Golden Muscat grape is back at whole foods

This is the best grapes imo. I wished I could grow them in z5

Tony

4 Likes

I bet they’re not organic?

1 Like

Where are grapes ripening now? Australia maybe?

1 Like

We grow those in our vineyard here in Italy

3 Likes

I would assume these are from Chile.

3 Likes

Totally agree and I just bought some too at Whole Paycheck last Saturday.
Yes, from South America.

2 Likes

I grew it in my backyard. The fruits ripen very late

Lol…is that because it’s expensive?

1 Like

I found them at our local Indian supermarket. They are about $5 a lb. This was the first time I saw them there.

@tonyOmahaz5 were they organic as sold at Whole Foods? The ones I saw were not.

@exmil yes, the store is infamous for high prices. But some of that is because they carry luxury items.

@mamuang the ones I bought were not organic. I’ve bought them for years and don’t recall ever seeing organic

1 Like

I don’t think they are organic.

The ones with more of a pink blush are particularly flavorful.

I wonder they accidentally named it “Golden Muscat” for marketing when there is a cultivar that already exists with that name. It’s an old variety with slip skin and prominent seeds but very flavorful. While I haven’t tried the “new” Golden Muscat from the stores, I doubt any modern grapes have seeds and slip skin.

I grew this one and while it’s vigorous and productive and my daughter liked it a lot, she made me open each grape, take out the seeds and give it to her :slight_smile: I removed it after one year of fruiting!

2 Likes

I went back to that Indian store. No muscat grapes. They sold them about 2 weeks!

This one is seedless. I bought 4 pounds and my family finished them at dinner. :laughing:

1 Like

It doesn’t look like Summer Muscat which is the best tasting grape I’ve ever eaten. I’m also trying Diamond Muscat, a sibling of SM. I’m hoping one or the other will have nice berries that can be dried. I think they’d make killer raisins.

If they could get the Summer Muscat taste into a big attractive berry with good texture it would sell like hot cakes.

2 Likes

First timer here. This thread inspired me to get some. Yum. My kid loves them too.

My son says “we should have got a bigger bag.”

2 Likes

I’ve never seen this particular grape labeled Golden Muscat in my area, but in any case, I’m pretty sure this is a proprietary vinifera cultivar only licensed for Chile. It doesn’t resemble any of the seedless muscat varieties available in the US.

With girdling and gibberellic acid treatment it should be possible to get large berries in Summer Muscat. I think the problem with many muscat grapes is that the flavor tends to fade in cold storage, and grapes are often stored for weeks or months before being sold.

1 Like

The pinkish color in Tony’s picture matches the Golden Muscat that I grow. It stays yellowish them add a little pink when ripen. My is seeded but can use chemicals treatment to make it seedless.

2 Likes

I went to WholeFoods yesterday and bought Muscat Beauty grapes, just to see how it tastes. It does have a pleasant flavor. It’s also very similar to the “Honey Pearls” grapes from Trader Joe’s where I usually shop. To my taste buds the latter was slightly better, but it’s possible both are the same variety.

2 Likes