Growing marijuana on the cusp of legal in NYS

I had a question about their background and how they got to selling CBD oil. It has not changed my mind about cannabis. It has nothing to do with you, noogy!

This is the lounge and a fine platform for trash talking anything you think is trash. I have no problem with Mike or Fruitnut expressing their negative opinions about pot as long as they are good sports about being contradicted.

We’re all good here. I doubt any of us expect to change anyone’s mind, but yeah, if someone is suffering from a painful malady that conventional medicine fails to help they often abandon established notions and experiment.

However, the way I see it, inspiring anecdotes are not the same as established science and we are just at the beginning of serious evaluations of the medical uses of marijuana.

1 Like

Actually, yes, as would most people who respect genuine journalism compared to the tabloid type, although I don’t expect perfect impartiality from either.

The numbers of psychotic episodes in San Diego seems highly exaggerated compared to what I can find by means of searching for genuine statistics. What is more, the research on the psychological and physiological affects of using marijuana are very preliminary as any legitimate researcher would admit. The use of epidemiological evidence in regards to this line of research is tricky because people with psychological problems may be drawn to heavy pot smoking or other drug use- the old causation and correlation conundrum to an extreme.

However, I am interested in comparing health and crime statistics of before and after legalization in states overall, and what is available right now doesn’t appear to be dramatic or the media would be all over it. That is what is discussed in the link I provided that none of you who oppose marijuana legalization have referred to, while we on the other side have considered the links of the opposition view.

Funny how that works.

Excuse me?

You are excused. This is my subjective observation, take it or leave it. I’m not aiming for journalistic accuracy but it seems to me that the balance of response I claim is true. No one addressed, for example, the Cato article that compared various statistics involving the before and after consequences of legalizing marijuana, and that is really what this topic is about, as far as I’m concerned.

It was never intended to be about the possible health consequences of heavy usage of high THC pot, particularly by adolescents. If there is a clear correlation between legalization and this activity, then we can discuss it. But I would add that only with legalization can we truly have the power to regulate. It can also provide tax revenue for research and treatment.

When I was a teenager in coastal CA, the best students were likely to smoke pot and, for that matter, many of the geniuses who created the internet smoked it and took psychedelics. Where my kid went to schools many years later it seemed like the less academically successful kids tended to be the heavy smokers HS. By college that dynamic probably changed… it did for my own son.

I wonder if this may warp statistics about the affects of pot smoking on mental health. Nowadays kids that don’t perform well academically are under a great deal of stress… it is a much more competitive world where a high level of education is often needed to be in the race. Long term stress is very bad for mental health and I believe kids are being raised today in a more stressful one than I was.

It was rhetorical excuse me.

You said those who were against legalization in a comment directed at me. I am not against legalization. I’ve been for it all along. I just believe we needs laws governing purchase and driving while high. :grin:

I cannot imagine a situation where children purchasing or driving high would be acceptable.

2 Likes

Nor adults driving high. Make all alcohol limits applicable to Pot when driving and or buying.

2 Likes

The problem is alcohol leaves the body in hours to a day depending upon how much.

Cannabis is immediately stored in our fat cells. It can be detected at DUI levels (nanograms per liter of blood) for up to a month. Yet the intoxicating effects last 2-6 hours. It is a yet unsolved conundrum to testing for cannabis intoxication. Lawyers are hip to this now and most cannabis dui charges are dropped on blood test now, unless the driver also failed a field sobriety test.

The problem lies that few statistical analysis factor this in. It’s great headlines to catch readers with “75% of drivers stopped also test positive for cannabis.”
What they should really say is “75% of drivers stopped for alcohol dui tried cannabis in the last 30days”. In reality the statistics have not been at the front of the race on this one.

Those with a little muffin puff around the waist it can take forever. If you use cannabis weekly or daily it can take 6 month to a year to be clean on a drug test.

When Washington went Cana legal all my employees had to test clean one time to continue to access the medical buildings. It was a requirement for all third party vendors. Anyway, all the chubby guys needed 6 months to test clean. One guy (like a bowl full of jelly) I kid you not needed 11 month to test clean. All the bean poles tested clean in a month.

I just want to warn with this psychosis stuff.

