Grow more food! Think there will be more shortages

Its worthwhile to see if there is a town/city nearby that does leaf composting. I live in an area where there isnt many people at all and i have one. I paid a local dump truck guy to haul me 10 tons and it goes a long long way. My local one is run by the city… so its free. They have probably 100000 tons of it on hand.

The university tests my local stuff and the guy running it said it has everything that i could ask for in it except for sodium. They said it was lacking in sodium.

I fear that it wont last forever though. They are trying hard to get people to use it… they post ads for it for free and have compost days… but people want to buy the bags from the box stores.

The more people use it the more funding they get to keep it going… but its not going to work long term. People dont like the idea of leaves…to them its garbage/waste…nuisance.

So can we call leaves ‘Fertilizer’? I know some people call it 'Compost".

2 Likes

It’s a nice thought. We do have local municipalities around KC, which offer free “lawn debris”. It’s good stuff, but paying to truck it is not cost effective for me. When selling fruit it can be hard to recoup costs for things like that.

I do have to pay for the round bales. But they cost me $35 per bale (delivered) and a bale weighs about a ton. It’s reasonably easy to apply (compared to dump trucks of mulch) and does a better job of controlling weeds on the tomatoes.

I agree that compost is really fertilizer. I look at every truckload of woodchips those trucks drop off, as a truckload of fertilizer.

4 Likes

i always ask a local arborist to drop me a load in june when the trees are leafed out and actively growing. the leaves chopped up in there really feed your plants/ trees that you mulch around. most these guys will drop a load off if theyre working nearby. 1 time i came home and there were 3 piles in the yard. all my plants had near a foot of mulch put around them that summer. by the following spring most of it was converted to nice black soil full of worms.

4 Likes

Maybe you can use a stimulus check for gas to get it youself?

1 Like

@krismoriah

I’m not sure I can handle any more free money. Inflation is terrible now I wish they would stop while we are all behind.

5 Likes

@BlueBerry

Yes in 2020 gas was cheap about half the price or less than it is now in my area. Facts are facts it’s just the truth. There have been a lot of bad things happen this year. Inflation and shortages is totally unacceptable. If something doesn’t work stop doing it.

3 Likes

Might be ‘unacceptable’…but I expect overall more shortages occur and more come to ‘accept’ them.

2 Likes

i have a hard time not believing this is being done on purpose to achieve a end result. why else would they continue to do the same mistakes over and over? common sense isnt so common anymore.

4 Likes

Pipelines would not really help that much. The problem currently is not enough oil to pump through them. In the short term, we need to drill for oil.

On a different tangent, I talked to the guy who runs the local co-op. He says they are having problems getting seed with no bulk shipments, rather, they are dribbling in a little at a time. I’d like to suggest that anyone who wants to plant a garden consider purchasing seed now, not later. This type situation is what usually occurs when they run out of things fairly fast.

3 Likes

In 2020, the overall demand for gas decreased as large economies were scaling down and trying to figure out how to manage covid.

There is a lot of nuance that goes into the price of gas and I think some of the posts are oversimplifying how all of it works. The American oil and gas industry is already heavily subsidized and there are plenty of site permits that aren’t being used. Is the answer to offer more subsidies to these companies? Because outside of doing that, the market isn’t motivating them to expand.

2 Likes

@Fusion_power

There is plenty of oil it’s in places where not everyone thinks we should take it from. There is no issue with the worlds oil this is kind of the USA only problem since we have oil. Im not saying other countries dont have problems but they dont have our resources. Another big problem is this impacts the dollar. People say gold backed the dollar or silver backed the dollar and it did but what’s been backing the dollar since 1964 was black gold. If our country goes off oil are we still #1 ? All people in America parties aside need to worry about the dollar. Oil runs our country if it’s messed with and it has been it will lead to shortages and there have been.

2 Likes

And in places where it can’t be economically recovered. But I disagree that there is plenty. Oil is a finite resource. We used up about 50% of the recoverable oil world wide in just over 100 years. How much will be left 100 years from now?

1 Like

@Fusion_power

That’s not what I mean we don’t need oil necessarily for another 5 years but we do need it now. Nuclear and solar or wind are doing there part improving every day but we are not prepared to change over just yet it’s not time. We are saying the same thing in a way I’m saying let’s use what we need and rush to not need it. Tesla is close on electric economy cars and many are close on break throughs in alternative power. Why is not every city harnessing water power in the rivers? Fuel can be made from coal but it’s not going to reduce our carbon uses. Who cares about carbon uses when our economy is struggling just run the country and do what we need to do for now. If you came to my house to install solar panels first you would warm up in front of that propane heater. We are all trying to lessen our costs and not need the rest of the world’s resources but it takes time.

2 Likes

Here’s some wood chips we got delivered this winter.

It’s a muddy mess out here right now, but we plan to spread them this spring.

Here’s a row of tomatoes we’ve managed to get mulched with hay this winter.

Btw, we need to cut the politics of energy on this thread please. Oil/gas subsidies, or lack thereof. Pipelines or no pipelines really drag us into politics.

5 Likes

@Olpea

Farm is looking good it looks like you have a great plan. Your right as well about oil though everyone is discussing it in terms of shortages or not that subject can jump quickly to other things. Do you sell your tomatoes? It’s my belief nothing tastes better than a homegrown tomato. Add homegrown tomato to a BLT and its close to heavinly! Add a slice of cheese and it’s over the top good! If I start selling tomatoes what should I charge?

3 Likes

We don’t have many tomatoes. Only about three 500’ rows.

We do make a little money on those, because they always produce, no matter the weather, pretty much.

We charge $2.50 per lb. last year. For our seconds we charged 1/2 price, but required a 25lb. minimum order.

I like selling tomatoes. It’s also my favorite fruit.

I would encourage anyone who wants to prep for shortages to grow tomatoes.

They are really good by themselves, peeled with a little salt (or sugar for some folks). Super yummy in the summer.

5 Likes

Got a bet with myself that Olpea loves Big Beef tomatoes. What varieties do you plant?

I’ve stated my personal preferences many times in other threads. I have 36 varieties started for my garden this year. They include several varieties to make custom crosses.

Andrew Rahart, Anna Russian, Aunt Ruby’s German Green, BBXEPB, Bear Creek, Bellstar, Black Cherry, Black From Tula PL, Brandywine Red, Burgundy Traveler, Calvin’s Green, Caro Red, Caro Rich, Cherokee Jumbo, Christopher Columbus, Costoluto Genovese, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, Dora, Druzba, Estlers Mortgage Lifter, Gary’O Sena, Goose Creek, Grubs Green, Heidi, Hibor, Indian Stripe, Jaune Flammee, Lucky Cross, Lynnwood, Lyuda’s Mom’s Red Ukraine, Marianna’s Peace, Muleteam, Omars Potato Leaf, Prudens Purple, Red Zebra, Tastiheart

4 Likes

First eggs. Great self sufficiency item.

8 Likes

@dutch-s

Yes and i noticed several shot gun shells to back up the chickens. A 12 gauge at times is a necessary tool when something has your chicken in that part of the country. Your right chickens are great for a homestead! Nothing is better than eggs for survival. In Florida even the snakes are big let alone bears, mountain lions, coyote everything likes a chicken dinner.

4 Likes

Haha. I didn’t even notice. I keep them and reload. Another little added self sufficiency thing

4 Likes