Growing marijuana on the cusp of legal in NYS

If that were what was said I wouldn’t have commented like I did. Please stick to what was actually said.
"
Being a professional firefighter and in the healthcare end of this you see a lot different outcomes"

2 Likes

[quote=“alan, post:203, topic:45384”]
In my entire life I’ve never even heard of a specific medical emergency related to pot

3 Likes

How on earth can you separate consequences when you don’t even know what all drugs are involved. Of course there is going to be danger if people get stoned and drive or operate heavy equipment, but often they drink and smoke or do other drugs at the same time.

All of this stuff is such questionable analysis even the danzeb pubmed article failed to define “cannabis poisoning” and admitted that the data was difficult to draw conclusions from.

People who are psychologically unstable often are attracted to drugs- how obvious is that?

This does a pretty good job of refuting all your arguments against legalizing recreational pot by comparing before and after in states that have legalized it. The Effect of State Marijuana Legalizations: 2021 Update | Cato Institute

Fyi whiskey gives ny mom gout and aggravates her inflammation. Try omitting it and see if your inflamation recedes. Stick to cannabinoids for inflamation and pain relief, drink a lot of RO water and you may experience an overall increase in quality of life.

1 Like

It does no such thing. If we need more expert opinions about pot we will consult Cheech and Chong. Thanks for your input.

2 Likes

Glad it works you, your wife, and friends. I see it in a different light with my experiences and my profession. I know a couple of people that say they use the gummmies to sleep at night. One person had horrible night terrors from PTSD so it helps him sleep.

1 Like

i understand where you’re coming from. when you see the worst that people go through it profoundly imprints on you. my hats off to you and all 1st responders and our military. you are the most underappreciated, under paid, selfless people i know and are usually the ones that inspire people you helped to become one of you. when a persons at the bottom of the barrel they look to you to pull them out. i see all 1st responders as Gods angels working on earth, doing His will. God bless you all. stay safe!

3 Likes

Well said Steve. Absolutely concur! Thanks Mike and all first responders for your expertise and willingness to go where many won’t. KUDOS from Florida!

2 Likes

Good article. Somethings like suicides, car accidents and crime are complex and that makes it difficult to determine the significant causes. At the end of the article one of the conclusions of the study was: “The data so far, however, provide little support for the strong claims about legalization made by either opponents or supporters; the notable exception is tax revenue, which has exceeded some expectations.”

What are the claims by supporters exactly? My only claim is that the data does not indicate any significant medical or criminal harm caused by legalization. So far the studies pretty much bare this out.

Folks here want to make it a discussion on whether the substance itself is harmful and if so, how much so. That seems to still be a somewhat murky subject but there is no reason to believe it is more harmful than many other drugs taken recreationally and considerable evidence that it is relatively benign compared to opiates, cocaine or alcohol.

Read the article

It examines the specific changes that occur following the legalization of recreational pot. You seem to be arguing only about about the affects of its usage and wanting to remove it from the roster of recreational drugs available without logically examining the consequences and benefits of criminalizing a behavior that hasn’t been prevented with massive incarceration and huge allotments of taxpayer money. In an open and free society you cannot prevent people from using pot, you can only punish a small percentage of them at huge expense.

It isn’t a question of whether society benefits from the existence of marijuana in our portfolio of legal drugs, the question is whether decriminalizing it is harmful when weighing all the consequences. You have to do the math using every single aspect of the issue. Wouldn’t we be better off without alcohol and cigarettes? How about excessive sugar in industrial food? The damage we suffer from diabetes dwarfs anything you can possibly claim against cannabis, and yet we allow industry to seduce our children towards a diet that demonstrably encourages it in millions of our citizens. The suffering caused by this is almost incomprehensible to me.

In any case, it doesn’t matter what you think, the experiment is well under way and so far the results seem to suggest that legalization doesn’t open up the spigots of human tragedy in the way you believe through your extremely limited and biased observation (anecdote rather than clear statistics that involve millions of people). Prejudice muddles deductive reasoning in all of us, but in the next decade the results of legalization will likely be clear because it is what the majority of Americans want, especially the ones who aren’t going to be dead in a decade- our young aren’t following your “logic”.

1 Like

I agree Marijuana is less harmful than the other social drugs. Alcohol in the body turns into acetaldehyde which is a toxin that can damage cells. That’s why my boss had to have his liver replaced and why people have died from a day of excess alcohol consumption. Sadly it’s a part of social activity in many cultures including mine. It’s something I’m very aware of now and limit my alcohol consumption. Alcohol is certainly more physically harmful to the body than marijuana and probably more addictive.
As far as I know THC modifies cell activity without damaging them. Some research does indicate that it can effect brain development in teens.

Not dangerous yah: How about this from the link above:

According to multiple studies, for those who have ever suffered a full cannabis-induced psychotic break, the chance that, if you still keep using, you’ll eventually develop permanent schizophrenia is almost 50 percent. That’s a higher conversion rate than amphetamines, opioids or LSD.

And San Diego alone is seeing 37 cases a day of cannabis induced psychosis. That’s 13,500 a year in danger of schizophrenia, one of the worst outcomes I can think of.

1 Like

That would be people prone to schizophrenia from genetics or other prior environmental damage. Starting at a young age is also a problem. So yes, for that group of people it would be dangerous. Also the statistics may show marijuana use but there may also be other drugs also being used. Not a problem for most people.

2 Likes

The studies I’ve read suggest the main danger is triggering schitz earlier than it would have otherwise occurred.

Can you find a single study that suggests pot is nearly as dangerous to your health as alcohol? Where has anyone stated that they feel there is zero danger in smoking pot. It might make you think above is below or below is above, I have to admit :wink:. This link is below.

https://drugabuse.com/blog/marijuana-vs-alcohol/

1 Like

It’s better than alcohol. But what’s worse?

I chose wellness at the same age you chose weed. I’m happy with my choice and don’t need any recreational drug. To me it’s just like the choice between fruit and baked sweets. What do 99% chose for a birthday, holiday, or other celebration, the unhealthy one.

2 Likes

I take marijuana medicinally, not recreationally and in very small dosage. I fill my lungs to about half their capacity and immediately exhale before sleeping. I am a very intense personality and was always a very light sleeper. Once I got into my '60’s it became worse but now that I started my therapy I’m generally better rested… and it’s far too late for me to worry about being psychotic. Hee hee.

I also choose wellness and just came back from a very vigorous run after a day of very vigorous apple tree pruning and brush hauling. I take no pharmaceuticals and weigh about what I did when I was 20- I could do a few more pull-us then, but not too many more.

2 Likes

Nor what you think either.

4 Likes

Thank you! It was a great job and I appreciated every day I was there to help people in need. We did the best we could in every situation we were in to help people, save lives, and their property. Some of our 24 hour shifts felt like it was a week long. I was fortunate to have worked with some fantastic and caring people over the years. When I hear about the ones I worked with that have passed away it brings back more great memories of working with them.
I hate to bogart the tread here( notice the pot reference here…lol) so I just wanted to say thank you and Jeff for your comments for 1st responders and military.

3 Likes