Hauer Pippin!

Nice looking late apple! I will let you know when they ripen up! There are only 4 on the tree this year. They are hard as a rock right now which is just the way i want them so the insects, birds, and varmints are leaving them alone.

Its September 14th so the last of the wickson (shown below) are getting ready to drop on the same multigrafted tree. 2019 was not a good apple year.

12 Likes

I grow Hauer Pippin as well, and really like it, but: I have never seen a yellow one. The green one in the middle is more typical of an unripe example, at least in my environment. They are indeed very hard and not much bothered by pests or disease, and they are excellent keepers.

3 Likes

@jerry cant wait to see them in a few months!

Hauer Pippin is one of my rare winners here even unsprayed.

5 Likes

Forgot to update this last seaon, @clarkinks, but here are a few ripe examples:

This little guy is my HP tree. It was planted by the folks whom I purchased the property from about a dozen years ago. It’s obviously on dwarf rootstock, though I don’t know which one. They’d neglected it and it had a rootstock sucker as big as the graft when we got here, but it recovered just fine once that was removed. It bears heavily every year. Still has a lot of apples on it despite a good number of wind-related drops and a small picking for friends a few days ago. The drops are in my cooler, as these apples are rarely damaged by falling. I’ll likely pick the rest off today.

11 Likes

@jerry,

Thats a gorgeous tree thank you for posting photos of it.

So the green Hauer pippins are the unripened apples and the red ones are the ripe ones? Just making sure I was reading this thread correctly.
Sounds like an apple I need to look into getting. I like the apples that the birds/insects leave alone. Are they harder fleshed as well?

2 Likes

Yes, they’re typically red when ripe. Fully-shaded areas may remain green-ish. They have prominent lenticels and a distinctive bloom, and they are indeed very firm-fleshed.

Trees of Antiquity is a good source, and they still have some in stock for 2021.

2 Likes

TY, I will order Hauer Pippin from them and try it out here. Looks like a great apple.

1 Like

Hauer Pippin: A friend’s HP is covered with cedar apple rust this year, a really bad case, almost as severe as I’ve seen Goldrush. In past I have recommended HP as pretty disease resistant but need to modify that now.

Another HP I know grows with no CAR, with lots of cedars nearby.

3 Likes

I had a Hauer pippin graft from last year that had six apples on it this year. They all got bitter rot. I don’t think it’s going to make the cut around these parts. My gold rush has major rot problems but I’m on track to lose only 10% to rot. Six apples is a small sample size,
So I may let it go one more year but I’m not optimistic. Bummer, I was excited to have another late ripener in Hauer. Seems like it does real well in other areas.

3 Likes