Grafting Apple trees

Iā€™m confused? What is the difference between a sour and a bud? Very new to this? If possible can you upload a pic of your grafts? Here is mine. Any tips are appreciated

2 Likes

Right off, done forgot who sent me ā€œGinger Goldā€, but every bit of scion bloomedā€¦or tried to.
And the one I put on a new Frankentree I may let have one apple. There were no spur growths, just one year straight wood. Every node of the scionwood must have had blossoms.

And, two of the three grafts got those blossoms frozen, so no worries about pinching the fruit.
The one on the multi-graft tree is not yet showing pink, but the blooms are there.

Iā€™ve previously noted this phenomenon with Maiden Blush and a couple other trees. Oh, and Niedzwetzkyana and apparently Veralma Simontornya.

Your grafts look great!

A fruit spur is a bud which has specialized to produce flowers and fruit. They are typically plumper than vegetative buds, and stand out from the stem that they are growing on. Hereā€™s a Youtube video that might help:

And maybe this:

3 Likes

Anybody else have their grafting pics I can look at and see what I can do to improve my grafting skills. I had a great time doing it and already canā€™t wait till next year to do it again! Learn from my mistakes. Think next year I will take shorter scions.

3 Likes

ā€œThink next year I will take shorter scions,ā€ shows you are already thinking about what youā€™ve done & how to improve. You are on the way.
I started by looking at some books & articles, sharpening a knife & trying it. Summer bud grafts first time around gave me 50% take. By the time those had shown life I had decided I didnā€™t even want that kind of apple in the yard anymore!
Of the 11 apples in my care, one was bought as a whip, 3 bought as bench grafts, the rest of my own making. Several of those even started on root stocks Iā€™d started here.
Last year I bought one plum as a maiden & dormant chip-budded the other.

Learning to graft is changing the menu.

4 Likes

There is a 2020 grafting thread with several pics of peoples grafts Here :+1:

4 Likes

@Luongo43 Iā€™d recommend watching Skillcultā€™s grafting playlist on YouTube if you havenā€™t already. It helped me to be able to see someone doing it in video form rather than just seeing pictures. Stick with it and youā€™ll succeed.

5 Likes

Just a follow up on your advice. I pinched the blooms off the graft that had them. Here is what I noticed today. Vegetative growth?

The next questionā€¦ should I at some point cut back the limb above it? This graft is on the lower half of a forked branch. Better seen on the picture below.

On the graft that I said didnā€™t take when I checked it again it had come out with two sets of blooms also. So I pinched them. That graft still isnā€™t looking probable but who knows.

And then I have the first graft that is looking really good. Thanks for all your advice!!!

2 Likes

I think that yes, thatā€™s vegetative growth, and yes, you can cut off the fork that youā€™re replacing, letting your nice, healthy looking graft dominate. And I think the graft that pushed blooms is trying to take and just might. Never say die ā€¦ well, at least not right away!

Looks like a nice job. Itā€™s a hoot, ainā€™t it?

3 Likes

Yepā€¦itā€™s fun and amazing! This tree (Bramleyā€™s Seedling) I received as a 13ā€ bench graft a few years back that I thought I lost my money on lots of times. Itā€™s doing so well now and has three small apples on it!!! The graft is from a Hunge that got damaged at ground level on the trunk and never leafed out this year. I recognized that this was going to happen and cut some scion from the Hunge before it died. Now Iā€™ve got two, possibly three, grafts of the Hunge on three different trees. I wish I had started learning this stuff years earlier!!!

Thanks Mark!!!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve found that several of my grafts flowered this year too.

It was all from beautiful one year wood and four different varieties. I picked the flowers off and am hoping for the best.

1 Like

I try to pick those flowers off as soon as I can. In fact, I have a few grafts from last year that have flowers this year. Most I will remove the flowers.

The graft of Muscat de Venus (pretty name isnā€™t it?) is quite strong. It could keep an apple, couldnā€™t it? :grin:. I am so tempted to let that one flower and set fruit.

3 Likes

If itā€™s very vigorous graft can you get away with letting it fruit? This is my Ashmeads Kernel graft from last year. It grew about 3 feet last year and is blooming nicely this year. I was going to let the branch hold on to 5-10 apples this year. Donā€™t know if itā€™s a bad idea.

2 Likes

A year-old graft? I would think that would be fine. MDV is a small apple and isnā€™t likely to strain a strong graft. I often allow a fruit or two on vigorous year-old grafts, and itā€™s never caused a problem.

3 Likes

On a new tree like that, Iā€™d be inclined to remove the blooms and encourage it to start growing scaffolding wood. Notch above the buds youā€™d like to turn into branches, and remove any buds below the lowest of these. You can perhaps allow a test fruit or two next year on new scaffold branches.

2 Likes

This is actually a fully branched out tree. Couple of years in the ground now. I just got that one branch in the picture.

1 Like

@jerry,
My view on Muscat is colored by my wish to taste the apple this year. It grafted was a bit over two ft and the size of the twig is sturdy enough. Glad to hear that Muscat is a small apple. I would not want to keep the fruit if it is a size of King of Pippins.

@Susu, if we see the whole tree, we could properly encourage you how many apples to keep. What rootstock it is on? It is important to know.

1 Like

Sorry; I misunderstood your description.

If itā€™s a vigorous year-old graft on an established tree, I think you could safely let it bear a couple of apples now. Once itā€™s two years old, if itā€™s still growing vigorously, I donā€™t think that graft strength will be much of an issue and you should be able to let it fruit normally.

AK is a vigorous triploid, but - at least in my environment, on MM111 - a somewhat shy bearer.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a picture of the tree. It looks weird because Iā€™m in the process of converting it from centra leader to open.

2 Likes

It can handle some apples. I donā€™t know if I would leave as many as 10. Will you let the central lead fruit and chop it off late in the fall?