Haskap/honeyberry...video demonstrates the productiveness of this fruit bush

only 2 i have near each other are indigo gem/ treat about 4ft apart. the rest are 20-30ft from each other and are pollinated just fine. like Jessie said, bumbles all over them.

2 Likes

Mine have taken a few years to bear. Some were just little twigs when planted, so got off to a slow start. They seem to like water, too. Hopefully this year you will see a harvest.

2 Likes

My two are about 3 ft apart…24 inch tall.

They did better last year than in previous years… lots of rain last year. Kept their leaves all season. Mine are mulched with pinebark. I will give them 50 lbs compost soon and more mulch… perhaps this spring I will get some fruit.

2 Likes

What is the PH of your soil? Haskap will tolerate an alkaline soil, but grow more quickly in an acidic soil. My soil has a PH of 8 and I just have to be patient, they eventually get there. I’ve read somewhere a PH of around 6 is optimum.

2 Likes

Try a little sulfur sprinkled around a bush or two and see if there is a difference.

2 Likes

My soil is normally in the 5.5 range.

I may need to check that bed to find out for sure.

I have some hollytone… that i fertilize blueberries with. That shoud work right?

Below is what they look like today…

1 Like

No–if you are at 5.5 for Honeyberry, don’t be adding more acid…if in doubt a test might be in order. 5.5 good for blueberries…6.5 be much better for honeyberries

1 Like

Looks ok to me…especially the closest one

1 Like

The closest one has done better… in the first few years the one in the back would loose leaves by end of june… the larger one did some of that too but only later in the year. Last year was the first year that both kept leaves the full season… perhaps they are finally getting tuf enough for southern middle TN.

Are those Indigo Gem or ?

From the late bloomers that OGW offers…

Blue pagoda, Blue sea.

Think the one up close (more bushy) is sea… and the more upright one in the back is pogata.

2 Likes

I can believe that. Pagoda looked straggly for me also. I eventually planted it in someone’s yard for edible landscaping along / Blue Velvet/Blue Moon.

Blue Sea I’d never seen. The Indigo Gem I mentioned may be even more thick and spreading.

gem and treat have pretty good berries but are a pain to pick . low sprawling bushes .

1 Like

I’ve arrived at that conclusion and mine are only 8 inches high by 10…no fruit…not sure about coming season…but I doubt it.

The critters don’t bother them ? I don’t see protection.

Steve, have you entertained the idea of putting a sheet down and retrofitting a Sawzall to harvest honeyberries? I have seen videos (probably here but from YouTube) of a pvc pipe contraption that was extremely efficient compared to hand harvest. I imagine a few fast jolts wouldn’t damage the main structure of the bush.

So far no critters have bothered them… no browsing by deer… there has been no fruit yet… flash tape works well on birds with my blueberries… and I have some bird netting i could put over them if needed.

I have one of those quick ph testers… and poked it in the ground there… 6.6. Higher than I expected but does not seem too far off.

???

1 Like

Honeyberries are more able to tolerate variances than blueberries…6.6 I’d think about ideal on the honeyberry…but somebody else may have more experience and give a better reply.

I am sure they are ok at 6.5 I just haven’t pushed their limits to see the range they tolerate.

2 Likes

they are so low to the ground it would be hard to get something under there. i plan to try and prune them for more upright growth. they dont produce nearly as well as aurora so im not worried about it too much.

Might make good plant for the porch or patio?

2 Likes