Help with small orchard design

My order from Vaughn was about 4-5 years ago for 4 peach trees. Like you said, they may gave changed their policy.

1 Like

I think that would be a good choice. I was looking at some varieties at Cummins but they only have Krymsk 6. From what I can find it looks like it could work. Do you know much about it?

I have an Early Star Cherry on Krymsk 5. It has grown well in a 4 FT x 4FT x 1FT raised container. No cherries yet. Best I can tell about Krymsk …

1 Like

Seems like to me there is a big difference in Peach rootstocks as well. Someone on this site had a great review of them. Of course now I cannot find that little post of theirs to look at.

I looked for awhile too and couldn’t find much… I emailed Stark Bros and they said their peach would most likely be on Halford rootstock and the cherry I was looking at was on Mahaleb.

I got Contender and Intrepid peaches from stark bros and the rootstocks have definitely seemed cold hardy, on the phone i inquired and they said they were “rootstock seedlings” so it would have been great to know what kind however they made it here so i am satisfied. Both peaches have been great and very cold hardy as well as blossom cold hardiness, although i favor Contender both make amazing peaches.

I gotta say i very much enjoy the gisela rootstocks for my cherry trees they have all been cold hardy free standing and have kept my cherries at a small stature very easily and would reccomend them.

2 Likes

My cherries I ordered from raintree nursery on Gisela 5 and they have done well in southern Wisconsin.

2 Likes

A friend of mine really recommended it, but since I have heavy clay soil I am reluctant to plant it right now (I might try in the future, but will then have to replace the soil). Their berries are really healthy and even the wild ones my friend planted bear well. IMO if you like Sea buckthorn it is totally worth if, but if you don’t it is too much of a hassle (root control, planting male and female plants, the thorns…).

What do you mean by root control? Have you tasted them? I have an area on the edge of my property it mostly sun and sand that they’d probably do really well in.

Also, I was able to find this chart which gives a pretty good comparison of different rootstock.

http://fowlernurseries.com/Rootstocks.htm

Sea buckthorn a few strawberries in orange juice and protein smoothie is pretty amazing tastes like a orange julius. Im not sure raw off the tree they would be my thing but they are nutritious.

Thanks, that sounds like it would be worth trying!

1 Like

No, I haven’t tasted them yet.

I have been warned that they can be very invasive, so much so that a rhizome barrier should always be placed. They are notorious for building impenetrable thickets in short time. Though after further looking them up, I read that the cultivars seem to be much less aggressive in their expansion.

Onegreenworld extensively tested them and they have a lot of cultivars:

Id like to point out that i have only tried the wild(ish since this is the us) ones and possibly the named varieties may be worth eating raw

1 Like

You aren’t kidding about a lot of cultivars… I don’t remember them having that many options last time Iooked. I’ll probably end up trying a few next year.