There is a study in Denmark where people who had psychotic symptoms were examined more closely and about a third of them had an inflammation in the brain.
how many people are treated with neuroleptics although it is completely wrong.

and psychotic symptoms can appear in almost everyone with an extreme stress reaction.
e.g. if someone is stranded on a lonely island without social contact, at some point he talks to the trees and stones or imagine people who also “answer” back to cope with loneliness

or if someone has an extreme lack of sleep and constant stress, this can trigger “psychosis symptoms” even if they are not psychotic.

and then there is a lot of nonsense diagnoses by psychiatrists.
examples. I know someone who is very anxious and rather depressed, after a 25-minute conversation the psychiatrist said her fears were a psychosis. She was on neuroleptics for over a year and things got much worse.
then she went to another psychiatrist who said that this diagnosis would be total nonsense and stopped the neuroleptics and give her sari

I once had a roommate who was bipolar, I knew his high and low phases and also the strong medication he was taking, including neuroleptics. in the end he took his own life.
I knew another person who went to a psychiatrist for depression who had diagnosed her as bipolar
and because i knew the bipolar roommate, i thought that can never be true and advised her to go to another psychiatrist who diagnosed something completely different and also got her ssri instead

I have no doubt that psychotic people exist, but I have a huge doubt that anyone who has been diagnosed with it is actually psychotic.

and I can only advise everyone to always go to different psychiatrists.

but what is horrible . These neuroleptics have severe side effects, such as depression, tiredness and listlessness.

and when someone is misdiagnosed with it, the person is harmed for life, these drugs are harming and if e.g. the employer knew about the diagnosis, or you get to know a new woman who prefers to be cautious about entering into a relationship with someone who used to be psychotic…

2 Likes

So now we blame the psychiatrist. Is that your point? Play with your brain getting high on anything and the results may be bad. Don’t blame someone else.

1 Like

Field sobriety test is in then. I’ve passed one after having some drinks quite awhile before I got pulled over. The Trooper stopped me for exceeding the safe speed for the weather. I was under the speed limit but it was pouring rain. He made me do a field sobriety test in the pouring rain and was actually surprised I passed it. I had been bowling but not drinking for a good while when he stopped me.

It’s not the weed or drug or alcohol that bothers me. It’s the impairment.

3 Likes

I don’t think the poster was making claims about cannabis use at all. It was more a side note about mental illness treatments.

They were just commenting that those being treated from brain disorders in general often have poor or iffy results with standard medical treatments. Or illustrating that mental illness treatments are a bit subjective and not standardly treated the same way or have the same outcomes even when they are. And clearly illustrating that different doctors have different diagnosis for the same patient.

I interpreted it such as Like the carpenter with the hammer only sees nails. Or the fruit pruner with the saw sees one more sucker branch.

1 Like

my point is that psychiatrists bring a lot of harm more often than you think!

and that i strongly advise not to just trust one psychiatrist. Get 10tens Opinions
do you go to someone else who will diagnose you with something totally different.
that you should be very careful! wrong diagnoses and wrong medication have serious side effects!

how far psychiatrists are involved in harming people with „drug-induced psychosis“ I don’t want to know!

3 Likes

The first part of my comment was directed at you, whence the quote.

Exactly right!

1 Like

If you are ordering one of these there at Starbucks I can see why. :laughing: That has to take a LONG time to make. While people behind someone ordering this just wants a black coffee. :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah, sugar infused industrial fuel is much worse for this country than the cumulative affects of all recreational drugs, including heroine and oxy. ODing on heroine is far less painful and slow than ODing on sugar.

Oct 25, 2022 37.3 million people have diabetes—that’s 11.3% of the US population. 28.7 million people have been diagnosed with diabetes. 8.5 million people who have diabetes have not been diagnosed and do not know they have it. Total Prediabetes 96 million US adults have prediabetes. 26.4 million adults 65 or older have prediabetes.

13,000 people die in this country every year from heroine overdose, 100,000 from diabetes.

Perhaps the U.S. government should focus on regulating the industrial food industry and leave pot-heads and their suppliers alone. Sugar is addictive and the food industry knows it. Starbucks has built their empire on caffeine-sugar addiction and the cost comes out of our lives, economy and overall costs of our heath care.

Diabetes doesn’t necessarily come from sugar a use or misuse. Make sure your accurate before you talk about it.

Childhood onset almost never comes from sugar abuse or misuse.

And Type 1 is number one in the US in kids

2 Likes

I never said a thing about the precise percentage caused by sugar and processed flour, and only meant to suggest that its contribution is dramatic although the exact statistic is not available as far as I can see.

It is obvious that the American diet high in processed foods has significantly increased our rates of diabetes and a 50% number would seem to be conservative.

Incidentally, I’m talking about type 2. Are you trolling?. You seem to be searching for anything that contradicts my statement without even thinking about the fact that Type 1 might not be the larger issue. Show me the numbers of 1 compared to 2… I can’t find it.

Diabetes is just one part of the health consequences of industrial food… check obesity and go from there.

I love how a few members always give a like to anything that contradicts any of my comments. Not exactly a sign of intellectual independence. I don’t understood the psychology of grudges but I seem to have encouraged them from my many comments when we had a political forum.

I never develop significant personal attitudes about people based on internet interactions. Every comment I see I take at face value and don’t bring attitude about the person who made it based on prior comments- usually you do the same… just not, it seems, when you are in a “mood”.

Personally I like to save my grudges for people that actually matter in my life.

1 Like