Haskap/honeyberry...video demonstrates the productiveness of this fruit bush

they probably would but would need alot of watering.

I can report that my soil is a heavy loam with pH 7.5 - 8 and my haskap won’t give an inch.

1 Like

I transplanted some large haskap bushes and can say they have some hefty roots after 10 or 12 years! I sawed a few into pieces.

3 Likes

That to DIVIDE the plant and make more? Sounds like lots of effort on an old plant though.

Builds muscles.

3 Likes

Commercial spacing, 4’. Plant two in the same root zone and it will guaranteed hurt production.

2 Likes

They tolerate a wide range of pH, no need to sulfur. I’ve tested various ranges, pH does not have a huge effect on this plant. Or at least for me it didn’t, lest I get eaten alive by someone that had poor experience with it. Lack of water and overfertilization I’ve seen to be the biggest modulators in honeyberries. (I have a commercial orchard, I’ve experimented with many different setups).

3 Likes

I have bushes that would put the production in the video to shame :crazy_face:. I can attest I’ve seen bushes in my orchard that are more berry than bush.

4 Likes

please share your fertilizing practices, type of soil you’re growing in etc… mine are growing well but not that well yet.

2 Likes

I tried tomato fertilizer regimes at first without good luck. That tended to burn the plant roots or foliage long run. The best thing I’ve arrived at is horse manure that is well composted. Talk to your local horse yards or farms, you’d be shocked how many are willing to give you crap :poop: in exchange for mucking out stalls. :joy::man_facepalming: Jokes aside, a nice ring of manure around the base in early spring does well. I also use various foliar feeds throughout the season. You want to encourage a fungal dominated soil structure around honey berries. Half of my orchard is on typical clay/shale base. I excavated a circle four times the size of a full size plant root ball around each plant. I backfilled with top soil and peat moss. The lower orchard is in a flood plain that floods at least twice a year. Besides having to heave some soil back up on the larger roots, they grow rather well in the partial wetland conditions. I liken it to the Nile Delta; when the flood recedes it leaves key micronutrients the plants need. The rest I supplement with foliar. When I experimented I tried various different types of soils and didn’t find much difference, except the addition of sand. It helps with their small feeder roots and in future plantings I’ll add 10% sand or so to the mix. Too much though and they dry out fast. They are naturally a bog plant. Not out of necessity, but they compete well with other bog plants. The bog like conditions in my lower fields tend to stifle weed growth. In the formative years, ANY weeds around the plant are highly detrimental. I keep my orchard as weed free as possible. Honey berries are very poor at competing and will stunt out easily. Those would be my hints :shushing_face::wink:

5 Likes

mine are in clay soil mulched with fresh woodchips every spring. ive been using chic bedding but sparingly. i put it on the surface and cover with wood chips. i have access to floodplain silt. i may try to add some next spring. i need to get into the habit of spreading manure in the fall instead of spring. thanks for the tips.

2 Likes

@blueberry @steveb4 @krismoriah — paid close attention to my two honeyberry bushes this year (closer than in the past anyway).

The more upright one Blue Pagoda leafed out and bloomed ahead of the shorter bushy one Blue Sea…

And just about the time the Blue Pagoda stopped blooming, maybe had a few stragglers left but not much… the Blue Sea started blooming.

So that is my no fruit issue… the two I have just miss each other on bloom time.

In the 2019 OGW catalog that I ordered them from, they had two lists of HB… early bloomers and late bloomers. Both of these were listed as late bloomers so I figured OK.

I just noticed in the 2021 catalog they only list “Early bloomers” and all are listed together, including my two. There is no section for Late Bloomers.

If mine are actually true to the name… my Blue Pagoda is a Early Bloomer and my Blue Sea is a Late bloomer.

I need a (mid season bloomer) to plant in between them or nearby.

Or I could replace my Blue Pagoda (early bloomer) with another Later blooming variety.

Anyone know of a good source for HB bush varieties list by Bloom period ?
Or know of some later blooming varieties that have nice berries, taste good, productive ?

Thanks
TNHunter

2 Likes

Honeyberryusa lists their plants for sale by bloom date. Early/Mid, Early, Mid, Mid/Late, Late

https://honeyberryusa.com/honeyberry-plants-1.html

2 Likes

. seems they are even later than the boreal series.

1 Like

Found this today… looks like my Early HB did set just a few berries… found 4 or 5.

Would be nice to finally get to eat one.

My late bush is covered in blooms now with no pollinator…

@steveb4 @BlueBerry @krismoriah

3 Likes

That one is Pagoda? I have not tasted it. But I assume you’ll at least half-like it!
My Indigo Treat has about 3 berries. The only other option for pollination being Boreal
Blizzard if I recall…and it has one berry set that looks partially fertilized…deformed.
My others have/had no blooms.

Yes @BlueBerry that is on my Early HB Blue Pagoda (more upright). Just a few, 4-5 berries found so far.

My later bloomer (Blue Sea, more bushy, wide) is covered in blooms… Perhaps a few of the early ones pollinated with my Pagoda, and I will get a few from both. Hope so.

My blueberries are loaded this year, blooms and small fruit now.

I would plant more of these HB Bushes… if I could just find out for sure they taste OK.
Would not have to be great, just OK, as long as they are extra early (b4 goumi like).

TNHunter

2 Likes

The HB surprise you … expect blue berries in May. (Often they need just a little longer after turning blue, like many blueberries do–before picking them.) I don’t like Goji berries…I’d rather eat juniper berries. But, I think you’ll find honeyberries acceptable…and perhaps even a favorite.

1 Like

I remember buying my first honeyberry plants off a lady near Knoxville…her elderly husband retired from UT…
and I figured if they could succeed in Knoxville, I could in Kentucky.
That over a decade ago.

Getting big enough starts, then taking care of them for the first year … and it gets easier.

I lost a ‘Honeybee’ plant for some reason.
And I lost a Tana in a tiny pot from tissue culture.
Other than that, plants look good going into cold months.

1 Like

TNHunter, did you get any fruits from your plants this past summer?
I used to have Blue Moon and Blue Velvet…late bloomers like yours.
I’ve migrated to early and mid varieties, but am interested in recent
developments.

Any 2022
promising new honeyberry releases anybody know of?