Grafts seem to be not taking

Thanks for all the info everyone.
I really should get out and take some pictures. I think my problems are a combination of things at this point.
I think I may have grafted to far down the branch rather than graft at the base. Also, I think I didn’t wrap the tape tight enough. It sounds like you guys wrap the tape really tight.
The most frustrating thing is that I have to wait until next year.

No need to wait until next year- I was still grafting earlier this afternoon. If you’ve used up your scionwood, I should still have some left.

Grafting too far down the branch (further from the trunk, right?) isn’t a big issue- it just means that you need to be carefull about pruning in the future. It also limits the size of the grafted branch a bit. But, it can help you choose a spot where the diameter of the branch matches the scion perfectly. It also means that you can get more grafts on the same tree, which increases the chances of at least 1 taking. You may need to go in later and prune out the parts of the branch that don’t have the desired variety…

1 Like

Hi Bob,
I have used up all my scion wood.
I you have any, I would love some. What varieties do you have?
I would love a chance to try again
Thanks

Send me a PM and we can discuss all the details. I know I have some wood from ARS and probably another half dozen varieties. Just apples, right?

Thanks to BobVance, I got another chance at grafting this season. I hope it’s not too late.
I did all my grafts today. This time I used parafilm and coated any exposed surfaces with toilet ring wax.
I also did more of a variety of methods this time just to see what works for me. I mostly did single cleft grafts and some double clefts. I did a few whip and tongues and one saddle graft (like Stephen Hayes)
I don’t think I will be doing anymore saddle grafts. Kind of a dangerous one.
Hope it works this time.

1 Like

Good luck, I hope they do well for you.

@ribs1 Yay!

@BobVance So generous!

For some encouragement: Bob shared a pear scion of Fondante de Moulin-Lille with me in late spring. My first batch of grafts failed during a bout of dry heat here in May. I kept the leftover budwood in the frig and re-grafted just a few weeks ago. I pruned the host tree to give the grafts apical dominance, and lightly fertilized the tree. We got ample rain here the past few weeks, and my “late” grafts took! Without a doubt, I can see they are growing out very well.

Thanks @BobVance !

Good luck @ribs1 !

2 Likes

Hello,
Just looking for some more advise. I grafted last week and used parafilm on all my grafts. It seems like it’s tough to wrap the grafts really tight with that stuff. Should I go over the graft unions with rubber bands?

Also, how long does it usually take to start seeing growth?
Thanks

I like to wrap the scion with pre-stretched parafilm (single layer so that buds can break through), before making the graft. After inserting the scion to the host branch, I tie it tightly with non-sticky garden tape. Rubber bands could probably serve the same purpose. After the tape, I cover the union with a layer of parafilm to ensure complete coverage.

Most grafts start to show growth somewhere between 10 and 20 days. I’ve seen a few which took over a month- I think 1.5 months was the record.

Glad Fondante de Moulin-Lille took for you Matt. It was great last year (1st fruiting for me) and I’m looking forward to a larger crop this fall.

2 Likes

Bob,

Today, I removed the tape on my FdM-L rind graft (top of photo). Better late than never. It has grown a ton and looks great.

3 Likes

Wow, your label looks better than my tool embossed ones. I can’t write that neatly on graph paper.

2 Likes

I was just going to comment on how great those labels look. Did you just fill in the impression with a sharpy? I’m curious how long the blue will last. Not that it will matter since they are inscribed but they are certainly eye catching…

Jafar,

It’s a co-benefit of my obsessive-compulsive neurosis.

2 Likes

Like @Drew51 said: The blue ink eventually wears off, but the copper remains engraved and can be legible for decades.

Just a ball-point pen. The ink is all over my hands!

2 Likes

They look great @Matt_in_Maryland. Is that copper as well as copper wire? I’ve been using aluminum from drink cans but the shiny surface and graphics on one side are pretty noticeable. I see yours are still shiny too though. If it’s copper, do they blend in well once tarnished?

Yeah. Read all about it:

@Drew51 turned me on to these copper wire tags.

Thanks @Matt_in_Maryland. I found @Drew51’s comment about keeping them shiny to scare away animals interesting. Any idea if this worked Drew? I can say that the aluminum ones I used are still pretty shiny but it didn’t seem to bother the squirrels at all.

It might dissuade the more skiddish birds.

I’m out of town, working on my cottage. I have yet to try keeping them shiny. Left alone they blend in too much, hard to see. I still like them. Doing any gardening this last month has been difficult. No end in sight of the work here. I won’t be around much this fall.