small and misshapen.

I have a Ghost, Pettingill, Anna & Dorset Golden in Escondido CA. I love this combo because the blooming starts with Dorset Golden, Anna, Ghost, Pettingill. Each variety gets pollinated by the next consecutive blooming tree. Ghost has consistently bloomed for me around mid-March for the past 2 yrs & ripens around mid-July. The tree is a heavy bearer, so best to thin half the fruit every spring. This tree does love the heat, because it is in the hottest part of the yard and it seems to revel in the heat. M111 rootstock is probably the best one for SoCal.

1 Like

Great to know first hand experiences as theres next to nothing online. How is the taste ?

It tastes good. Not sure if it is similar to a Fuji, but it is definitely unique in flavor! I cannot comment on brix, since I haven’t measured it, but it is sweet. I would say if you want a cross pollinator, get either an Anna or Pettingill. Pettingill isn’t too bad an🍎, especially if it gets pollinated. I feel like the flavor is more robust with pollination.

1 Like