Grow more food! Think there will be more shortages

Supposed to be 22f tonight, I will let you know! Should be fine, though.

1 Like

I grew peanuts in our garden at Rocheport MO (west of Columbia) back around 1992.
Glenn Drowns offers a number of peanut varieties from his Sandhill Preservation farm in Calamus IA - and I’ve seen articles about folks in Ontario growing peanuts, so they don’t HAVE to be a Deep South crop.

3 Likes

No, but even some of the nuts a plant produces do not mature here in KY…so your harvest of usable nuts is going to be considerably less in zone 5 than zone 8.

1 Like

BB. I grew up in east-central Alabama. Right on the Zone 7/8 interface at the juncture of the Piedmont & Coastal Plain; there was commercial peanut production in my home county, but we grew 'em in the family garden. Some of the nuts that the plants set there, late in the season, don’t mature either. We called them ‘pops’… nice soft shell… you could eat 'em shell and all, when they were in a batch of boiled peanuts. Mmmmm.

3 Likes

Do peanuts need sandy soil? Yesterday watched a video on peanut production in SW Virginia- they said sandy soil is required. If not I might try it here in Md.

1 Like

I have no doubt that production - and harvest- would be better with a sandy soil, if only for ease of getting all the ‘nuts’ out of the ground.
Garden soil back home was more clayey than the flat, sandy soil in the southern end of the county. Garden in mid-MO was certainly not sandy…a significant number of nuts pulled loose during harvest, and I had to sort of sift around to try to get them all.

3 Likes

No, but like Lucky says, sandy soil makes them easier to plant, hoe, harvest.

3 Likes

@steveb4 ask and ye shall receive! Kitchen 518 has keto herbed focaccia rolls that you can dip in herbed olive oil like at Italian restaurants. SO good.

2 Likes

I never thought of growing horseradish! I love that stuff. I pile it on until I’m crying and my sinuses are blasted open.

5 Likes

Some fairly rich soil, and don’t let it get bone dry in droughty periods, and you should have a good looking plant. And also be able to harvest some.

3 Likes

i have a large patch of it growing near my composting chic manure in part shade. it thrives on neglect. bugs seem to love its leaves though but it doesnt seem to mind.

2 Likes

I use the leaves more than the roots…leaves go in with mustard, poke, dandelions, etc as I’m foraging for wild pot herbs.

1 Like

was down at the boat launch last summer on the Aroostook River. as we were unloading my buddy’s boat i noticed there was hundreds of horseradish growing all along the shoreline. as we started to troll i noticed both sides of the river was covered with it for at least a half mile downstream . never thought of it as invasive but i guess it can be.

3 Likes

@steveb4

That much horseradish sounds heavenly. We go to alot of trouble to grow horseradish.

2 Likes

Possibly you meant ‘heavenly’?

1 Like

My spell checker always helps me out. Not sure where it finds some of the words. It has been corrected.

2 Likes

Politics is one of the easiest ways to turn friends in to enemies, even if two people are nearly identical, it can still easily happen. Also some people like me are so sick of politics being everywhere, in ads, in the media, online, and so on.

As I am sure you remember that I was against politics discussion on this forum, because I’d like this forum to be peaceful, a place that people I respect are not fighting, and a place where I could escape politics.

Growing food, and sharing with friends whether it be plant knowledge, it be sharing sharing cuttings/scion, or whatever else, that actually creates positivity, and respect. We live in a time were too many things are politicized, and a time in which people spend way too much time tearing people apart. I am very happy that this forum has rules, and that they enforce them. I stopped using a plant forum because they enforced no rules what so ever, people could post whatever they liked.

4 Likes

It is political towards the end. As well as it could start political fighting.

it grows like a weed here. if not contained it will spread like crazy. i have mine shaded pretty good so it behaves itself. next time im at the Aroostook River ill try to remember to bring a pitchfork and dig some for you. its growing in river silt so should be easy to dig.

3 Likes

Looks like I called the shortages right U.S. grocery shortages deepen as pandemic dries supplies | Reuters

Thankfully it’s winter so we naturally are forced to keep a little extra on hand anyway as I don’t go to the grocery store this time of year. There has been ice and snow on the roads for days. My sisters children were stuck in the snows on the more traveled roads that had drifted shut a few days ago. The snow I was told had drifted several feet deep because of windy conditions at the time.

https://growingfruit.org/t/stocking-up-for-winter/41660

The snow is not to deep here and some of it began to melt yesterday.

2 Likes