Henry fields

Many people have ordered from Henry fields , Gurneys or others in the conglomerate. It is worth noting they are one in the same company gardens alive. They have made it official that gurneys and henry fields are now together Gurney's - America's Most Complete Seed and Nursery

Gardens Alive! - Wikipedia!

2 Likes

Gardenā€™s Alive conglomerate:

(From Daveā€™s Garden)

6 Likes

Thank you for the update info. I am trying to just buy from places that do not use neonicotinoids on anything they grow or seeds they sell. It is hard to find these companies.
Even ā€œorganicā€ does not mean they do not use these products. You have to end up emailing each company to find out.

5 Likes

@MikeC

Yes most companies do use them. What do you not like about them? Im assuming impact on insects is your concern.

Yes, I am trying to keep the pollinatorā€™s from getting this chemical into their system. There are bee hives on neighbors properties on two sides of my property as well. Every little bit helps. There is one nursery about an hour away from me that grows their own plants without them using neonicotinoids. I buy my plants from them every year since I found out they grew their own plants like that. It would be nice to find other nurseries like that and seed companies that do not use the neonicos.

3 Likes

Thanks @FarmGirl-Z6A for that list. Sorry I never noticed it originally.

That ā€˜conglomerateā€™ as you say makes a lot of sensational comments and exaggerations.
Some stuff is bargain, some is junk. Like a trip to a big box store, better be up on things that are tough and realize you may lose the others they send.

I didnā€™t realize Thompson and Morgan still did business hereā€¦years ago Iā€™d get their catalogs. Many many years ago.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve heard that one can be blacklisted from these companies for using their ā€œguaranteeā€ too frequently.

I fear I might find myself facing this as I have a rose Iā€™ve tried to get that Iā€™ve already had to file a claim on and I will be filing another claim this year on one from part of the conglomerate.

This time I ponied up for the bigger size bare root plant and the plant which I received last spring is definitely the wrong variety.

2 Likes

Most neonicotinoids in the U.S. are used as coatings on seeds for field crops like corn, soybeans,cotton, wheat, peanuts, sunflowers and many vegetables. Commercial lawn treatments for grubs and other in ground pests.

Some use them to kill bugs in the plants during the growing seasons there. The neonics stay in the soil and get absorbed into the plant. I understand what you are saying but according to the people that own nurseries that do not use neonics they have told me this plus what I have read. All sorts of different opinions on this. But , for me, I avoid buying from places that use neonics , IF I know they use them. I have contacted a lot of the catalog companies over the last few years and most have replied. If I get no answer I figure they use neonics. I get different types of answers but even if they do not give me a direct " yes" or ā€œnoā€ answer you can tell they do by their corporate double speak.

Huh. Back in the day when tobacco was a big crop; we often used good old tobacco dust{crumbled tobacco leaf detria} to treat certain pests.

2 Likes