Healthiest Fruits to grow

No, I love jam too, but only consume it maybe once a week at most. What I have been doing is making smoothies with Greek yogurt (vanilla), coconut milk and whatever fruit I have frozen. man it’s very good. Probably high in calories, but lot’s of goodness there. The yogurt especially Greek tastes very sweet to me, no need for sugar.

Elderberries are not tart, and they are the blackest thing I have ever seen. i don’t grow aronia, that looks very dark too. The elderberries are like looking into a black hole, eerily dark, strange looking. I’m thinking wine for these! I just bought a book I plan to buy a few more. I’ll read this one first.

People mentioned deficiencies, my dad at one time had berry-berry and also scurvy. Not to mention a tape worm and malaria too. The things people do for their country…
POW 3 years 4 months.

5 Likes

Here’s a list of fruits with highest fiber- raspberries, blackberries rank high again. Constant struggle for me to get enough fiber.

2 Likes

Drew - Your making me hungry. When I return from a hard climb, I make myself a blender full of smoothie and no I don’t share :wink: I have to try it coconut milk!

Regarding ANDI, it was defined by Dr. Joel Fuhrman, adopted by whole foods market nationally in all their stores since 2010.

Here is how ANDI score is calculated – you decided if it’s useful or if its notoriously flawed or for entertainment only!

To determine the ANDI scores, an equal-calorie serving of each food was evaluated. The following nutrients were included in the evaluation: fiber, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium, vitamin A, beta carotene, alpha carotene, lycopene, lutein and zeaxanthin, vitamin E, vitamin C, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, vitamin B6, folate, vitamin B12, choline, vitamin K, phytosterols, glucosinolates, angiogenesis inhibitors, organosulfides, aromatase inhibitors, resistant starch, resveratrol plus ORAC score. ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) is a measure of the antioxidant or radical scavenging capacity of a food. For consistency, nutrient quantities were converted from their typical measurement conventions (mg, mcg, IU) to a percentage of their Dietary Reference Intake (DRI).

Its only a guideline, just because Kale has an ANDI score of 1000 and figs only 60. It doesn’t mean you can live on just Kale! I might try to add more Kale to what I eat but I would rather grow nectarines/figs any day than Kale :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We were trying to find a good substitute for milk. We are not big drinkers of milk and it would always go bad. We don’t really care for almond milk, coconut is more like it. I like real milk better, but I can down this, and it has a long shelf life.
I have raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, currants, and peaches to use. i have enough to last well into spring. I just found a container of black raspberries. I will extract juice from them and remove seeds, make a syrup with no sugar, just whatever boils down, I do raspberries both ways, seeds, no seeds. All blackberries the seeds are removed. I minimize heat, most though are eaten raw, so all the nutrients are there.

1 Like

…and my favorites; mulberries and jujubes…the “Rodney Dangerfields” of the fruit world (no respect).

2 Likes

Have you tried chocolate cashew milk? I myself do not like most nut milks unless they are chocolate.

No, sounds tasty! I will try it. We still need a white liquid for cooking and such.

Moose I am so with you on the Black Currants. They make the best jam, IMHO, but many do not like the taste, more for us! I had four bushes, one died last summer. After this latest huge snowfall, with below normal temps for us I hope they survive. I could not stand not having a crop of Black Currants for JAM!!!

1 Like

Silk has unsweetened and vanilla cashew milks. Walmart has a decent price. So delicious and other brands make it too. I like it much better than almond milk.

1 Like

What don’t you like about Almond MIlk, just bought some, ugh, :hushed::grinning::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

That is an interesting guideline- very thorough and probably as good as could be done, but no criteria.could really determine a fruits relative usefulness without factoring in what people are most likely to be deficient in. Of course the ideal ORAC intake can’t be gauged because their is no minimum daily requirement. For someone to refer to this list to decide what fruit to eat wouldn’t make much sense to me.

I also wonder where the fruit came from- I know that even without factoring when they are picked or how they are grown, various varieties of apples have quite a wide range of nutrients, especially Vitamin C. Also the wide difference between peaches and nectarines on their list seems very suspicious, and if that is a mistake, what else there might be.

love them so much, im addding 3 more cultivars .have 2 consort and 1 clove currant. clove currant was planted last season. hopefully i get to taste them next summer. one of my favs for sure! i like to eat them strait once fully ripe. my fiancé’ thinks they stink. she doesn’t like their musky smell. they will survive just fine. i do nothing to protect mine and they have come thru -35f 2 winters ago with 0 damage.

and i like the almond milk. :wink:

I wonder if ORAC uses only intracellular antioxidants or all of them. Because only those which can get into a cell (like vitamin C) can really help.

Alan - Good points! I am sure our backyard fruits not only taste better but are healthier too!

mrsg, moose71 Sorry - I am also on the group that dislikes almond milk - too chalky. I do like all chocolate milks though.
Drew - Someone awhile ago taught me to soak quick/instant oats and then blend it with fruits for smoothie (instead of milk) - That works quite well too, makes it very creamy.

I am going to try coconut and cashew!

1 Like

I will give it a try, the coconut milk is good though, I have no problem with it. It’s not great though, cashew may be something I like a lot! So yeah I’ll be trying it.

LOL!
Yeah the coconut is better and I’ll have to try the cashew Besides the long shelf life these products have more calcium than milk and probably a few other things too. I have some medical problems that at times gives me acid stomach, and even heartburn. For me nothing works better than milk, so some milk product has to be in the fridge at all times.

I agree, first thing I thought.

Yes, very different than anything else. I too will eat them fresh. Heck i want to compare cultivars, the only way is to taste them.
I have Goliath,Minaj Smyriou, Tiben, Titania, Crandall (clove), Ben Sarek
Black Semptember, and Consort.
I gave out 5 packages this year of cuttings, so no more wood this year, but always willing to trade wood for other cultivars.
They don’t have a long life and can die on you as MrsG mentions. I would keep backups once plants get to be 5 years old. Pruning helps keep them vigorous.Old canes become unproductive too.

I take it that the currants being talked about here are not the grape kind.

Best fruit post ever.

2 Likes

The more palatable are the more healthy, because you’ll actually eat them.

4 Likes