Hanners jumbo apple tree

Would like to order a hanners jumbo apple tree.
Any good idea where I can get on one.
One company wants $45 to ship one tree.
Thanks
Dave

Summary

This text will be hidden

1 Like

are the trees jumbo or the apples?

2 Likes

Trees of Antiquity is only source I know. The apple reportedly is huge.
The trees from T of A are good trees…just a tad expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

4 Likes

Thanks

If it makes a difference it’s a sport of Spokane Beauty. They taste the same, but Hanner’s is larger.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Hi there. Did you ever find a Hanners Jumbo apple tree? I checked Trees of Antiquity today and they list Hanners Best for sale, but I don’t see Hanners Jumbo. I really want this tree too if it is for sale. Or some scion wood for grafting if anyone has any of that. Thanks in advance, Garett.

Maybe they are they the same apple?

According to Fog Hollow Orchards, Hanners Jumbo is a sport of Stark Jumbo. According to Trees of Antiquity, Hanners Best is a sport of Spokane Beauty.

I grow the latter, and it’s easily the largest apple in my orchard. I’m not familiar with the former, so I can’t compare them.

2 Likes

Yeah those are the same details that I found while searching. I bought one of the Stark Jumbo trees about 20 years ago but it didn’t survive. I’ve recently been trying to track that tree down and found those details about the Hanners Jumbo in my search. I saw your photos of your big huge apple very impressive. is it good for fresh eating? And apple sauce? the city just built a fancy new community garden park right in front of my house. So I’m looking for super impressive fruit trees for my front yard.

1 Like

Decent for fresh eating, I think. Good for sauce, drying, and cooking as well. I think you’ll find it to be like an especially large Spokane Beauty.

1 Like

I may have Hanners Jumbo scion. It’s a young tree with not much scion.

2 Likes

I did and ordered one.
Thanks
Dave

Hi there saw this post today. Can I contact you this winter to maybe trade or something, for a scion or two (or three) of your Hanners Jumbo? If you have enough of course. Thanks for your consideration.

1 Like

Just planted it this year.
Maybe next year I would have a siconwood

1 Like

How are you doing.
Cold here in Nebraska.

Hi there doing good, thanks. It was 60 degrees today and in the 50’s all next week. I live near Portland, Oregon and it’s probably a little on the warm side right now. I might be able to chip bud graft them now but I’ve never done it this late. I’ve only been grafting a couple years. I’ve done it in late October with a peach bud graft last year, and that worked it grew all summer. The internet says I could bud graft in winter even but I don’t want to waste valuable scion wood if that’s wrong. I am not a pro at this so I don’t really now but I think I’d graft them now rather than hold onto them all winter in the fridge. Or maybe try a few bud grafts now and save the rest for late winter? If you were wanting to do a trade at this time not all of my trees are dormant enough to send dormant scion wood. Most are but not all. I only have five apple varities. I have mostly stone fruits - several Japanese plum, a few different peaches and a few nectarines. I have three pluots varities, and one pluerry. Two Euro plums, Two different sweet cherry trees. If cash is an option there is always that too. Thanks for reaching out.

I have a lot of different seedless grapes to pick from too.

If you would send me your address and when you would like to receive a siconwood from my hammers best jumbo apple
I would be able to get you a a stick or two this winter.
Dave

1 Like

Where did you end up buying your hanners jumbo apple tree I’ve been searching for one for years and can’t find anywhere?