Here comes the 2021 Apple and pear harvest!

Thank you @tonyOmahaz5 I see why these are frequently confused.

1 Like

First year we let our espalier trees fruit! Stayman Winesap on the left, Summer Banana on the right. No spray, but I would probably spray for CAR next year. I found bagging really helped keep them nice.

3 Likes

Yellowjackets ate into my Chestnut crabapples. I picked the few I had and was surprised that their taste was very unique. A keeper for me.

2 Likes

Stan,
I found the Vavilov became over ripe with core breakdown very quickly so I think best to eat crunchy and not try to ripen very long. It seems that most of the early pears are best that way. California is the only really early pear that seems to save fairly well for me. I picked the first week in August and they are still saving in the refer without core breakdown.

1 Like

Here is the Asian pear without tag. What variety can it be? The color is golden bronze. Pear is small to medium size. Very sweet.

4 Likes

This looks like Chojuro. @mamuang @clarkinks @tonyOmahaz5 what do you guys think?

EDIT: We were discussing this in another thread a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes

When I last researched, it is among the Hosui, Chojuro and Shinko. Not sure which one. Harvested yesterday.

1 Like

Looks just like my Chojuros. I harvested mine a couple weeks ago in 6B Kansas.

2 Likes

Korean Giant is unusually early this year. Here’s one that had a bird peck at it. It could definitely use another week, but was nice and sweet.

4 Likes

I think the circled two are best and the others a little early like PharmerDrewee suggests:

3 Likes

How do you like Korean Giant compared to the others?

I have Chojuro, Korean Giant, Hosui, and Seuri Li on the same tree.

The 3 Hosui are done and were excellent. Chojuro not quite ready. Seuri Li only one fruit is still rock hard. Should I start checking my Korean Giant? They aren’t giant yet, but set well and look clean.

1 Like

Your Korean giant is very early! Mine won’t be ready for another month or more depends on fall temperature. Are you sure it is Korean giant?
BTW How is your shin li doing?

I really like Korean Giant. The texture is nice. It’s definitely a very dense/harder pear, but not tough. The sweetness and flavor are more simple than Hosui — no real tartness or strong butterscotch. Maybe cane sugar is an accurate description of the flavor? I prefer Hosui and Korean Giant to Chojuro, and have no experience with Seuri Li.

@IL847 Yes, I actually have 2 Korean Giant trees from different sources, and the fruit are the same. They ripen at the end of September or early October previously. I don’t think most of the others on the tree are near ripe yet. Shin Li still has white seeds! I found one that a squirrel pulled down today and it was definitely nowhere near ripe. Mine are getting very large with a size comparable to Korean Giant.

Here’s one of the last Hosui to ripen. This one has a decently spread out harvest window. I’ve been picking them for nearly a month with the latest ones over twice the size of the early ones.

5 Likes

Your Hosui looks very nice. Large size and clean. I bet it taste very good too. I have Shin li grafted but has not set fruits yet. I hope it is not a late season pear. I still have couple of Daisui li in theshade of the tree turning light yellow. I think they are ripe. My Yongi has changed color as well and I think it’s ripe too.

1 Like

OFM have not been prevalent at all this year. Only a handful of fruit have been affected so far. I thinned all the fruit that got bitten by plum curculio. Stink bugs were moderately harsh on Drippin Honey with a good portion of fruit exhibiting bites. They ignored Hosui, Shin Li, and Shinsui.

1 Like

We just got buried with a huge drippin honey and ayers harvest. Each crop was hundreds of pounds of pears so friends came to help pick and eat pears.

2 Likes

Chojuro in my opinion would be more yellow. Did it taste like butterscotch? Was the skin rough or smooth my guess is rough.

To me, the skin feels smooth (subjective). There is a green yellow skin below the bronze skin. The flesh is juicy and fine texture.

1 Like

Chojuro and hosui can have the distinct taste of butterscotch. It may take another year or two growing it before we know.

1 Like

I took California out of the refrigerator this week. They had turned from the dull color to a brighter red and I rated them 4 out of 5. Not many pears get a 5 around here. I just picked all Paragon and Shenandoah plus a few Bosc. This will be my first year to try the Paragon and Shenandoah. I’m really anxious to taste Paragon (Yungen). Hopefully it will save in good conditon until Comice is ready. I should still have some Magness/Warrens to taste as well. I also picked most Harrow Sweet last week - I think they shoulkd have been picked sooner. Here are some pictures:

16 Likes