Grafting figs, a good way to start 2024

It may be a bit early but today I grafted five fig varieties onto in-ground plants in my greenhouse. It’s near 90 for about 8 hours a day. Low 48 at night. I think they’ll heal in that regimen. If not I’ll try again later. Early does beat the graft flooding issue that becomes a big deal after they get up a head of steam.

17 Likes

So tidy and new. How are your bananas doing?

1 Like

My banana didn’t like the cold soil in pots during chill cycle. But none died and they’re growing again. In 2-3 months they’ll look like new. I’m hoping the big one shoots out a flower before June.

2 Likes

What do we see in the foreground with the lance-shaped leaves?

1 Like

In the bottom picture that’s my new mango planting. Grafted and seed grown planted within the last year.

4 Likes

After a break of several years, I rooted several figs yesterday.

2 Likes

I’m rooting a few also. Mostly thin extra cuttings. My daughter is rooting the good ones.

The varieties I grafted are: Joualle Noire, Black Manzanita, Boysenberry Blush, Cosme Manyo, and DSJG.

3 Likes

Excellent figs. Blueberry Blush? Can you elaborate on this fig? I wanted a Cosme Manyo but it’s a hard one to get. How good is the CM? Thanks

1 Like

Agree, going several weeks ahead of bud break makes a huge difference for figs as well as for mulberry for me. Very nice greenhouse!
Happy New year
Dennis
Kent, Wa

2 Likes

That’s a new fig…ment of my imagination. Actually Boysenberry Blush.

I like Cosme Manyo. It’s a big grayish fig somewhat like DSJG, Den Sen Jaume Gran.

1 Like

Thanks Steven. I got excited for a blueberry fig :smiley:

1 Like

@Plants
I can see it now … a blue CRISPR fig for the anthocyanin seekers.

2 Likes

I finally got out and started 37 Brown Turkey Fig cuttings. I waited to long on the grapes as they browned out.

I’ve actually thought about this and wonder when there will be a Blueberry Blush fig. Catchy name. Richard have you found anthocyanin in any figs?

I have seen figs that can have a bluish tinge. Mostly it’s camera tricks. But I’ve seen it myself.

Pastilliere is one fig with a definite blue skin.
I can’t say I detected any blueberry flavor.
Too bad no one grows it as it won’t hold fruit reliably until it is about 4 years old.

Figs do contain them, although as a syconium I’m not sure if they measure up to other fruit bodies.

1 Like

Three structures contribute to the flavor of figs: skin, meat, and pulp. The pulp contributes the majority. The meat however, could make blueberry flavor difficult.