Grafting dummy question: What can be grafted to plum tree?(Pruned pictures attached)

:+1:

My green gage is in fact green but the story is similar to yours it bears light if at all. It took years to begin fruiting. A pear in the same space and given the same effort would produce a1000 fold. Stone fruit are something I grow in very limited amounts. I love stone fruit but they are disease and pest prone.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Galina,
Did you remove your gage plum?

The scionwood you gave me last year has survived. It is small and has not grown much. I grafted it on Mirabelle Parfume de September so cross pollination should be fine.

In a few years, we could find out what plum it is or if it is even a plum :grin:

Didn’t remove it yet, still thinking about it. I really can’t afford low bearing tree. I do not have space for it. I can’t decide if I should have E plum(then graft with something producing with not certain results) or just have a new peach there…

Galina,

We are only 4 miles apart. You seem to be very fortunate with your peach tree. I don’t have such luck. I have too many pests (Oriental Fruit moths, plum curculios, coddling moths, stinkbugs, etc). When I thought I fended off those bugs, I got hit with brown rot. The rot gets worse each year.

I still have two peach trees and one nectarine. I probably want one more peach tree to replace the one that just died. That’s about it.

You don’t care for apples? There are a lot more trouble free apples than plums or peaches. Asian pears are also good.

I planted one apple tree this year to be an espalier tree in the low part of my garden. Planning on planting one more next year (this year I was too late for dwarf Antonovka that I want). Asian pears are nice, but just for fresh eating, and I want something I can preserve. For the peach - I have all the same problems. For Oriental Fruit moth I think my bug zapper with lure works. I have brown rot, I also have something else that I can’t figure out yet - bacterial spot or something else… Every peach affected, but is still eatable, though presentation is not good :slightly_smiling:. And I also never thin peaches - so they are not that large, but generally I think it gives me more, at least if brown rot takes them, I still have a lot left).

A bit of brown rot showed up in the third year of my peach production. It got more in 2014. I tried spraying sulfur, not working.

Last year was bad. At least 70% got hit. I also has brown rot on nearby cherries so they are alive and multiply in my yard. I plan to use really strong chemical for brown rot on peaches this year but freeze to care of peaches. I will use it on cherries if I do not forget.

Pun intended? Are the Gages the most popular?

Didn’t you buy Indar?

I did. I plan to use it but I have so much going on that I may forget to spray at the right time :slightly_smiling:

I will spray late summer, unless I’m out of my house by then. I cannot wait for my apples to pollenize so I can spray my entire orchard as once. Time for pesticides.

Mrs. G.,
The label says spray 3 week before harvest and one week before. I don’t think you can spray once for everything as different fruit ripen at a different time.

The Indar label I read only use for nectarines and bananas. Wonder why not peaches or cherries.

I certainly don’t. I get control for peaches with a single spray of Indar a month before harvest- only nectarines and cherries will I spray again 2 weeks before. The problem with cherries is they often crack in the rain and they are bound to begin to rot then.

Went out today to spray BT on my sour cherry for winter moth and found that GG is covering all the morning sun for my sour cherry. Took my tools and gave GG good haircut. Also removed one limb and half-broke couple young branches as it was suggested.

This is what I got now. The next steps are still unclear…

galinas,
Personally,I’d get rid of that horizontal branch,but that’s me. Brady

This is only branch a see couple of flowers on and only one that doesn’t give me 5’ long shots… Still better to remove?

I’d remove the branch for aesthetics and there won’t be the opportunity for so many water sprouts,like there is now.It’s your choice and that can be done anytime.Right now,it kind of looks like an espalier experiment on one side of the tree.The limb could also be shortened.
Hopefully,the whole tree will bloom and fruit one of these years,if allowed to stay.
Is mamuang going to help graft anything? Brady

About grafting - not sure yet… I am kind of tired of this tree, and also I need a space for a new peach as mine is aging… So still thinking. the pruning was for the sake of my sour cherry get sun. I would have to do this anyway, even I decide to cut the tree down.

Brady, I like my tree spreading. This Mirabelle Prafume de September was planted in 2014 in the middle of my lawn, poor soil.

2 Likes