Grow more food! Think there will be more shortages

Fortunately or unfortuntely depending on perspective, many a city or subdivision has a homeowners association…and the wise person would check on restrictions BEFORE buying in such a community.

Prefer my area that has no rural zoning. Chickens the dogs, foxes and hawks might eat…but I could even let them run free as I have two neighbors that do.

As farmers know, you seldom get vacations…and need someone to look after things if you do take one. This commitment doesn’t agree with a lot of people anymore.

6 Likes

When I got married I lived at the house my grandfather built with wood from the farm he grew up on, which is still in operation and next door to the house. My wife hated the “isolation”. We’re in a mid-century neighborhood in the “city” on a culdesac where the swampy areas that were slated for development never got developed. Nowadays, developing those areas is illegal. So it’s somewhat secluded but close to anything.

I don’t care, 1/3 acre is enough for chickens and rabbits. It’s enough for even larger animals.

I’ve got a friend who lives on a “farm” (quotes needed there, as I come from a farming family and I do not consider this to be a real farm) who keeps all sorts of animals and he offered to let some sheep graze on my yard next summer. Since I have the gardens I figured my parent’s place would be a better idea. The yard is of similar size. My dad OKed it but when I called the town they said you need at least 3 acres to keep a “grazing animal” and even then they limit you to two per 3 acres.

Chicken coops are basically Illegal in this town due to the requirement for them to be at least 500 feet from a property line but many people keep chickens anyways. Some might not realize they’re breaking the law, some do. I can’t bring myself to do it myself. I’d be such a hypocrite if I flaunted the chicken coop law while also griping about people who do things like register their cars out of state to avoid paying property taxes on them.

2 Likes

Jim, sounds like we live in the same township. Although mine does allow hens (no roosters). But otherwise it’s just as stuck in the 50s with their manicured lawns and a prescribed shortlist of species of grass.

One thing that crossed my mind is talking to my township commissioner but I haven’t done it yet.

2 Likes

I lived in Puerto Rico for 3 years. Everyone there kept their chickens, cows and pigs at their homes. Many didn’t have grazing areas for cows and many people walked their cows in the morning to a grazing field the community used and paid for collectively, they would walk them home after work and do it again every day. It was a very rural place but was amazing to see the self sufficiency amongst the little separate communities. But then again I could get half a chicken and a full plate of red beans and rice for a buck and a quarter and then eat it in an open air dirt floor restaurant. Oh for the good old days…1977…and a can of El Tigre for a quarter…

7 Likes

I will get these babies fixed up like that… and another bed that has mostly collard greens in it. I may have another month or more before a hard frost. Last year it was Dec 3.

4 Likes

We did that 4 years ago when we made a bunch of raised beds. I’ve had no problems with it.

1 Like

Just stop griping about people registering their cars out of state to avoid paying property taxes on them and the like then you won’t be a hypocrite. There, problem solved. :grin:

6 Likes

If you’re posting about it on the internet, the govt knows about it.

1 Like

If I’m paying $1,000 per year in tax on my Subaru Ascent, then that lady down the street with the $50,000+ Chevy Tahoe and FL plates should be paying up whatever she owes. Nevermind people with even MORE expensive cars.

2 Likes

Wow, I’m glad that I don’t live where ever you live! My property tax (house and land) is high enough (in my opinion).

Does your neighbor have a 2nd house that they spend time at in the state that they register in? If so, they would be stupid not to register in the cheaper state. If not… oh well. I guess it wouldn’t really bother me personally, but I do understand why it might bother someone else.

2 Likes

No, this person lives in Connecticut and has lived in CT since the 90s. A lot of people do the out of state plate thing. FL used to be the out of state plate to get but a lot of people do Maine now, but you can use really any state. I used to have a next door neighbor with his and hers F-250s with Washington plates. They’ve since moved to Texas. It’s infuriating.

1 Like

I see.

Back to growing more food. Don’t forget about sprouting, you don’t even need land to do that.

I like this video because she is talking about more than just one type of grain/seed, but this is not exactly how I sprout. I don’t rinse 4 times a day. I just rinse in the morning and at night. That’s always worked just fine for me.

9 Likes

Maybe do like them an move to Texas?

4 Likes

ive found that if you consume them in small amounts over time your body gets somewhat used to them. even then id try to mix them into something instead of eating them strait up. someone said on another forum that if you ferment them it stops the gas. i havent tried that myself. they taste pretty good roasted , tossed in oil and seasonings. i have red and white ones.

5 Likes

@JeremiahT

Users on here jokingly referred to them as “fartichokes” There is some truth to that.

4 Likes

Happy with my $29/yr Tennessee vehicle registration and no personal property taxes on vehicles. No income tax either but there is a 9%+ sales tax.

What we grow won’t replace a need for the grocery store, but hopefully can at least supplement it.

8 Likes

They may have a hard time ID=ing ‘BlueBerry’…

but tis true that stuff on the internet never goes away (unless it’s dirt on powerful politicians…that seems to VANISH on social media).

2 Likes

I tried to write a reply but this WP article breaks it down better then I ever could. https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2021/09/04/ten-million-job-openings-labor-shortage/

The only thing it doesn’t talk about are people going back home to live with parents, back to school, upskilling and reskilling for better jobs.

2 Likes

Excellent idea. I like sprouts…especially on/in salads.

So, grow and harvest more seeds for sprouting.
(Or, if that’s too big a chore…stock up on case lots of your favorite seeds for sprouting.)

I’ve put aside more nuts and stuff than normal this year. And dried some apples.

3 Likes

get as friendly as you can with other self sufficient people . barter and trade for something they need or you need. thats how folks survived the depression.

5 Likes