Harrow sweet pears aka HW609

Mine is in a shady area so they don’t look as ready as yours.

The ones grafted in a bit sunnier area may ripen sooner.

Wild life? I thought they are all in my yard.

2 Likes

Harrow sweet are very close today is September 10th.

16 Likes

Those are fine looking pears. Thanks for the photos :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Great looking pears. Looks like a nice year for that pear.

1 Like

Nice! I can’t wait!

1 Like

Northwest IL. 9.11.2022

The low-hanging are blushed beautifully and could be counter ripened for certain.

The two green ones are not ready.

This is my first harvest of pears, whatsoever.

This is what I’m calling green:

This was like a 1/2 inch Rootstock; grafted/planted 2018

10 Likes

Don’t let your head explode from those sugar bombs :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Always feels good to get them in the buckets. Today is September 11 2022

14 Likes

What type of pears are they?

1 Like

European

1 Like

Always miss picking a few maybe on purpose. Typically pick the straglers as i pick other trees. Sweet and delicious characteristic of their name. They can be large when properly thinned. The trees are bad about overproducing. The only downside to this pear is there are not enough of them.

8 Likes

I thought you were going to say the downside is they don’t keep for an entire year :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@snowflake

Thats true as well great point!

3 Likes

@clarkinks tell me why the green pear (none yellow yet, one of (2 green) was stolen!) punks…! tilted and feell right to my hand while the red-blushed and (are slightly yellow vs. no more green, barely!) - the green tilted and fell off while the yellow & blushed wouldn’t budge so I had to use a sharp tool.

I figured I’d let Harrow sweet go to yellow on the tree… then bring them inside until they perfume the air and then I’d know they are ready. Good, bad, idea, which? Thanks

1 Like

my (3) I picked are solid as rocks - still. There’s another reason I left them on. thank you

1 Like

@Barkslip

The tree it sounds like is still young so the pears wont be perfect this year. If one has been stolen you better pick the others they should be very close and let them turn yellow inside. The pears should still be very good once they soften and turn yellow.

3 Likes

tu Clark

1 Like

Does anybody know of a Canadian nursery that carries harrow sweet? Although I live closer to harrow than almost anyone here no local nursery seems to stock it which is surprising to me given all the amazing reviews here.

1 Like

@Bernie @hungryfrozencanuck4b @jessica4b could one of you help @Piblarg find a reputable Canadian nursery to purchase harrow sweet from? The canadian praries must be similar to Kansas in many ways. The romance cherries and harrow pears all do very well here.

These are very delicious! Cannot recommend them enough! Notice the unusual neck with many of these pears. That neck can help with identification.

11 Likes