Growing marijuana on the cusp of legal in NYS

Thank you for your kind words. See my comments to Steve above to you and him.

2 Likes

Always Mike. My Nephew chose the profession, my cousin has been a nurse for 35 years, my other nephew works the child cancer unit at a hospital in Ohio. Having a heart to help and even save others deserves recognition and thanks from us all. It’s tough, rewarding work not just anyone can do. Again TY to all of you :+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

All those links were before the farm bill was passed. Before that no study in the US or any publicly funded university could be approved by LAW unless it explicitly stated in its abstract that it was researching negative effects of cannabis. I am afraid that this set the tone on US cannabis research data. Like the oil industry collecting the data on CO2 levels. Better check those numbers yourself.

Why did the US put a patent on cannabis as a medical substance then at the SAME time they maintained the war on cannabis?
Here is an excerpt:
“Naturally, it shows that there is a certain amount of hypocrisy that there is ‘no accepted medical use’ for cannabis according to federal law,” Mendez said. “And yet here you have the very same government owning a patent for, ostensibly, a medical use for marijuana.”

Only 1% of people worldwide have been diagnosed with schitzophrenia and only 1.2 percent of Americans as of 2022 data.
https://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/evidence-and-research/learn-more-about/25-schizophrenia-fact-sheet

I agree that data clearly states that those diagnosed and currently in treatment do not benefit from cannabis as treatment for schizophrenia. But I would also argue that the crazy homeless guy with no pants talking to the tree or bus stop like it’s talking back did not get that way from the cannabis. I would say that this missed thru the cracks (schitzo) crazy person was all ready in need of intervention did the best they could. They took booze and weed to kill the pain or demons in their head. They did not have a prescription or pharmacy at their disposal.

I don’t know anyone who uses weed. So I guess you are the authority.

Over 1% with schizophrenia is a horrific number. Even a major psychotic break is a massive hit to the psyche. Thousands of those a year from weed use just in San Diego is a shocking number.

Some of you guys are so far into the weed patch that you can’t see out to the healthy world. Several posting above started early teens. Others don’t know anyone that doesn’t use. Good luck with that lifestyle.

1 Like

Most likely you do, but because of stigmatization, many dont advertise it. My dad is 82 years old and vocally anti drug, voted against legalization of marijuana here every time its been on the ballot, while at the same time he consumes CBD daily for his arthritis and high blood pressure. Many people who use weed dont even realize they are doing it, or are in denial like he is.

2 Likes

Dont believe the hype on psychosis. If that were the case the hospitals would be full. With all due respect check your sources and follow the money.

You must live in a very tiny town.

It’s not hype. It is factual. Just not a problem for most users.

Give my heartfelt “Thank You” to them as well. Tough job at times, but rewarding in so many other ways.

2 Likes

So some people shouldn’t smoke pot like some people shouldnt have matches,or drive.

1 Like

Hahaha

1 Like

I sure some people I know use it but don’t talk about it. In my social experience nobody cares much so it is not talked about much. I I do know a few daily users and it is easy to tell from their eyes. The only time I remember it being a topic of conversation was college into my 30s.

[quote=“fruitnut, post:229, topic:45384”]
I don’t know anyone who uses weed.

Huh? I guess you don’t get out much. Or maybe you don’t know everything about folks you “know”.

Research using longitudinal data from the National Epidemiological Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions examined associations between marijuana use, mood and anxiety disorders, and substance use disorders. After adjusting for various confounding factors, no association between marijuana use and mood and anxiety disorders was found. The only significant associations were increased risk of alcohol use disorders, nicotine dependence, marijuana use disorder, and other drug use disorders.62

That was included in this report, but it also contains research that suggests those with a genetic predisposition may increase the chances of severe psychosis, including schitz. It seems you can be tested to see if you do have such a predisposition.

I am extremely skeptical of your San Diego numbers and need to see it in something other than the NY Post.

1 Like

I suspect you would trust the New York Times better ?

1 Like

I could not have said it better myself. This is my train of thought more than being “the authority” @fruitnut.

I got into the medical focus when my father passed away due to pancreatic cancer in 2006. It ate away his bowels and made him a zombie on morphine bollusks. The only time he could ween of mortphine enough to talk in hospice is from cannabis. Otherwise he was too loopy from the morphine and just sat there in a daze drooling on himself in bed. No dignity.

Of the 150 or clients I consult for my business, exactly 72 of them use cannabis oil now I make and give them N/C. They put it in their food or coffee so there is no smoke. They are by far overwhelmingly retired senior citizens that had previously zero experience with cannabis or felt strongly of “ the evils”associated with it and knew it was not for them.
Most micro dose with it or only use it when their gout or arthritis or war wound flares up. But a few find it life altering.

One skeptical client took it for his fused vertebrae (retired pipe fitter) and found it worked better for his diabetes foot neoropathy pain and needles numbness. He now walks without the help of 2 canes like he did before cannabis. He has is also found he no longer needs metformin to control his type 2 diabetes.

Another client was a frog man in Vietnam and has shrapnel in his brain. He suffered from insomnia and night terrors. He goes to the PTSD talk group at the VA every week. Now he goes to share the miracle of cannabis oil with the vets that do not have access there. He no longer needs pills to fall asleep and whatever bag of pills (literal grocery bag of pills he showed me) they fed him to combat the night terrors.

They were all skeptics. Now we trade cuttings. :point_left:

You must not have heard of Charlottes web cultivar Charlotte Figi’s story. I posted a link but for those that don’t know here is a brief synopsis.

At age 5, Charlotte suffered as many as 300 grand mal seizures a week, used a wheelchair, went into repeated cardiac arrest and could barely speak.
With doctors out of ideas, Paige Figi began calling medical marijuana shops. Her symptoms largely disappeared after she began taking an oil created using a strain of marijuana with low THC, the drug’s psychoactive compound, but high in the chemical CBD, created by Stanley Brothers, a marijuana business in Colorado. It later named it after her.

2 Likes

Maybe I missed this in on of your posts here. Exactly what kind of business do you have and consult people? Thank you.

It’s nothing to do with cannabis. I am an ichthyologist and I am consulted to do dissection on dead fish. For hatcheries, aquariums, zoos, pets. My focus is on fish pathology. Minored in organic chemistry too. During covid I started adding consulting for high end custom aquariums. Turn key type. My biggest customers are medical buildings and swanky offices now days. It has become quite lucrative.

Just saying many skeptics have taken oil given to them to try. Like “I tried everything and nothing else to loose.”

1 Like

Thank you for sharing that. I have a friend whose child has seizures and cannabis is the BEST anti spasmodic agent out there. Everybody who has some shallow prejudiced view about cannabis can bow to the plant Teacher and be schooled.

1 Like

Now your playing humanitarian after trash talking cannabis…

We can all agree to disagree on personal use. I wish I could simmer the “sides”. Kind of like red and blue politics.

I just wanted the naysayers to know not all of us are crazy, schizophrenic, homeless, or holding up banks. Some of us cannabis addicts are tax paying college graduated business owning family people. Despite being told otherwise my WHOLE life.

Honestly I am more afraid of the caffeine addicts than the cannabis addicts. I feel I have been almost shanked before waiting line at Starbucks. Ha