Harrow Sweet at my new location

I removed all the blooms and fruit from my pear trees except for seven. One dropped inside the bag today and the other six look like they will soon be ready. This tree was planted in 2021 so I guess that is the reason for the early ripening. The inside was buttery and sweet. The peel had a little off taste.

16 Likes

Bill,
You just planted this early this spring?

If I were you, I would pick them rest. Put them on a counter.They are ready to be eaten in no time.

4 Likes

Good advice. They will be picked today. Thanks

1 Like

Glad I didn’t wait any longer to pick. They easily lifted off and this concludes my 2021 pear harvest.

17 Likes

Bill,
Put some in your fridge so they will last longer waiting for your grands.

5 Likes

I will. Thanks

1 Like

@Auburn

Great job growing those Bill they are perfect! Harrow sweet is a pear for you not just your heirs and I’m very thankful the Canadians allocated resources for that program when they did. If you need scions for later pears to experiment with just let me know. Harrow sweet can be a very good pear.

1 Like

Just picked my first crop!

10 Likes

Enjoy they are excellent!

1 Like

Harrow Sweet. Great taste and doesn’t make you wait forever for fruit.

6 Likes

Seldom do I see photos of the tree posted so I grabbed a photo tonight of Harrow sweet. These pears are incredible this year so far. Harrow sweet is a 8 or 9 on a 10 scale in 2021. The trees are petite in comparison with most pear trees.

7 Likes

These Harrow sweet are fantastic today is September 19th and these have been ripened to perfection. Another Harrow sweet is over a week away from being ripe. This Harrow sweet would easily weigh in at over a half pound. That’s the largest I’ve ever grown.

7 Likes

Harvested the first ones off my tree this year. I figured they’d be good from the descriptions here, but they were even better than I was expecting. Absolutely amazing pear.

5 Likes

Yes!! I was pleasantly surprised with about 100 of these Harrow Sweets this year on rootstock of Bradford. I will get pics later but they are huge and amazingly sweet!! Full on sugar.

4 Likes

Is it safe to pick the harrow sweet even if it’s a bit green and let it ripen up in a box or on the counter?

1 Like

@zazlev

Yes you can if you tilt them up and they break off pick them all. The sugar content is so high you will start attracting unwanted guests in some cases. Ants, animals, you name it wants sugar this time of year.

2 Likes

Yessir. Thank you!! The yellow jackets have been at em for a few weeks already. I reckon ill box the 50 or so up. Amazing how awesome this tree is doing on Bradford pear rootstock.

2 Likes

I tried my first Harrow Sweet this year. I’m in love. The texture reminds me a little of Comice. I wonder what other pears have that marshmallow buttery texture.

3 Likes

I got my first crop of harrow sweet last Fall (5 pears). Very young tree as was only 5’ tall. Amazed at the sweetness and the fine texture. I think it blows bartlett away in quality!
Looking forward to when I have enough to see how they do canned up.

This year my tree is bigger and has 9 pears on it. The fruit is really huge this year.
Eating the first one today (windfall that ripened early). Rest should be ready in 10 days.

Ross: You are right! The texture is as smooth as Comice. I dont grow Comice but I have 2 friends that do. They get so big the wind blows a lot of them off before they are fully ready to harvest. If I ever plant Comice I will put it in a protected site from westerly winds.

3 Likes

Echo what everyone else says here.

Size up, though, on the vigor of the rootstock. It’s so precocious that I assume that stunting it out through overbearing as a young tree would be a real threat.

3 Likes