One year after this experiment, pretty much all D.Vs grafted directly on D.K (Jiro) died. None of the direct double-grafts (with hybrid interstem) leafed out. For the hybrids - Gora Roman Kosh, Nikita’s Gift and Kandy Korn leafed out and growing well. Kasandra is a graft failure. Chuchupaka leafed out but dried up late last year. Rojo Brilliante and Giombo on Jiro are also growing well, but they are all Kakis.
You better plant you a D.V. in the yard.
already did and potted up a few rootstocks too
If you can…
And start grafting kaki’s to D.V.
I know the “California Rule” is never D.V. on Kaki (D.K). It’s funny/odd that it seems maybe? 75 or 95% of the grafted Kaki grown are grafted to D.V. I graft kaki to American and get em’ all to take w/o any swelling, yet.
This perplexes me, still, Udhay.
yea, I saw a similar post from L.E.Cooke on why they graft Kaki to Lotus and not D.V (in California). My guess is that this is specific to the variety Jiro (marketed as Fuyu) which should be something like 90% of the trees sold here. I have seen it myself and also hear from other folks that Hachiya (which may constitute the remaining 10% of the sales) is runting on D. Lotus whereas Hachiya on D.V planted at the same spot is doing well. I left my Jiro be with all its grafts and planted a D.V seedling at a different spot to collect all the nice varieties (from you ).
I was just going to ask you if you needed Chuchupaka? Send me a message if so, thanks, Udhay.
funny! : )
After many years i now know that DV is an excellent rootstock for Kaki. But it is not great to grow DV in pots and it wants to send deep tap roots into the ground.
I also know that Kaki as rootstock is incompatible with DV scion.
Since I expect a lot of my trees to be pot bound for the foreseeable future, I will be switching to lotus as rootstock for both Kaki and hybrids.