Grape flavored apples?

Wow. These marketing folks are getting out of hand. I didn’t pay $4 for 4 apples to prove it, but I doubt there is a lot of grape taste here!

If u can’t Tell, it says “Grapple- grape flavored apple” I DOUBT IT!

I found a seedling last fall that tastes like grape (grape Jolly Rancher candy), I can send you scion wood next winter if you would like.

they dunk these in a something used to repel birds that just happens to have grape soda flavor. no B.S. google It

1 Like

Those are things you don’t want to put in your mouth. Yuck!! Experience.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I’ll be dang. They are fuji dunked in bubblelicious grape flavor. That sounds awful.

Or, as the hippie said in the article I read about them, they may be ok after you hollow them out and smoke weed out of them.

1 Like

Is it a labrusca (concorde grapes) aroma?

What genetics in this seedling? Sounds interesting.

Derek, unfortunately I have no idea it’s a wild seedling in the mountains. I’m currently growing seedlings from it, so in 2-3 years we’ll see.

muscat de venus is supposed to have a grapey, floral flavor. Not sure if it is true, but should be able to tell you promptly in 2-4 years (just got a scion this yr)

2 Likes

Were you able to get scion wood from the original tree?

That apple sounds really good. If it is, why didn’t you get some scion from instead of trying to grow it out as a seedling - which most likely won’t be much of an apple? Please don’t take that as me saying what you should have done- I simply curious.

My specimen (a Greenmantle benchgraft on MM111) is blooming for the first time this year. I’m looking forward to finding out what it tastes like.

yeah I got it and wickson in a trade w/ someone, I think it was aphahn, looking forward to starting a crab frankentree:

Trailman
Muscat de Venus
Wickson
Chestnut
Kerr
Whitney(?)

I was thinking, once upon a time, of a single frankenapple but I am pretty sure I am up to needing like 3, unless I want like 4 apples per variety. As it stands I have like 40 varieties and even if I only opt to keep like half that’s still a lot of scaffolds I need :frowning I have the same deal w/ pears (except only 1 Euro and 1 Asian), plums (Japanese, Euro, and probably a full Mirabelle), etc…

The grapey flavor is synonymous with the term “vinious.”

Stayman Winesap also has a vinious flavor. So does Opal, but Opal is a club apple (loud boos).

I believe in the muscat it was supposed to be actually muscat-fruity, although

1. we will see when there’s actual apples
    and
  2. what you hear from folks selling them isn’t exactly short on hyperbole sometimes

@Quill Most of the area was still snow bound or roads were closed due to water saturation, I plan to go back this summer for bud wood.

@thecityman I’m growing about 30 seedlings out this year from the area just for fun. They probably won’t amount to much, but you never know. There are some interesting genetics in the area, last year I found a very large (2lbs) golden del. type, and one that would classify as a bittersharp growing in a basalt canyon in 105 degree heat, I also found a seedling that is to me what an apple should be: balanced sweet/tart, aromatic and crisp.

I don’t taste any grape in an opal. Oh well…subjectiveness strikes again.

1 Like

Aren’t Macintosh also considered “vinuous”? I can kinda get that impression from sampling some of them. Some, not all.

Macoun is in the Mac school and has a little bit of grape going on.

I think of true Macs as having a unique flavor that’s hard to describe. Sort of has a tarter fresher edge to it.

Grāpple (/ˈɡreɪpəl/ grayp-əl)[1][2] is the registered brand name for a commercially marketed brand of Fuji or Gala apple that has been soaked in a solution of methyl anthranilate and water in an attempt to make the flesh taste like a Concord grape.

1 Like