Grow more food! Think there will be more shortages

Saltines and bread scarce Fri/Sat. here…of the 45 (I exaggerate slightly) Dollar stores in the county I don’t think any of them had crackers for the soup.
Oh, I reckon cornbread is OK in soup!

11 days ago got 8 inches…and it melted in 48 hours…this time near 6 in. but some got more or less.

There may be ‘stagflation’ reminiscent of 1980 this coming year…prices go up but the economy drags. No matter, it doesn’t take much for a panic
and items start clearing out on the shelves.

The old “just in time” inventory replacement philosophy isn’t so good in times of interruptions.

2 Likes

@BlueBerry

Think your right reminds me of my childhood. Everyone talks of the good old days but I remember them like yesterday and they were not always as good as people say. Remember serious inflation , gas line shortages and other things. Plan for the worst and hope for the best. Sam’s club has bulk 12 packs of saltine crackers for about $5.70.

2 Likes

Yes, lots of modern conveniences and gadgets…but people aren’t happier.
And if anyone tries to explain the reasons things are getting bad,
somebody gets ‘their feelings hurt’.

They may take kids to school and go get them in $40,000 dollar SUV’s and air conditioning…
and I had to hoof it a mile and stand for the school bus, no matter if it be 90 degrees or 5 degrees.
But I had a better education by end of 8th grade than many today have despite their Bachelor’s Degree.

I could go back to those days if I had to…except I don’t have a kerosene lamp!

6 Likes

i have 2 and 20 gal of kero ready to go. bought them at a amish store for $30 each. these are the big blue ones. think theyre called hurricanes. very heavilly built. its been a few years since i laid eyes on them.

3 Likes

I spent several weeks in Haiti over last few years. Many there are happier than here it seems. And they have nothing in comparison.

I know how little it takes to have “enough”. I could downshift my lifestyle 10 levels and still be doing great. All in perspective.

Having said that, I’ve spent less than half of my salary for over 10 years, so I’m fine living on less because I’m already doing it.

I think growing more is going to be wise very soon

14 Likes

the few frugal people in this world will barely notice lean times as they are already living meagerly. ask my wife . im a cheap bastard. my kids will confirm as well. my father was worse than me. you would get chewed out if there was more than 1 light on in the house at night. if you wasted food, you would get reminded millions in Africa could live a day on what you wasted. we were poor but i think thats what makes you appreciate things when you do get them. too many have forgotten previous generations hardships.

11 Likes

Frugal cheap bastards are ready for what’s coming!

5 Likes

Take a look at the Leacock Coleman Center website (https://www.leacockcolemancenter.com/Oil-Lamps-Lamp-Oil/folder/46), in the heart of PA Amish country. They sell by mail order as well as in person. I have one of their Aladdin lamps, a thing of beauty and much brighter light output than your typical kerosene lamp. Not cheap, but I think you get what you pay for. I got one as an investment against future problems.

4 Likes

@Yoda

Think you will like Lehmann as well they supply the Amish among others https://www.lehmans.com/

I’m not sure if they ever went online but an Amish wholesaler I used was Shetlers. The numbers below are old and likely no longer valid but they have great stuff

SHETLERS WHOLESALE CO
10111 S 450 E
GENEVA, IN 46740-9114
Phone: (260) 368-9069

Shetler’s Wholesale Co. and you can request a free catalog of general variety merchandise by writing PO Box 8, Geneva, IN 46740 or faxing 260.368.9902.

Here is another one I purchased from many years ago Kitchen Gadgets | Kitchen Accessories and Tools

If your after clothing I like Duluth. The Armachillo
Shirts are made with jade in the fabric they are truly incredible durable shirts https://www.duluthtrading.com/

Quality over quantity!

4 Likes

Yes, horseradish can go anywhere/everywhere if you are not careful. I might have some in my irises by mistake.:wink: I will always have horseradish.

2 Likes

Hey, COOL!! Never heard of Lehman’s before. Thanks, Clark! :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

We have similar experiences and started a small greenhouse this winter. We use to plant a great deal more in 22

2 Likes

Thanks for the link on Leman’s Clark.

I’m curious, does anyone have one of those hand crank radios?

I’ve always been fascinated with the idea of a hand crank radio. Do the cranks last very long? It seems to me the crank on a cheaply built one would wear out quickly. How is the reception?

2 Likes

We had one we kept in the basement for bad weather. It had a dynamo, weather radio, AM/FM, and flashlight. It worked great until the plastic crank broke (kids playing with it). It was worth having. It got decent reception, though not exceptional. Like anything, you get what you pay for so get a quality one.

5 Likes

@Olpea

We do have a hand crank radio and it is also solar powered. Have had it for 10+ years with no issues. The hand crank radio has always worked.

3 Likes

The big grocery store here (Woodmans) has been pretty well stocked, although prices are up on almost everything.

Now if you want new windows for your house or a remodel/…then get ready to wait because some makers are 6 months out (andersen). I ordered windows back in November and still have no idea when i’ll get them. I guess siding is also bad.

2 Likes

I was able to get all I needed for my chicken pen. Although it was easily twice as expensive as it was a year ago. Guy who used to work for me went to run his own fence business and is crapping himself over prices and people who won’t work.

2 Likes

@warmwxrules

I’m expecting falling prices on everything once interest goes up. Think we better kick up the gardening to compensate for the money lost

@dutch-s

That’s smart having chickens. How many fruit trees do you have? What’s your plans on feed for the chickens?

I’ve been using just Dumor 16% Layer feed for now with a mealworm snack they go crazy over. I have an enormous amount of range for them with all grass. Right now heavy overseeded with winter rye that’s very thick they also love. I’ll be growing amaranth and sorghum soon to supplement with. Over all I 35 or so fruit trees but also ton of acorn on the ground right now and pecan, hazelnut and chestnut trees they will eat if I shell them and I have 4 figs. Also 36 blackberry plants, 28 Blueberry plants and 30 grape plants and 12 elderberry

2 Likes