Grow more food! Think there will be more shortages

@dutch-s

Picked up on that they were reloaded as well. The high brass one looks like winchester. The black lower brass cases load better and the cases were different manufacturer types. Loaded a lot of cartridges in my childhood. Once in awhile the old guys still ask me questions about lead bullets, gas checks or various things having all but been lost to time. Cast the bullets in my childhood as well. The guy who taught me was nationally known amongst those circles. Learned reloading before kindergarten. Watched more than did it for years. That guy was big well over 6’ around 450 pounds. Those old military guys like him knew stuff about staying alive. He was a WW II vet.

2 Likes

Good eye. The low are Winchester AA. Very easy to reload and tough. The high brass are Fiocchi. Then I use these which are awesome for roll crimping 00 and slugs.

2 Likes

That’s 12 .22 size projectiles headed their way at a time. It’s highly effective especially up close. Slugs will work even to protect you against big stuff. My guess is you use blue dot powder when you reload those. Some use red dot or unique but for 3 inch it’s usually blue. Those double ot are store bought ofcourse at least at first. Those guys used 4 buck it increased their odds. Anyway I don’t usually talk much about it since there is not many who understand it now.

2 Likes

20yrs ago a friend from s. P.A invited me to come down to deer hunt. it was shotgun only. it was so darn thick with briars and blackberry patches, a deer could be bedded down 10ft. from you you wouldnt see him. we sat in tree stands in the morning and evening hunting the trails. then we would walk around slow during mid day. we’d load buckshot and take turns throwing osage seedballs into these thick briar patches. theyd bolt out and we’d blast them! in 5 days we killed 8 deer doing that.

3 Likes

I am a Teamster Pipeliner on the side. Last couple of years i worked 7 days a week 16hrs a day. We finished our run…but they are talking about putting a second line in beside them. We think it is for storage not transmission. Crazy amounts of money are spent putting those lines in. Billions.

4 Likes

I use these…i like em but i dont think they are any better than winchester 00

3 Likes

oilin is Winchester isnt it? just different colored shells. where did you buy these?

1 Like

Re: Big Beef.

Yep, about 100 of those I convinced my nurseryman,with green houses to start for me as a trial. This was based on yours and another southerner’s recs.

I sure hope you Rebs know how to grow tomatoes.

I’m a redneck, and we don’t take kindly to substandard tomato recommendations. Out here in the wild west we string bad tomato growers up with a rope.

3 Likes

They were a gift… i was scared to run them thru my shotgun until i read up on them. Marketing BS… yep just plain ol winchesters. I keep them around for discussion… everyone falls for them being something like the Terminator would use…lol.

1 Like

@Olpea

@39thparallel sends me pictures everytime he’s out here. He said he’s seen something new everytime he’s out here. This is one house on my road

In my road I see some of the weirdest stuff. This is 50 years after I grew up. Back up 50 years ago and imagine my child hood. Big herds of deer ran by me when I was a boy.

9 Likes

i was a armorer when i was in the Army 30 years ago and it was the standard issue buckshot then. we had the Mossberg 500 pumps we shot them out of. great for clearing buildings.

1 Like

Ted Turner has a 35,000 acre little place about 5 miles up the road from me. My neighbor is a nuisance hunter there. It’s called Avalon. They have a dozen or so peacocks. Most damn obnoxious animal I’ve ever run into. Filthy, noisy and obnoxious. But sure pretty.

3 Likes

Get your rope ready. The older I get, the more I realize I don’t know enough about growing tomatoes. When I was young, I thought I knew something about just almost everything including how to grow good tomatoes. The older I get, well, I realize how dumb I was back then.

Twenty years ago, one of the university researchers in Mississippi was trialing tomato varieties to see which performed best. There was a brand new hybrid released by BNH seed that was literally not available anywhere and he wanted to trial it. Just so happened that I had called BHN and requested a trial packet of seed a few months earlier and had posted on a discussion forum that I had them. So the researcher called me one evening and asked if I would be willing to send him about 50 seed for his trial. Short version, I sent him enough seed along with a request to see the results. That fall, he emailed me with a production chart for about 30 different hybrids. The winner was Big Beef. There was nothing else even close. Big Beef outproduced all the others with the closest competition being 20% less pounds of tomatoes. Not only that, but Big Beef was consistently rated superior for flavor. Now that does not mean as much since they were only comparing hybrids which are notorious for having poor flavor. But in my own trials, Big Beef was at the lower edge of the best flavored heirlooms which is certainly acceptable for a reliably productive tomato.

A local guy loved to grow Better Boy tomatoes. He would put in about 50 plants every year. He was a relatively famous potter named Jerry Brown. I offered to give him a tray of 24 Big Beef plants if he would grow them and compare with Better Boy. He took me up on the trade and I got a nice hand made pitcher on the exchange. In August, I went by to see how the tomatoes were doing. He pointed to his carport where he had 9 buckets piled high with tomatoes. These were full 5 gallon buckets of tomatoes. He said “I picked those from the Big Beef plants today. I picked 9 more the day before yesterday. I’m going to pick at least 9 more the day after tomorrow. I’m selling tomatoes and paying people to can tomatoes for me because I have too many. Not only that, but they taste better than the Better Boys.” From that day until he died, I traded him a tray of 48 Big Beef tomato plants for a piece of pottery every year. I have a nice collection of Jerry Brown pottery. He never had a failed crop with the Big Beef. Win Win for both of us!

8 Likes

@dutch-s

That’s a big chunk of property that makes this area look tame Look Inside Ted Turner‘s House in Florida | Architectural Digest

1 Like

Yep. He has a guy on property that breeds his hunting dogs for him. His son Beau has a place down the road. Seems I Remember it’s about 5000 acres. The disadvantage kids place there is for sale. Word has it Ted has the same disease Robin Williams did before he committed suicide. They say Ted doesn’t much know who or where he is anymore. The plantation is still functional though.

2 Likes

That’s life.
As you learn more, the horizon to things you don’t comprehend just keeps expanding.

Of course you know I’m joking around. As the saying goes, “He who can not laugh has no soul.”

Those are some impressive testimonies and comparisons. I appreciate you strongly suggesting it to me. I have four or five varieties I plan to grow this summer. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

3 Likes

I read some of your old threads i think in tomatoville… I am giving it a go this year on Big Beef myself. Thanks to your glowing reviews.

Is there a thread on here somewhere about which tomatoes you can save seeds from and which you cannot? What about corn?

The thread is about shortages so maybe someday there will be seed shortages too…

2 Likes

Another fan of BigBeef here… super producers of big beefy great tasting tomatoes… in my south east garden… easily produce 5 to 10x what any heirloom tomato does…

4 Likes

As those clear-cut areas regrow with rubus and other brushy type plants, you should see a population explosion. Unlike many bird species, deer thrive on edge type environments. They are natural browsers, so all that young, vegetative growth is potential deer food. I imagine you will see an uptick in a short amount of time.
Not to mention, many times clear cuts become.so thick that it is almost impossible to walk thru, which provides great cover for deer to bed in, and make an escape from, away from predators.

3 Likes