Harrow sweet pears aka HW609

Great idea. I should give it a try that way. I would imagine all the Comice scions from people are gone by now. So I will probably have to wait to get a scion next year.

My tree flowered for the first time this year and wow are they precocious, about 5 sets of blooms on a 4 foot tree. It pains me removing the tiny pears already forming but I know it will help the tree and will hopefully get a good first crop next year.

Another awesome trait is how late they bloom! They and Harrow Delight bloomed latest of all of my other pears so far and escaped a late freeze here. Magness on the other hand flowered for the first time also but the flowers were damaged in the freeze unfortunately while Harrow pears flowered late enough to have no damage!

3 Likes

I chip grafted my Hosui with a Harrow Sweet last Spring. The graft took, but it’s very slow growing and it’s being overtaken by a larger Hosui branch. I was looking to regraft it at another spot of the tree for redundancy.

However I can’t find Harrow Sweet scions to purchase anywhere. Last year I got the scion at Cricket Hill. This year they haven’t stocked it. Does anyone have any pointers?

1 Like